When I import a DAZ Studio figure into Carrara the eyes and eyelashes textures don't import.

ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I need some help getting modified DAZ characters into Carrara 8.5.

Does anyone know the correct way to import DAZ characters into Carrara?

I modified a Victoria 4 figure and exported it as a Poser file using this procedure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDYEvSb7jQs

Everything exported with the textures except the eyes and eyelashes.

Any ideas?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited October 2012

HI ckalan1 :)

There's no need to go through that process you linked to,. that's just a way to get genesis into poser,... and it's now obsolete, thanks to the new DSON exporter for poser.

To load Genesis, you'll need the Carrara 8.5 beta., but you don't need to export or import it,..
    you load figures from the browser "Content" tab , or (Smart Content tab, in the 8.5 beta)

To get any previous Daz3d figures like V4 into Carrara 8 or earlier, you would load it directly from the Content browser in carrara,..into a scene. in the same way that you would load a figure in Poser or Daz Studio. (see pic)

Carrara should be able to find and set up any Poser Runtime folders, and any Daz Studio / My library / runtime folders, and they should be added to your Content browser in Carrara, so that you can load poser and Daz figures, poses, textures etc...

If you have Daz Studio 4.5 installed and the CMS running, then you can load Genesis, clothing, hair etc.. from the Smart Content tab in the beta.

For custom figures created in Daz Studio 4.5,. you can use the new DUF format to load characters, materials, poses etc

Hope it helps :)

browser_load.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 147K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the input. This is an example of what I am talking about.

Can you give me some ideas about what is going on and how to fix this.

Eyelash_problem.JPG
    603 x 630 - 28K
    edited December 1969

HI :)

It looks like the eye texture maps are there, but not the eyelashes,.
    I'm not sure why, but if this is your custom model from poser, then it could be something in the way that you've saved the cr2

In Carrara,. if you select the figure,. then go to the Scene Instance List, on the right, and select the MODEL level, you should see a SHADERS tab, in the top right section. (see pic)

in that list of shaders, you'll see Eyelash.

you can double click that, to open the shader editor.

there should be a texture map in the Alpha channel of the shader. (see pic2)

If there's nothing there,. you can add a texture map, and browse to your poser or DS Runtime\textures\DAZ\Characters\MilWom\V4
    the eyelash transparency image should be something like ... ( V4 smplLashesTr .jpg )

The alternative to that is to load a different figure shader for V4 from the poser content,. or to load the Carrara High res shaders for V4 from Carrara's shaders section of the browser.

To create a custom figure in Carrara.

You would load the default figure,.. adjust or load the morphs settings, and skin textures you want,.
    then drag the figure from the Instance list on the right,. and drop it into the "My Objects" section of the browser. (see pic 3)

Then you can load that into any scene.

You can also add clothing to a figure,. then select all of the clothing and the figure, and make it into a "Group" (Edit / Group)
    then you can drag that whole group into your My Objects tab,. so you have a complete dressed figure,.. which will also be saved with any animation you've applied to the figure.

Hope it helps :)

save_figure.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 255K
    lash2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 271K
    lash.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 229K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

These are the stock V4.2 figure with no modifications.

Craig

edited December 1969

HI Craig ..

that's strange,...

How are you loading the figure.?

the images I posted were also the default V4,.. loaded from the Carrara content browser, and all the texture load just fine.

Andy :)

edited December 1969

I open Carrara 8.5 then go to content browser and load the figure. The genesis figure loads in fine.

edited December 1969

I reinstalled v4.2. I was then able to correctly load in the model in Carrara.

Thanks for the ideas.

I have a feeling I will have to rebuild my custom figures now that I have done a re-installation.

Thanks again for your help.

Craig

edited December 1969

Ah Ha ! that explains it.

...missing texture maps..

Anyway,. everything is good now. (hopefully)

I have a feeling I will have to rebuild my custom figures now that I have done a re-installation.

Possibly not, if you've saved it in poser it should still be there.

If you're going to use this figure in a series of scenes, and if it's created by adjusting the Morphs,.. then it's a good idea to do that in Carrara, and save it to the browser.

edited December 1969

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Craig