Render Differences in DAZ 4.9

OkarioOkario Posts: 18

Hi.

I've got a little situation. Until now, I was working with DAZ4.8, and next week, I finally install DAZ 4.9 and made some render, without any problems, until I re-made a render from a previous scene , and the result was really different : 

DAZ 4.8:

And in DAZ 4.9

As you can see, the light from the window is missing, and all the scene seems colorless.

My scene was a save made in DAZ 4.8, with the set "i13 Comfortable Living Room" already load, without any modifications. Do I need to reload the set in my scene to fix the problem or some assets have problmes with DAZ 4.9?

Thank you in advance.

Mod Edit:- Images Removed for Nudity     Please take note of bullet point #1 in the DAZ 3D Forum TOS, General Code of Conduct.      http://www.daz3d.com/terms-of-service

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• OkarioOkario Posts: 18
    edited April 2016

Sorry for that. I put a censured version here : 

DAZ 4.8

DAZ 4.9 :

Please check this thread    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • What are the settings under Environment in the Render Settings pane's Editor tab? What choices do you have set in Edit>Preferences>Scene tab in the Render Settings group?

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

So the main difference here is the gobo effect for the lighting, right? You had a patterned light coming into the scene in the 4.8 version, but it's gone in the 4.9 version.

The first thing I'd do is check that whatever produced this lighting effect is in fact still in the scene. This type of lighting effect can be created using a distant or spot light with a patterned transparency in front of it, and it looks like the entire light is gone.

The "colorless" aspect of the scene might be from this missing light, so I'd first concentrate on why this light is not showing. The rest may take care of itself when the light is back on.

Tobor said:

So the main difference here is the gobo effect for the lighting, right? You had a patterned light coming into the scene in the 4.8 version, but it's gone in the 4.9 version.

Thank you for this information :)

Anyone know if DAZ going to make an update of the products who use thant kind of effect ? It seems weird for me to buy something (here a set with light include) and to lose a part of what I bought.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

I am pretty sure that this is not a 4.8 to 4.9 issue. I suspect it is as simple as some setting change. It won't hurt to reload a "Ready to Render" scene and retry.

edited April 2016

Update, I have the same issue as the Op. I'm rendering in 4.9.1.30 and don't get the sun through the blinds effect. The documentation doesn't have a tips and tricks file. I have just preloaded the scene.

I get a nice evenly lit scene but no "gobo stky" effect. The scene has a distant light at the window and partially open blinds. I've tried putting a spotlight out side the window instead of the the distant light, with no change. Using the default Iray render settings, and it doesn't look like the preload scene changes anything.

Here's a sample (68% converged)

I13 Comfortable Living room mid afternoon, no sunrays 68%.jpg
    934 x 903 - 164K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on

I'm "glad" to see I m not the only one to have the problem ^^,

Can we hope an update of the set?

In another thread it was determined that in 4.9 they changed the metrics for distant lights in a way that requires you to boost the luminous flux value by 10000X. 

It could be a bug, and on the assumption that it is, you can make the change to your scene now so you can get it working, plus send in a support ticket. 

edited April 2016

@Tobor

You are a fountain of good information. I hadn't seen/noticed said thread. Looks like it was correct. Here are two renders (both converged enough to see the effect). Left one has scene's "distant light from window" value multiplied by 10000. Right one has distant light value multiplied by 1000. Support ticket submitted.

i13 Comfort 1% convergence 10000x distant.png
    934 x 903 - 2M
    i13 Comfort, 8% converge, distant light from window 1000x.png
    934 x 903 - 2M
    Post edited by fastbike1 on

Thanks! I am not yet using 4.9, because I'm in the middle of a project where I don't dare change anything, so until October I'm in 4.8-land. I'm not able to directly test.

From the looks of it, the change in distant lights comes from how the area of illumination is calculated. The 10000x is the difference between calculating the areas of cm^2 and m^2. Iray includes a scene unit multiplier, and it defaults (value of 1) to meter.