Can we talk about PD Howler 2023? available here now [Commercial]

staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
edited March 2023 in The Commons

One thing I always find difficult is where to find a main discussion thread on DOgwaffle's PD Howler and PD Artist. Is there one already I keep missing? One that is easy to find because it contains "PD Howler 2023" in the title?

We have now PD Howler 2023 (build 100) on here:

https://www.daz3d.com/pd-howler-2023--the-objoy-release

If you're new to Howler there's a class coming soon to Digital Arts Live by Paul Bussey. 

This release has the starting point of OBJ loading. It already had some earlier in a very limited way. This is much better, and of course more is being developed. But you can at least already load may 3D models in OBJ format and render to a brush image and keep adding to build an animbrush

New tutorials coming frequently to https://www.youtube.com/pdhowler

-Philip

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• AFAIK yes we can talk about PD Howler, but I think one is supposed to have "[Commercial]" in the title.

I've wishlisted the product for now. Doesn't seem to be a good time for making CC purchases.

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236

How to export from Hexagon as Wavefront OBJ and import to Howler.

• Can one export out brushes from Dogwaffle to .abr or other file types for use as brushes in other programs?

• mdingmding Posts: 1,138

And how about converting a render into a painting? I think that would interest quite a few here in the forum (comics). 

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

Do you know what the system requirements for Howler are? I bought Howler 2023 but not through Daz and I got Howler 2023 standard and legacy versions and a pre-release of 2024. I have 2 computers One is fairly old with a 6 core i7, 12 GB of RAM and a GTX1050 Ti graphics card, the other is newer with a dual core Celeron, 8 GB of RAM and Intel intgrated graphics. They both run the legacy version but neither one will run the standard version of 2023 or the 2024 pre-release. I don't get any error message, they just don't start. I;ve tried running them as administrator that that doesn't work either.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990
    edited March 2023

If you are looking for the class, here's the link: https://digitalartlive.com/event/new-pd-howler-2023-powerful-for-painting-animating-particles-and-3d/

It's on Sunday, March 25th (Time: 19:00 GMT, 3pm PDT noon EDT). Base entry is free, premium tickets with extra perks are available.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • something in the blurb about painting textures on items ( I think ) but does it export them back as UV?

@https://www.daz3d.com/forums/profile/416/Peter Wade: Which Windows version do you use? I bought 2023 from DAZ and didn't have any problem starting it. I use Win 10 64bit and also have an older computer: 16gb ram, old i7 cpu. 

mding said:

@https://www.daz3d.com/forums/profile/416/Peter Wade: Which Windows version do you use? I bought 2023 from DAZ and didn't have any problem starting it. I use Win 10 64bit and also have an older computer: 16gb ram, old i7 cpu. 

.Both computers are 64 bit, My older computer is running Windows 10 Pro and the newer one is Windows 11 Pro. The older one is stuck on Windows 10 because the CPU is not supported in Windows 11. Maybe the newer verions of Howler need some new CPU feature that it hasn't got. The newer one is more puzzling. I wonder if the newer versions don't work with integrated graphics.

It isn't a problem for me. The legacy version works fine and I think it has all the funcionality of the standard version. And puppy ray works on both. That surprised me, I didn't think Intel integrated graphics was a GPU but Howler says it is.

Peter Wade said:

The older one is stuck on Windows 10 because the CPU is not supported in Windows 11. 

Same here, so this can't be the reason. 

Follow up to my question about requirements. I just got an update to the 2024 pre-release. When you launch this it says it may require the AVX instructions. I found a program called HWINFO and this says that neither of my computers has a CPU that supports AVX so that is probaly the reason.

Peter Wade said:

Follow up to my question about requirements. I just got an update to the 2024 pre-release. When you launch this it says it may require the AVX instructions. I found a program called HWINFO and this says that neither of my computers has a CPU that supports AVX so that is probaly the reason.

Could be, as mine ( must be like 7 years old) supports AVX2. Sorry to hear that.

Course is starting now! Last chance to register. :-)

•  That is something that is being worked on in the newest updates. Legacy is the most stable currently for Win10. But, as updates come, the programmer is working to try to bridge the issue.

Peter Wade said:

edited April 2023

In case anyone's interested to dive deeper into this amazing program, there's a 4 weeks class (6 weeks for VIP) where you can learn all about the program and how to use it:

https://digitalartlive.com/plans/pd-howler-deep-dive-course/

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

One more week of the incredible PD Howler Deep Dive course - the extra VIP classes.

Today was fantastic, as was the main four weeks that preceded it. Tiffanie and Philip both... teaching Howler... I'm in Heaven!!!

Here are some extra homework fun animations I did with the new techniques and tools I've learned:

@Dartanbeck: Impressive! It really shows how much potential there is in PD Howler. 

edited May 2023

mding said:

@Dartanbeck: Impressive! It really shows how much potential there is in PD Howler. 

Thanks. Something different, that's for sure! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

For one of our weeks of homework (first week) we had two assignments: 1 - Color Grade an Image, and 2 - Fix an Image

I ended up deciding to do both to the same project - first the Fix, then the Color Grade.

I began with an old render of mine. I always liked this one, but with this homework assignment I felt it would be cool to replace my older V4 based Rosie with the current Genesis 3 version. I got this straight from my gallery:

Tiffanie showed us an incredible tool - the Replacer. The perfect tool to begin with, I need to erase most of the older Rosie image to make room for the new one. So here's a WIP of me using the Replacer tool:

After turning Rosie 4 into a hallway with cool little lights and such, I added the new Rosie 7 and then performed the color grading to come up with this. 

You changed the whole atmosphere, very cool!

Thanks!