Which should I buy

OK currently I have a 2.6ghz core duo machine with 6 gigs memory running a  2 gig Nvidea 750 ti card. Rendering animation that looks decent in Iray is paifully slow and has brought my project to its knees.

So here's my question.

Am i Better off (speed-wise) To continue to use my old machine and upgrade to a 4 gig card. or should i get a new machine and put my 2 gig card in it.

this is what i am thinking about.

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Ultra Desktop - AMD FX-Series - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black/Blue

• Model: GUA1000BST
  • SKU: 4593000
  • Windows 10
  • Technical details: AMD FX-Series processor; 8GB memory; 1TB hard drive
  • Special features: 3D-ready; 2GB dedicated graphics; HDMI output

Comments

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

If your Board allows updating the ram i would update GPU (970s have a good price speed relation) and Ram

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136

I suggest getting a new machine for now, and upgrading the Video Card and RAM later (I'm doing the same thing, just got a quad core machine, still using a GT 520 card and 8 gigs).

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited April 2016

I suggest getting a new machine for now, and upgrading the Video Card and RAM later (I'm doing the same thing, just got a quad core machine, still using a GT 520 card and 8 gigs).

I second this. If RAM and twice as big SSD weren't inexpensive compared to a new computer I'd definately do that before spending that sort of money to upgrade a computer like yours.

I'd see if I were you if I couldn't buy a computer with the CPU a Quad-Core i7 Intel SkyLake (6th Gen) though. For that price your should be able too easily.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910
    edited April 2016

Old PC's score enough good for most tasks...  But cheaper mainboards are usally limited with RAM (max 8GB).. and that's the only real problem...( the reason why you need a new one sooner or later)

Buy first cheap secondhand RAM if you can find and stack your board to max RAM  (I just did the same for a core duo - i could buy 1333 2GB modules for 6 usd each)

Then add a reasonable GPU card - 710 - 750ti is a bad choice for iray (very slow CUDA's - they are there but low powered -> the 750 is builded to run with low electric power - and so do the cudas!)...

get a 960 or better - and check your powersupply (you might be with 230 - 300 Watt on old mainboards...  but this can be enough for a 960 because CPU and Mainboards with duo core use just the half power then the new multithreaded CPU's with PCI 3.0 boards.... (check the spec of CPU and Mainboards... i think maybe 110 Watt....plus 140 watt for a 960...   

Later you can add a SSD and other components which you will also use in your next PC...    but you will see the biggest gain for IRAY investing 200usd in a 960 (or 970)..

Post edited by AndyGrimm on
  • AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910
    edited April 2016

i know this stuff because coming from using only labtops - while i started to buy components for my dream build (x99) .. i just could not wait and only stare on a brandnew 1250 watt powersupply and 32GB DDR4 ram (that''s all what i have right now :-)...

So it will take me some months to get x99 mainboard, CPU and case and 980ti's......  meanwhile i decided to buy a really cheap second hand PC with a PCI 2.0 16 slot...  and a 960 so that i have something to do with iray while saving my money for the dreambuild...

the 960 (just ordered) will drive my monitors later.. and right now goes in a Duo core with 8GB Ram... (card, old ram and duo core PC did cost me about 300usd)...

Post edited by AndyGrimm on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Wait for Pascal.

You could upgrade you PC, and leave it without a graphics card, but no point; see what Pascal has to offer, then make a decission.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

I've had a few problems with my computer, but trying hard to get it to last another 6+ months to see what Pascal offers.

(I'm rather p**sed that I spent $300 doing stuff to replace my HD, only to utterly fail to figure out how to do it effectively. So now I'm just hoping HD doesn't fail before then)