Remember the good old days....

Patrick TynerPatrick Tyner Posts: 640
edited July 2021 in The Commons
Do you remember the good old days when you could buy the Pro-Bundles and they came with between 10-12 things and cost the same as The Zale 8.1 Deep Sea King Bundle (which has 7 items) and then if you bought add-ons it lowered the price even more....man I miss those days.
Post edited by Patrick Tyner on

Comments

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

And when you bought them you got two or three pro bundles for older generations added in for free. Great days.

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

And mostly working assets too.

• Yes, I am not the only one!
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,115
    It's not too bad nowadays, because more money stays in my wallet. :P
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

Pepperidge Farms remembers. wink

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Patrick Tyner said:

Do you remember the good old days when you could buy the Pro-Bundles and they came with between 10-12 things and cost the same as The Zale 8.1 Deep Sea King Bundle (which has 7 items) and then if you bought add-ons it lowered the price even more....man I miss those days.

yes 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,988
    edited July 2021

Redfern said:

Pepperidge Farms remembers. wink

yehap  ..~

Post edited by ed3D on
  • glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

Well........ it made me buy quite some items on impulse....

Nowadays, I do take my time before to decide (not) to buy. I guess if this was done waaay back then, I would now have much less content that I hardly (and sometimes never) use, but also over all have spent less.,

So, no, for me not really the good old days (though no regrets.....)

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,905

The change in the new structure of bundles made me really think if I would need everything in the bundle and mostly every time I've said no since it's all so niche which isn't the niche I do. Before there was a lot in a bundle and I kitbashed so much, and the add on deals were so good that I bought nearly every bundle. And this has bled into regular spending here as well, I've become way more hesitant to buy something on a whim just in case, now I really question every purchase and have not spent nearly as much. 

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

I loved Pro Bundles. 

I've got a few 8.1 bundles on my wishlist. But it's going to be sometime before I will be able to buy them.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,698

Nowadays I just buy the Core Figure, HD Add-On, and the hair OR outfit that is well-made enough to justify a purchase (rarely are there both), and it costs about the same or less than before. I already have all the free Pro Bundles & Daz Originals I didn't really want. Whatever metamorphosis happened prior to last November....

• I've mainly gone from buying them when they come out to buying them later on special sales.  I find I can get as good a deal on the bundle withut having to jump through all the hoops and load extra stuff into my cart to get the best price.  Picked up a bunch of ones I missed on last weekend's sale.  I still tend to end up with as many of them either way.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,741

Yeah, I used to buy all the bundles on release because of the great deals. Now I wait a few months or as long as it takes to get the bundles at 80% off or more. I recently got caught up with newer 8.1 bundles and if I divided all the items equally, including the core character, it came out to about $2-$3 for each item. I own almost all the 8.1 bundles now but still didn’t get an orange banner. Maybe they reward only people who buy bundles at release time?

I would have purchased both Zale bundles if I had an orange banner but I guess Daz will have to wait for my money... And now a new Season Pass! Ugh. They raise all the prices and lower incentives for everyone else during the Season Pass time. And the Season Pass people get ripped off because a few months later, the prices go way down. By waiting a few months, I got entire 8.1 bundles for less than the core character alone at intro price! Jacqueline 8.1 alone was $22 at release, I got the whole bundle for $19!  I think they are really marketing to newbies who don’t know better. 

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited July 2021

Oh - I thought it was just me - and I thought it was because I've been here since 2010 and had everything already. I mean I could fill the Great Pyramid with all the egyptian stuff. And all those space suits and vehicles and sofas and fruit bowls and slutty woman's clothes and and and....
    About the only thing I miss these days is an upgraded cat.

Post edited by Hera on
    edited July 2021

If you click on my name, it says I joined in 1969 lol! I wonder if one of the programmers took the brown acid at Woodstock! laugh

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the days i could buy both daz and poser content and it would work in carrara with a little shader tweaking.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I like the smaller bundles are they make it easier for me to buy the 2 or 3 items I want in them and not the entire bundle. Having 7 items in a bundle compared to the used to be 11 items makes it a much easier choice. It seem like it makes it easier for DAZ to produce bundles to with almost 1/2 the work of prior bundles.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586

Hera said:

Oh - I thought it was just me - and I thought it was because I've been here since 2010 and had everything already. I mean I could fill the Great Pyramid with all the egyptian stuff. And all those space suits and vehicles and sofas and fruit bowls and slutty woman's clothes and and and....

...+1 to that last statement.  

...and I want an option for LAMH rather than dForce.fur.

edited July 2021

...I rarely purchased character bundles unless I liked most of what was in them.  Very rare though due to the emphasis on sexy, medieval fantasy, and horror here. In all the years here I've only purchased something like 6 Pro bundles: V4.2, K4, Young Teens5 (Genesis), Kieko 6 for (1.99$ during a PC+ For a Day sale), Edie 8, and Mr. Woo 8. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Hera said:

I have been here since somewhere around 2001....and have seen a lot of changes...the loss of the Pro Packs and all the goodies has almost driven me from Daz.

@ Hera,... yes, Cat 8. We've been dealing with the old Mil Cat for 16 years. Time for a new generation.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

You know, I expect prices to go up, but most companies don't offer less when they jack up the prices. Today's buy-ins seem crazy steep to me. 

• The pro bundles were the things that made me addicted to daz. The new bundles however are the ones that make me hesitate instead of buying. It's just that a similar value is offered at a so much steeper price. That's also why my switch to gen 8.1 took so long ... I waited for a sale for gen 8.1 core figures instead of buying them on release.

I used to buy all the bundles on release day because of the great deals. Now I just wait till they are in deep discount, free, or cherry pick what I really want when individual items are on sale. I guess that’s why they have to rely on newbies and con them into things like the Season Pass.

edited July 2021

certaintree38 said:

You know, I expect prices to go up, but most companies don't offer less when they jack up the prices. Today's buy-ins seem crazy steep to me. 

...yeah I hear you on that. 

Not long ago it used to be buy one Debut or Still New Release to unlock a deeper discount or special pricing.  Now often times it's either two debut items or a bundle.   Just purchasing two items that average about 12$ each to unlock an extra 10%, means you need about 250$ worth of other items in the cart to barely break even.  For those sales requiring the Zale Mega or Landlubber bundle to unlock the extra 10%, you need to have a fairly loaded cart to offset the cost. 

At least during the twice yearly PC+ sales, PC+ items also unlock extra discounts or special deals.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited July 2021

certaintree38 said:

Actually that's not entirely accurate... There is a term coined a while back by consumer advocates and now even used by corporations, marketing and financial institutions that pertains to this... "Shrinkflation"

As you mentioned, it used to refer to the practice of the price increasing while the product amount remains the same, but in recent years many consumer products especially food have actually seen the price go up while the amount discretely decreased... One of the most common ways to slip this by is to keep the packaging the same size while giving slightly less over a period of time, or changing the package shape...

Ice cream is a good example... In general it used to be sold in half gallon (64 ounce) containers, Unilever (a downsizing pioneer) was one of the first companies to reduce the amount to 56 ounces... the newer (at the time) type of packaging made the shrink less obvious because of its shape and since the price remained mostly the same nobody really noticed. Most manufacturers followed the lead and then prices nudged up... then the containers dropped in size again to the now standard 48 ounces (1.5 quarts), prices remained a bit and then nudged up.

At this point it's more common to shrink to amount (or reduce quality) while increasing the price than to shrink the amount with a stable price... although it's usually done In separate moves...

Another neat trick is to mess with "perceived value"... you take a product with two tiers "regular" and "premium" and introduce a third, "economy"... then after a short period of time you gradually phase out the "regular" quality leaving only economy and premium, then add another tier with a gimmick, "luxury" which is basically a rebrand of premium with higher price, then you phase out economy, reintroduce it as regular and charge more, phase out premium and keep luxury, so now you've confused consumers while being able to charge more while giving less... this technique has been pioneered by toilet paper and paper towel companies... along with inconsistent packaging amounts and bizarre claims ("5 Rolls = 10 Rolls!!"... WTF does that even mean? Are you just bad at math?)

If you want a real cringy look into the mindset of how consumers are looked at, here's a "Consumer Behavior Glossary", presumably for individuals studying marketing... (or perhaps trying to summon demons using appropriate terminology?)...

https://college.cengage.com/business/hoyer/consumer/4e/assets/students/glossary/glossary_all.html

Still not as bad as some of the investment or financial glossaries, but still... the terms are actually a little bit old, but there are some real interesting ones in there like "hedonic innovation", "frequency heuristics" and "psychographics"... some of the newer terminology being used now is actually weirder and a bit more dystopian sounding, but not listed there.

Post edited by McGyver on

...and it's been getting worse. 

Instead of a 16 oz pint of milk it's now 14 oz and in some cases only 12 oz (quarts and half gallons are still 32 oz and 64 0z respectively). What used to be a 3# can of ground coffee is now 2.5# while bags of whole bean coffee are usually 12 oz instead of 1#. and fruit juices are now 56 oz or even 53 oz instead of 64 oz. 

Go to most pubs here in the States and a "pint" of beer is actually between 12.5 to 14 oz. depending on the thickness of the sides and bottom of the glass.  The glass itself may displace a pint of water volume but not hold the same (a good test is get a "tall boy" [16 oz can] and a pint glass, after you fill the glass to the rim [letting the head subside and slowly pouring more in] you will usually have a couple ounces left in the can).  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i miss the days skirts and fancy sleeves had posing bones, could use it in many softwares.

theres no tool to convert dforce to carrara soft body.  and in some cases, theres not even geometry.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,598

@McGyver I circumvent the TP craziness by calculating total square footage in the package and using that for price comparison.

..yeah I do the same.