Migrating content: Mac to Windows

marblemarble Posts: 7,449
edited April 2016 in The Commons

In about a week I will collect a new PC. At the moment I use a Mac and my content is in my user folders under Documents/DAZ3D/ - I have one Library for DIM installations and another for legacy V4/M4 and Poser format content. In short, I don't let DIM install to the default shared (public) directories because I want my content under my user account.

A few months ago I created a similar install on an old PC - just for testing - by creating a mirror copy of my DAZ3D folders on an external drive then plugged the drive into my Windows PC and copied them back to my Windows user account. It seemed to work but I have used it very little since then. My concern is that some products need to be installed "properly". For example, when DIM installs it sometimes asks for permission to make changes. I have no idea what system files it changes but I'm guessing that a straight coopy will not carry over those changes.

I really don't want to use DIM to install 200GB of content (my ISP would probably block me) so I'd appreciate advice on the best way to migrate it while maintaining my library structure as I have it on the Mac. A second question is can the database be duplicated too?

Post edited by marble on

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited April 2016

I did new installs on mine, but then I keep the downloaded files and just pointed DIM at the downloads folder (which I keep on an external FAT-32 formatted USB3 drive, so it can be read by both Mac and PC).

Because I don't like the default content install location (SSD, limited space), I also set up the content folders in DIM first, to point to my big data drive. Worked like a charm :)

BTW, you can share a single downloads folder between machines - mine's mounted as a network drive - so you only have to download content once. Just be aware that you can only have one instance of DIM logged in the server at a time.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Thanks - I'll have to check how much of my content is still in the DIM downloads folder. I think the 4.9 install trashed those folders but I seem to remember saving them out somewhere. I'll have a look when I get back to my desktop.