What happened to Daz studio 4.15.0.2 last week?

If I load a scene that has a G8F character whose joints were posed beyond the limits -- that is, the limits were disabled via the edit mode of the parameters -- they are now moved to obey the preset limits and are completely wrong. Disabling the limits again does not reposition the joints to where they were. This is a major pain. It angers me greatly. I have literally hundreds of scenes with characters whose joints are beyond the limits. Will I have to reposition all of them now? Just what the heck happened in the last week to Daz Studio? It was fine on Thursday 1 July 2021 and then on 5 July 2021 when I next opened studio and loaded a scene, it was clearly broken. I did nothing that I can think of that would have caused this. What is going on!?

Comments

• There has been no update in the last week (or even month) so nothing happened to DS as such. Have you checked your option for resepcting limits in Edit>Preferences>Content (Daz Studio>Preferences>Content on a Mac)?

• lamoid_5f20d3e469lamoid_5f20d3e469 Posts: 283
    edited July 2021

I will check that, Richard. Thank you. I now realize that the problem started when I installed the GuYu character for G8.1F. Is it possible that installing then using a character could change settings for the Studio program itself so that it affects other characters in other scenes?

Post edited by lamoid_5f20d3e469 on
  • I checked the setting "When importing a Pose/Shaping file that exceeds limits:"  It is set to "Always turn limits off" Is that the setting to which you refer?

• Yes, that would be the most permissive value. In that case I don't know why it would suddenly start to fail.

• I've put in a support ticket. But unfortunately, it takes them very long to respond. Is it possible that installing then using a character could change settings for the Studio program itself persistently? That is, the changes remain after closing DS so that when restarting it those changes affect other characters in other scenes? That is the only explanation I can think of for my problem.

• lamoid_5f20d3e469 said:

I've put in a support ticket. But unfortunately, it takes them very long to respond. Is it possible that installing then using a character could change settings for the Studio program itself persistently? That is, the changes remain after closing DS so that when restarting it those changes affect other characters in other scenes? That is the only explanation I can think of for my problem.

I can't think of a way a scene file or preset could do that.

• Regarding this behavior that I reported above:

Any scene that I saved prior to my purchase and installation via content manager of the Gu Yu G8.1F figure and the (aparently) required reinstallation of the G8 Starter essentials that (1) contains a G8F figure with some joint limits switched off (via the edit mode), (2) with those joints posed beyond the predefined nominal limits, and (3) with those same joints locked, is being reset upon loading the scene into DS 4.15.0.2. or DS public beta 4.15.0.14. That is, the locked joints are now unlocked and the limits are reimposed. This is messing up literally hundreds of my scenes! In DS's preferences under/in the content tab, I have the setting labeled "When importing a Pose/Shaping file that exceeds limits:" to "Always turn limits off."

Subsequently, I have found something that might be a clue:

For any previously locked, limit exceeding joint that was forced by DS upon reload to be unlocked and to conform to the limits, the "raw " field in its parameter settings box displays the correct value -- the value I had set it to. If I turn off (uncheck) the limits in the parameters settings box, the raw field is set to the limited value. If I copy the value from the raw box, before unchecking the limits switch, then I can paste the value into the "current value" field and the joint moves to the saved position. Through this process I can restore the correct value without long, tedious repositioning.  But is is still a pita and wastes my time. Somehow this must be fixed.

Any ideas about what is happening here?

• Anybody?  This problem has destroyed most of my scenes. I've been waiting nearly 3 weeks for a reply to my help ticket. How long does it usually take for the help crew to respond?  (I did get the automated response immediately after submitting the ticket.)

What I said in my previous post about the raw field works sometimes, but usually it does not. In most cases the raw field does not show the original limit-exceeding value that I had applied to the joint,

I've tried looking at the scene files in a text editor. But none of the numbers in the character's joint fields make sense. Apparently the actual values are computed when the scene is loaded. And that may be where the problem is occuring.  The bottom line is that DS now resets any joint that is beyond the limits to its closest limit, my numbers be damned. This is devastating to my work.

• how did you install Gu Yu and the starter essentials ? did you install them from inside daz studio using connect or did you use DIM ?

if you used connect uninstall them inside daz studio and install them via DIM, people have had clashes with content installed via seperate methods in other threads.

if you used DIM I'm really not sure what could cause it to reset your saved scenes, but maybe as a stop gap measure try a new scene load in just g8f, modify all the joints to not use limits and then save as>support asset>save modified assets.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

lamoid_5f20d3e469 said:

I will check that, Richard. Thank you. I now realize that the problem started when I installed the GuYu character for G8.1F. Is it possible that installing then using a character could change settings for the Studio program itself so that it affects other characters in other scenes?

Did you have DS open when you installed the pack?

• skinklizzard said:

how did you install Gu Yu and the starter essentials ? did you install them from inside daz studio using connect or did you use DIM ?

if you used connect uninstall them inside daz studio and install them via DIM, people have had clashes with content installed via seperate methods in other threads.

if you used DIM I'm really not sure what could cause it to reset your saved scenes, but maybe as a stop gap measure try a new scene load in just g8f, modify all the joints to not use limits and then save as>support asset>save modified assets.

THank you for your response, SkinLizard. I installed both packages using the Daz install manager. I always use it. I never install from within studio.

• frank0314 said:

lamoid_5f20d3e469 said:

Did you have DS open when you installed the pack?

Thank you, Frank, for your response. Honestly, I do not recall. Usually I terminate studio before using the DIM installation manager. But it is possible that that time I did not.