Setting DS up for dual monitors?

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've just plugged my 22" monitor into my laptop, and as I've never done this before, I have no idea what to do. LOL

I want to use the bigger monitor for when I use DS and Photoshop, but what I'd ideally like to do is have PART of DS on one monitor and part of it on hte other.

As in, the side panels - content, parameters etc - on hte smaller laptop, and the actual preview on the larger monitor.

How do I do this? Can I set it up so the bigger monitor is ONLY used when opening up DS? I don' want my desktop on both screens.

Did this make any sense?

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Just drag the tabs till they appear on the second screen. You must dislodge them so they are independant. Just pull the tab on the name and drag::) My content Library is on the second screen so I have a lot more space to work with.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited April 2013

I don't quite get what you are saying. :D

This is what my DS looks like now - i want to have the preview pane appear on the larger monitor and both the sides...the parameter, shaping, render settings etc tabs, and the scene, content library and smart content tabs - appear on the smaller monitor (the laptop).

Can you "drag" the preview pane to the bigger monitor? I don't quite get how to do that.

dstest.jpg
    800 x 451 - 129K
    Post edited by jakiblue on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Multi-monitor support is one thing that Studio could really do better at. To get the preview pane on the big monitor, you need to move Studio itself to the big monitor. Then undock the left and right tab sets and move them back to the small monitor.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

yes, that works. LOL. Thank you!

Is it possible to save that so it'll open like that all the time? Would save as a layout do it, or do I have to do that each time I open up DS?

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

Is it possible to save that so it'll open like that all the time? Would save as a layout do it, or do I have to do that each time I open up DS?

I have mine set up on dual monitors, but I use a desktop pc where both monitors are always hooked up. So, when I start DS (or anything else, for that matter) it opens the same as when I closed it. On a laptop, where you won't always be in a dual monitor setup, that may not work the same.

One thought, though, is if you hook up the big monitor before you open DS, it might remember your previous setup. The only way to know is to try it out. Good luck.

• bshugs@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 176
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

This has probably already been answered, but JIC:
    Once you're set up, with your Daz Studio window and Panes(Tabs) where you want them goto Main Menu > View > Interface Layout > Save Layout

For more info see http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazstudio/reference/savelayout
  • thank you so much I was actually trying to figure this out change me workflow so much

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I tried but my two displays have different resolutions. My second display can only go to 1080 x 1920 while my main dispaly is 2560 x 1440. I could reduce the resolution on my main display but then it looks awful.

The problem with the two resolutions is that the panes don't resize accordingly so when I drag a pane over to the second screen, the bottom of the pane is hidden beneath the Windows taskbar.

• The only problem I've seen with multi-monitors is with scaling.  When I've tried to run a standard 1080 with a 1440 or 4k monitor, Windows wants to use a different scaling ratio for the higher resolution in order to make the text large enough to read.  This always causes floating windows to behave erratically as Daz Studio struggles to correctly calculate for the scaling.

If I keep the Scaling the same, I don't have that issue.

• How about your cursor getting got in the corners of the larger screen?wink

• once you've moved them to where you want .. save that as your default program layout. 
    this is a 43 in the middle, a 32 for the content and a 27or such for the tools. 

3 monitors.jpg
    8320 x 2160 - 1M

alan bard newcomer said:

once you've moved them to where you want .. save that as your default program layout. 

Are all three the same display resolution? 

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited December 2021

marble said:

alan bard newcomer said:

once you've moved them to where you want .. save that as your default program layout. 

I wish ... the center is 4k the one with the content is 2k and the other is 1980 
    yeah, the panels resize but I hardly ever move them. Occasinally I have to bring one of the tool palettes over because it's too long for the small window. 

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
    edited December 2021

alan bard newcomer said:

marble said:

alan bard newcomer said:

I wish ... the center is 4k the one with the content is 2k and the other is 1980 
    yeah, the panels resize but I hardly ever move them. Occasinally I have to bring one of the tool palettes over because it's too long for the small window. 

The reason I asked is because I have a 25 inch  2560x1440 as my main screen and a 21 inch second screen at 1920x1080 and when I drag panels across to the smaller screen they don't resize for that resolution. So the bottom of the pane gets lodged behind my Windows taskbar and I cant move it up.

EDIT: Oh nvm, I just figured out how to resize the pane to fit on the smaller screen.

Post edited by marble on
    edited December 2021

marble said:

alan bard newcomer said:

marble said:

alan bard newcomer said:

The reason I asked is because I have a 25 inch  2560x1440 as my main screen and a 21 inch second screen at 1920x1080 and when I drag panels across to the smaller screen they don't resize for that resolution. So the bottom of the pane gets lodged behind my Windows taskbar and I cant move it up.

EDIT: Oh nvm, I just figured out how to resize the pane to fit on the smaller screen.

having been a long time mac user ... although I have been PC since 2005.. my taskbar resides at the top. And while occasionally a window will stick up there (not in daz) I can get it to go down by just clicking on it's side edge.  
    I think the task bar options let you have in only on the main if you want... don't have to have on all monitors

• Interesting... I just discovered that resizing /moving the windows (on a second monitor is strange in 415) if you grab to move it .. it shrinks to about 25% of the monitor and placement becomes problamatic
    this does not happen in 412... if you have an older one ... set up your windows .. size etc in that and then save as your default layout and maybe even as start scene. 
    ---
    Only noticed because for the first time in a long time had to move the content window around on its monitor.. 

• What i can't believe is its taken me over 18 months to realize the benefits of having a second monitor... there will be no going back.

And i just bought a new monitor to free up the TV which has once again been demoted to a computer monitor (and my second one at that).

Please don't anybody start a triple monitor thread!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,487
    edited December 2021

SolitarySandpiper said:

Since you asked, this is what you can do with 3 monitors wink

DS 3mon.jpg
    5760 x 1200 - 421K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,849
    edited December 2021

I used to have 3 monitors, it's pretty cool but honestly not that efficient as it takes resources away that could be better utilised even if you don't run them off your graphics card, if nothing else drawing more power and warming the room.

Two are sufficient 

I used my third one for browsing and other activities, honestly a tablet handy is better for that, D|S spread out on three can get confusing 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • hjakehjake Posts: 812

marble said:

I tried but my two displays have different resolutions. My second display can only go to 1080 x 1920 while my main dispaly is 2560 x 1440. I could reduce the resolution on my main display but then it looks awful.

The problem with the two resolutions is that the panes don't resize accordingly so when I drag a pane over to the second screen, the bottom of the pane is hidden beneath the Windows taskbar.

Agreed. I created a custom DAZ Studio window so it would span both monitor but I did have to lower the resolution on one to match the other. Even without doing this, and using different windows on different monitors Daz Studio caused me some windows size issues and "stuck" windows or windows disappearing off screen. I am using 3840x2160 and 2560x1440. At some point I will replace the 1440p with a 2160p.

I thought about buying an ultrawide but they can have issues with older software or apps/games not written to take advantage of the wide resolution. Limiting sizing through Nvidia software did not seem to help. Only solution was make lower resolution monitor default or force a low resoltion on the ultrawide. Both are very unsatisfying solutions.

edited December 2021

hjake said:

Agreed. I created a custom DAZ Studio window so it would span both monitor but I did have to lower the resolution on one to match the other. Even without doing this, and using different windows on different monitors Daz Studio caused me some windows size issues and "stuck" windows or windows disappearing off screen. I am using 3840x2160 and 2560x1440. At some point I will replace the 1440p with a 2160p.

If you check the picture... the center monitor has the viewport and the scene list. 
    The content window is not attached to the viewport .. it is separate window and only on the left side monitor
    the right side monitor has parameters, shaping, surface, render, power pose, align, and tool settings grouped together as one multitab window. 
    I've used three monitors with daz since I started ... and at one point had a fourth one in the mix. 
    ---
    In the 90s when I was doing book design (before windows did multimonitor support) so I had macs
    I used a 15 inch color for main and two page wide grayscale and a single page vertical grayscale.  
    ---
    Just a couple months ago I was broke when I walked into a local store and they had a couple of 40 inch plus 4k tvs that were monitor compatable on sale for $199. 

3 monitors.jpg
    8320 x 2160 - 1M

alan bard newcomer said:

hjake said:

If you check the picture... the center monitor has the viewport and the scene list. 
    The content window is not attached to the viewport .. it is separate window and only on the left side monitor
    the right side monitor has parameters, shaping, surface, render, power pose, align, and tool settings grouped together as one multitab window. 
    I've used three monitors with daz since I started ... and at one point had a fourth one in the mix. 
    ---
    In the 90s when I was doing book design (before windows did multimonitor support) so I had macs
    I used a 15 inch color for main and two page wide grayscale and a single page vertical grayscale.  
    ---
    Just a couple months ago I was broke when I walked into a local store and they had a couple of 40 inch plus 4k tvs that were monitor compatable on sale for $199. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I used to have triple 27" monitors in the past but current space requirements don't permit more than 2 monittors. Are you using 3 monitors at the same resolution? Because that seems to be the telling factor. On multi-monitor layout I had content/smart and scene tabs beside viewport on monitor one and all the other tabs (based on task) on monitor 2.

edited December 2021

hjake said:

ust a couple months ago I was broke when I walked into a local store and they had a couple of 40 inch plus 4k tvs that were monitor compatable on sale for $199. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I used to have triple 27" monitors in the past but current space requirements don't permit more than 2 monittors. Are you using 3 monitors at the same resolution? Because that seems to be the telling factor. On multi-monitor layout I had content/smart and scene tabs beside viewport on monitor one and all the other tabs (based on task) on monitor 2.

the middle is 4k the content one is 2k on the X-  and the misc pane collection is on a 1920  on the X+ side

IMG_1653.JPG
    3264 x 1832 - 2M

alan bard newcomer said:

hjake said:

ust a couple months ago I was broke when I walked into a local store and they had a couple of 40 inch plus 4k tvs that were monitor compatable on sale for $199. 

the middle is 4k the content one is 2k on the X-  and the misc pane collection is on a 1920  on the X+ side

This weekend I will take another look at multi-monitor DS. I see your computer is being held hostage by a masked bandit.  Good luck and God Save the Mice!  :-)

• SolitarySandpiper said:

What i can't believe is its taken me over 18 months to realize the benefits of having a second monitor... there will be no going back.

And i just bought a new monitor to free up the TV which has once again been demoted to a computer monitor (and my second one at that).

Ok, I won't start a triple monitor thread even though I have 3 plus my XP-pen 22 Pro LOL. I spent a good 10 YEARS using a single 27 inch 1080p. Now that I have 3 curved 27s I will never go back. 

• alan bard newcomer said:

Good lord, off topic question...

Don't you get neck pain? I have a 32 and a 28 and had to stop using that setup because I was having issues with my neck from panning from one monitor to the other. Maybe my setup wasn't right, I'm probably 2-2.5 ft away from them but one in front the other kind of sideways as it didn't fit properly on my desk. What's your setup/distance?

Cheers

edited December 2021

N00b4Ever said:

alan bard newcomer said:

Don't you get neck pain? I have a 32 and a 28 and had to stop using that setup because I was having issues with my neck from panning from one monitor to the other. Maybe my setup wasn't right, I'm probably 2-2.5 ft away from them but one in front the other kind of sideways as it didn't fit properly on my desk. What's your setup/distance?

Cheers

Pan my neck...  naw, years of holding the phone between my jaw and shoulder took away that skill. 
    The extras shoot out at 45 degree angles and basically most of the movement is my butt swinging the desk chair. Simple basic no arms etc.  
    The  computer is actually sidewise behind the monitor the one in the picture is for the next computer down the desk that way. 

IMG_1661.JPG
    3264 x 1832 - 3M
  • Ah ha!  That last photo has a cat in it.  Good work!yes

edited December 2021

N00b4Ever said:

alan bard newcomer said:

Cheers

Still off topic ...

1. You should keep the diagonal size of the monitor as the minimum distance of your head from the monitor. If you feel the text is too small at that distance then increase the text scaling in Windows setup under display.

2. The top of the screen should not be higher than the height of your eyes.

I realize these might seem like super obvious points for some people but I have been in many offices where staff do not know, or follow, these guidelines. They will sit working non-stop for over an hour then complain of neck and eye strain.

3. Make sure you have something near your line sight for the monitors that is more than 2 times the distance of your monitor and take atleast a 2 minute break every 20-30 mins to look in that direction. Also close your eyes for another 30 or more seconds to help them moisturize.

As for head turning, that suggests you may be too close to your screens. Also the center screen should be the area of primary focus for your work. The side, or secondary screen should be for information settings that you need to see at a glance but do not have to change frequently.

I use a digital timer on my mobile phone to assist me in doing this. The hardest part is remembering to turn it on when I sit down to work. :-)

Post edited by hjake on
  • not turning your head for hours is more likely to give you neckache though