Second Installation for clean library rebuild?

When I started Daz Studio 2 years ago I installed every free item I could find, today am wiser but have the library all spammed up, loading a G8 takes 3 minutes. 

So I'd like to install on a 2nd SSD and all the "good" 3rd party but in the meantime not lose the original installation in case something does not work out, won't load old scenes I'd like to reuse etc.

So - can I just launch a new installer through DIM and point it at the new disk? 

Is there an easier way to tackle this perhaps?

Comments

• Slow loading can be down to the sheer number of inter-linked properties, not necessarily that some of them are poor quality. Still, yes you can - you'd want to chnage the installation and manifest locations in DIM's advanced settings (where th content goes and where the record of installed content is kept), the ContentCluster location in DIM or Daz Studio (the database for the Content Managment System), and the content directories in DS (in Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager).

• Not what I meant: I want to install a complete new Daz Studio on a different harddisk and reinstall the Content while keeping the old installation in case I need to figure some packages that are still in the old content libs, and run the original installation, too.

Possible?

• But why reinstall the application? The only thing that would be different would be plug-ins, content installation is separate from the applciation and if you had two versions of the same release channel they would share settings. If you want a clean UI you could just start a separate instance and not have i copy the main instance's settings: Daz Studio Pro 4.12 - instances

• What?

I have Daz Studio in C, with a borked 3rd party Content lib. 

I want to re-install a fresh copy of Daz Studio on D: and rebuild the Content lib while keeping the C installation until I got everything back in shape on D.

Is that possible or not?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,584

There's very little to win by moving DS out of C-drive, the program takes only about 1 gigabyte of storage space and if the idea was to save oneself from reinstallation of DS after possible Windows reinstallation, that usually doesn't work as the registry contains a lot of necessary settings which would still require reinstallation of DS.

The content library, especially one with manually installed 3rd party products, is just as related to DS as any library folder of images downloaded from the net is related to whatever graphic programs one uses to edit and/or view them.

If you want to create a new content library on another drive, there is nothing to prevent you from doing so, once you have created one, just tell DS the path where to find it and that's it - While adding the new content library to DS, you can also remove the old borked content library from the list of content libraries, so DS doesn't see it, even when it's still in it's old location.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,354
    edited January 2022

pixelquack said:

What?

I have Daz Studio in C, with a borked 3rd party Content lib. 

I want to re-install a fresh copy of Daz Studio on D: and rebuild the Content lib while keeping the C installation until I got everything back in shape on D.

Is that possible or not?

reinstalling Daz Studio, in place or on a new drive, will do nothing to a problematic content instalaltion. You are looking in the wrong place to fix the issue. You need to explain what is wrong with the content and perhaps we can figure out how to fix it.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Good explanation PerttiA, thank you.

Richard: it's lots of "missing this" / "cannot find that" in the log, and since all 3rd party is "copy from zip into the folders" it's not - or not easily possible to untangle/uninstall. Then there's soem content I'd be willign to let sail or keep in yet another lib I'll rebuild a clean set anyway. How PerttiA explained it I will keep Daz, "disable" the old lib and raise a new one. Not quite the idea because I wanted to keep the old one functional until a new installation took over, but ok.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,584

Wrote these instructions for manual installation a while back

InstallContent.JPG
    793 x 1120 - 226K