File and location of content database

I'm wondering if it would just be easier for me to work with the content database directly instead of through the Daz database manager. I work with dbfs, csvs and tab delimited files daily (although I'm guessing the database manager uses xml :( ) I just need to find the actual database file.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

You can find the location (Content Cluster Location) in Edit > Preferences > CMS

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Ahh, thank you

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

It's not XML, CSV or tab delimited, it's an actual relational database.  It's PostgreSQL.  You can actually point an independant version of psql at it, and explore the database.  It's pretty nice, if you're used to that sort of thing.  Once, I even pointed it over the internet to a remote host of mine.  Didn't work out so well (it's super-chatty, expecting it to be a local db), but it was fun. :)

--  Morgan

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

It's not XML, CSV or tab delimited, it's an actual relational database.  It's PostgreSQL.  You can actually point an independant version of psql at it, and explore the database.  It's pretty nice, if you're used to that sort of thing.  Once, I even pointed it over the internet to a remote host of mine.  Didn't work out so well (it's super-chatty, expecting it to be a local db), but it was fun. :)

--  Morgan

Yeah...there's lots of tools that you can use to play around with it.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

I've installed a free program called pgAdminIII to look at the database. Use 127.0.0.1 as the host address, get the port number from Daz Studio settings and use dzcms as the user name. It doesn't seem to matter what you enter for the password.

My SQL is a bit rusty but I've had a look at the tables and so far I haven't managed to figure out how it works. Is there any documentation on this?

SQL eh? Well, I've known I need to learn that anyway. I guess this is a good reason to start.

SQL eh? Well, I've known I need to learn that anyway. I guess this is a good reason to start.

You may not have to, depending on what you want to do. pgAdminIII has a spreadsheet style interface for displaying table contents. I haven't tried using it to update records but I expect it can, I've used other SQL tools that could do that.

SQL becomes useful when you need to find particular records in a table with lots of entries, and it is essential if you need to deal with related entries in different tables.

From what I have read in the forum posts about upgrading to 4.9 I think that there are two sets of tables in the database, some actually used by 4.9 and some legacy tables that aren't used anymore but are there to allow data to be migrated from earlier versions. So as well as having to figure out what the tables are used for and how they relate to each other you have the added fun of trying to figure out which tables are actually used at all. It would be great if there was some documentation on this, I know, this is Daz, but we can always wish...

I was trying to create dsx and dsa files to drop int he Runtime\support folder so that Daz would see all my sharecg, rendo, rdna, etc stuff and place them under products in the content library with all the files listed for ease of use (since I tend to lose them as well as any options easily in the poser directory tree)

Anyways, that hasn't worked yet so I figured it might be easier to add them directly to the database. I know Daz has the built in database manager, but it's too tedious and slow for me (slow as in time it takes to add a single entry to the database)

Anyways, I will be sure to check out that pgAdminlll :) thank you

I hadn't thought of doing it that way but it might be easier than trying to figure out how the database works. I know that it creates .dsx files when you export user data, what do .dsa files do?

My main problem is stuff that won't appear in categories. Before 4.9 I could categorize anything, now I've got some items that won't appear in category folders. If I try and categorize them I get the yellow tick that should mean they are in the category, but when I look at the category they are not there. Removing them and putting them back, re-installing, nothing I've tried will fix this. I think there musr be some inconsistency between parts of the database that makes the categorize function show them as ticked while the category display doesn't think they are there. Maybe I could force them into categories by creating a fake user data export file.

That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't get it to work.

As far as categories and 4.9, I think you need to uncheck the box below the smart content window to get your added ones to show up.

If you mean the "Filter By Context" checkbox, that doesn't make any difference. This is a different problem. I think that checkbox only affects Smart Content, I am using categories in the Content Library tab.

ahh, I don't think I've messed with that yet.