Mec4d PBS Shaders Vol 2 Merchant Resource.

I would love to see Mec4d PBS Shaders Vol 2 available as a Merchant Resource package. I just started playing with this and it has so much to offer. I do own his PBS MR package and it offers many great shaders also.

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

For me not so good business doing Merchant Resources and I am not going to do it again , it was not worthy .

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,085

Sorry to hear that.

I do enjoy all of your products.

Thank you :)

Sigurd said:

Sorry to hear that.

I do enjoy all of your products.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,876

I was hoping your merchant resources would lead to better products from other PAs, so we don't have to rework them with your shaders all the time! smiley

Not enough PAs hahahah and people change the settings anyway so it ends in something else  , I did not purchased yet any set that was set correctly for iray even if the description said IRAY materials all it seems just usign iray Uber with 3DL settings , very clumpy slowing down rendering that even my early 6000 cuda cores can't spin it in the viewport and chock on it , the moment I replaced the materials rendering was a breeze and I am talking about simple materials not  volumetric . For example you have nice buildings in the front but the moment you rotate it on the site it looks like after tropical rain etc etc..

I think everyone need more time to learn better ..

barbult said:

I was hoping your merchant resources would lead to better products from other PAs, so we don't have to rework them with your shaders all the time! smiley

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,085

Keep up the good work.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,876
    MEC4D said:

Not enough PAs hahahah and people change the settings anyway so it ends in something else  , I did not purchased yet any set that was set correctly for iray even if the description said IRAY materials all it seems just usign iray Uber with 3DL settings , very clumpy slowing down rendering that even my early 6000 cuda cores can't spin it in the viewport and chock on it , the moment I replaced the materials rendering was a breeze and I am talking about simple materials not  volumetric . For example you have nice buildings in the front but the moment you rotate it on the site it looks like after tropical rain etc etc..

barbult said:

I hear you! I am so disappointed with "Iray Materials" that aren't. The latest struggle I've had is with the oxygen mask of the firefighter suit. It renders almost completely opaque. My poor firefighter can't see where he is going. It uses a gray Cutout Opacity mask (same one as 3Delight materials). I used your thin white plastic shader on it, and it was instantly 1000% better. The only problem was that the surfaces were not setup to truly allow shader substitution, because the translucent part and an opaque black part were all one surface. So I just let the black part get reshaded, too, and covered it with the helmet.

I don't know anything about setting up PBR materials myself. All I know is, when it looks bad, head for the Mec4D shader packs to fix it.

I have a question about the procedural fabrics. Is there a way to rotate them? The textures seem to run vertically. Somethimes I'd like them horizontal. Is there a way to do that?

edited July 2016

In cases like that you can use polygon editor and add your own material zone and save the scene for next time or the asset , we just all started with iray and it is still young engine so more time needed for everyone to get it .I am couple years ahead with PBR so it is much easier for me and still a lot to learn .

There is no way to rotate the fabrics from the surface tab , as all the details you see are generated by the settings in real time , you can try to add ( - ) in front of the value to reverse the position but the result will be not guaranteed as it is random process and you never know how it will looks next time you edit the value . Kat in the bag lol

barbult said:
    MEC4D said:

barbult said:

I hear you! I am so disappointed with "Iray Materials" that aren't. The latest struggle I've had is with the oxygen mask of the firefighter suit. It renders almost completely opaque. My poor firefighter can't see where he is going. It uses a gray Cutout Opacity mask (same one as 3Delight materials). I used your thin white plastic shader on it, and it was instantly 1000% better. The only problem was that the surfaces were not setup to truly allow shader substitution, because the translucent part and an opaque black part were all one surface. So I just let the black part get reshaded, too, and covered it with the helmet.

I don't know anything about setting up PBR materials myself. All I know is, when it looks bad, head for the Mec4D shader packs to fix it.

I have a question about the procedural fabrics. Is there a way to rotate them? The textures seem to run vertically. Somethimes I'd like them horizontal. Is there a way to do that?

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • I've gotten good use out of your volume 2, but I get a bit frustrated that it doesn't play well with existing textures.  For example, using one of the shaders to change the material of armor without affecting the designs etched on it.  Sometimes I can tell it to ignore images and it will be close, but typically I will have to at least re-apply the images, if I can get it working at all.

For other uses though, when I don't need the base pattern, this is great!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Working with Iray and procedural stuff, I'm developing a deep frustration with people who use maps to combine multiple very different materials into one. Like I have these tankards that are wood and metal... except it's all one surface.

Yeah, I can separate the surfaces with geometry editor and so on, but dang it folks...

In some cases it will not work with PBR shaders like that , as the textures you using was not made for this kind of shader , you need to use additional maos that you don;t have to make it works when replacing old textures , all shaders are calibrated with maps and replacing maps will destroy the shader or will not working anymore the way it should , all you can do only is add additional maps between or replace normal or opacity 

but not loading the original base shader maps is like apply empty shader as all values are in the original maps ( beside normal, bump, opacity ) it is more for creating new unique look for old stuff 

I've gotten good use out of your volume 2, but I get a bit frustrated that it doesn't play well with existing textures.  For example, using one of the shaders to change the material of armor without affecting the designs etched on it.  Sometimes I can tell it to ignore images and it will be close, but typically I will have to at least re-apply the images, if I can get it working at all.

For otherexturw uses though, when I don't need the base pattern, this is great!

That is the trend now with Metalicity maps, I don't like it , it is good for Unity games not for creative people that like changes  however it save space when all stuff is in one map but this is one ride ponny 

Working with Iray and procedural stuff, I'm developing a deep frustration with people who use maps to combine multiple very different materials into one. Like I have these tankards that are wood and metal... except it's all one surface.

Yeah, I can separate the surfaces with geometry editor and so on, but dang it folks...

BTW my full catalog is 70% off with Mega Fast Grab for limited time only .. don't miss it guys ! crazy low prices on everything as never before 

• MEC4D said:

BTW my full catalog is 70% off with Mega Fast Grab for limited time only .. don't miss it guys ! crazy low prices on everything as never before 

Hey, I would like to say that your stuff is some of the best here. The models are fantastic also the shaders are great I use them all the time. I was wondering if you plan any stuff for the Gen 3 models ? I for one would love to see some. But none the less Thank you for all the cool stuff.

Thank you, I am working on as we speak .. but new stuff come in the late September also for the Gen 3 models . 

MEC4D said:

Hey, I would like to say that your stuff is some of the best here. The models are fantastic also the shaders are great I use them all the time. I was wondering if you plan any stuff for the Gen 3 models ? I for one would love to see some. But none the less Thank you for all the cool stuff.

• AutumnAutumn Posts: 81

Flippin' love your shaders :) With Geom shells they are just the most useful thing I have in my runtime for getting the most out of everything else. Just wanted to say thanks for such a handy couple of sets! 

• Don't want to start a new thread so I would like to revive this this topic - can this shader make the wet clothes semi-transparent? If it is possible is there a tutorial or tips how to achieve this?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Don't want to start a new thread so I would like to revive this this topic - can this shader make the wet clothes semi-transparent? If it is possible is there a tutorial or tips how to achieve this?

Vol 2 has several plastic and plastic bag shaders that work well and might be able to be adjusted for the wet look.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    MEC4D said:

For me not so good business doing Merchant Resources and I am not going to do it again , it was not worthy .

I'm sorry to learn that. I bought your merchant resource package and just love it. I so wish Vol. 1 was an merchant resource.