Parented Geographed Toon Head - Main Head Disappears Underneath

First, before you ask - Yes, the item is a freebie from ShareCG's Ghastly.  And YES, I have also sent him a message, but in case I don't hear back from him, I'm asking this here.

This is in regards to Ghastly's Geographed Toon Head found here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/79741/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Geographed-Toon-Head-Genesis-1#cmntL0

I have successfully parented the Toon head to my pre-existing Hiro 5 model in DAZ3D Studio 4.8 Pro.  No issues there.  I have used this in order to create 'wild take' faces on some of my comic pages by hand drawing them onto my character using the blank head. 

My problem is this:

My Hiro 5 model has elf ears.  I want to minimize the opacity of Ghastly's Neck & Head attributes only to 0% - and leave only the blank face... but I've hit a dilemma when doing so.  My head underneath has vanished without the ability to make it viewable while 'wearing' Ghastly's Geographed Toon Head (while it is parented to my Hiro5 model). 

I've checked the usual suspects: Opacity of the Hiro model's Head, Neck, Face --- all are set to 100%.  I've checked the Node in the Scene tab, expanding the view of the head, neck, etc. of the Hiro 5 model, but all of the Visuals are on (the 'eye' is open).  I've even pasted the parameters setting of the Hiro 5 model before parenting the Geographed Toon Head to the Hiro Model, and then copied the settings after parenting the blank head to see if I could revert the original settings in order to see the ears.

Nope.  I still see no head, ears, or anything resembling my original Hiro 5 model.

When I unparent, or parent the Geographed Toon Head to 'None' - then my Hiro 5 head visibility returns back to its original state.  No issues.

Does anybody have any idea how I can parent this Geographed Toon Head to my Hiro 5 Model, and turn back on certain attributes such as the head and the ears, but leave the face invisible in order to acheive my final affect of giving the Geographed Toon Head my original character's elf ears?

Thank you!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

A geograft completely replaces the polygons that are 'inside' the ring that makes up the connection point.  So, if the connection point for the toon head (I haven't looked at it to see) is somwhere on the neck, then it is going to totally replace the original head...not hide or make it invisible.   That's the power of geografting (geometry grafting) and its 'curse'.

• mjc1016 said:

A geograft completely replaces the polygons that are 'inside' the ring that makes up the connection point.  So, if the connection point for the toon head (I haven't looked at it to see) is somwhere on the neck, then it is going to totally replace the original head...not hide or make it invisible.   That's the power of geografting (geometry grafting) and its 'curse'.

@mjc1016,

THANK YOU!  I actually had no idea that was what 'geographed' stood for.  Yeah... that kind of sucks basically though...

However wink With some forum instructions and a clothing tutorial from SickleYield on YouTube - I actually was able to export the 'Geographed Toon Head' as an .obj file, then import it back into DAZ, add the 'Transfer Morph Utilities' to the Toon head in order to have it conform (with some tweaking here and there) to my Hiro 5 model - and then made the blank face with the ability to turn the opacity to 0% for only the head and neck - so the face was left with 100% opacity.  It actually worked.  It's not perfect -  I had to take my original Hiro 5 model and remove or minimize most of his facial features, but I'll just use this model with the Ghastly's Toon Head as an alternate in my comics when I need a wild take in a frame.

I appreciate you answering me so quickly.  Thank you again!  Now I know!  (and knowing is half the battle - GIJoe).