Data folder under the carrara library?

trying to figure out is supposed to go in there?

i see like preview.car files.  guessing it's for the wizard dialogs?

the Plants older has bunch of stuff like pinecones.car.

i put Howie's scened in separate  lib folder, there is another data folder with plants.
wondering if i can move them to a Presets Plants folder, or if needs to be there to be called from tree editor?

or those plant files have to be in the one data folder under the program files?

thanks!  

i've been slowly moving my poser stuff to the carrara tab,
and saving shaders to shader tab.

i see how to save the shaders, 
but is there a syntax to call the morphs into V4's morph channels and shaders in one file?

ideally, i load only the morphs used in the character.

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Data\Plants is where custom leaves for trees etc go. In the Plant editor, if you add a leaf type to your native tree, this is where it'll come from.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Misty,. :)

If you load your figure,. Apply skin textures, load any morphs you need ,. dress it,. add hair,. and get it to the point where you're happy with it,. 

Select the figure and all it's clothes hair etc and make it into a Group ..EDIT / Group (Ctr+G) ,.. you could also (optionally) save it as an Animated Group.

Drag that Group to the "My Objects" section of the browser,.. (Ideally you would create a sub folder for your "actors" or dressed figures..)

NOTE: The "My Objects" folder is really located in your (My Documents / Daz3D / Carrara(version) / My Presets / My Objects

Rather than in the Carrara program folder

Carrara saves your clothed, morphed, figure, as a scene file (.car)

you can drag that into any scene,. and you're ready to animate,. or render.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

figured out the object tab isnt for .obj objects 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Howie's Snow Scene I installed probably with DIM, possibly by bitrock installer, and it ended up like so...

• /data/Plants/Misc/Spruce.car
    • /data/Plants/Misc/SpruceWinter.car
    • /Presets/Plants/Misc/SpruceTree.car
    • /Presets/Plants/Misc/WinterSpruceTree.car
    • /ReadMe's/pics/8444.jpg
    • /ReadMe's/pics/dazlogo.jpg
    • /ReadMe's/ProductLists/FileList_8444_1_ca_HowiesSnowScene_1.txt
    • /ReadMe's/readme_8444_1_HowiesSnowScene.html
    • /Scenes/Misc/HowiesSnowScene.car

pinecones?

theoretically, should be able to add berries to the tree branches 

Treat them like leaves. I did a rowan tree with berries. Can't find a render right now, but I'll post it when I do.

Treat them like leaves. I did a rowan tree with berries. Can't find a render right now, but I'll post it when I do.

would like to see!

imagining big tree berries for grazing dinos.

seeing willow in basic plants, not the weeping kind

Here we are, found it. As you can see, I didn't get the orientation of the berry clusters right yet, so they stick to the tree somewhat oddly, but you should get the idea.

cm2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yup. Woodlands comes with a Wild Cranberry tree preset, but also comes with both red and blue berries for making/adding to your own trees ;)

Looks great Tango!

woodland in the daz store? mebbe can get in pa sale

Absolutely! I'm not sure which date it will be on sale... but it certainly will be!

Here is a promo shot of the plant presets that come with it. It adds new presets to the Browser for "Basic Plants", which is where all of Carrara's tree presets are, "Nature" has chunks of environment with plants already growing that we can add to any scene, "Leaves" has the new berries. Then there's a whole bunch of environment presets in the Scenes tab under Landscapes! And it comes with a bunch of shaders too! I try to keep them really inexpensive but packed to the hilt, overflowing with stuff to play with! ;)

I use the Base System's atmosphere and lighting for almost every outdoors shot I render - between this and my other sets.

is there set with a weeping willow?

Yes... and it's absolutely FREE!!! :)

evilproducer's incredible Fantasy Village kit at Share CG is an amazing resource! I love this kit!

He had originally built the scene using freebie buildings from "DryJack", also at ShareCG, so he wasn't able to include those in the set, so he placed these nice low-poly blocks with a key to explain which building goes where. 

Of course, you can always add whatever building you want.

Although it's not a 'preset' of a Weeping Willow, the tree is in there, so you can click it, open it up and save it as a preset! ;) That's how us PAs do it. 

My EnvironKit Shaders look awesome on this as well!!! (Shameless hint!!! LOL)

Currently on sale, I also really love Howie Farkes Arboretum sets, which include all manner of tree presets. I collect all of his products because they come with so much stuff - not just his gorgeous scenes, but all of the extra objects and presets are a huge value!

would be cute to add ladybugs to plant editor.  grasshoppers.  apples

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I have added anatomical elements, don't ask .....

the library preview thumbnails only work from embedded thumbnails?

tried making .png of same name as file.

mebbe resave as all external?  ...  hiccups on the silly things  lol

edited August 2016
    MistyMist said:

the library preview thumbnails only work from embedded thumbnails?

tried making .png of same name as file.

mebbe resave as all external?  ...  hiccups on the silly things  lol

Right. Only embedded. We can make them either by dragging something into the browser, saving with thumbnail or, as I've mentioned before: we can use P3dO Photo & 3D Explorer by SENO Software

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited August 2016

thankssmiley.  think i d/l the trial version of it. 246 file.

for organizing purposes, whaz the official difference between a scene and a preset?
    functionally, seems to do the same thing.
    the stuff i would consider presets, like RS presets are under Misc.

as a test, gonna try putting country lane scene under the object folder.  just to see what happens when i load it from there.

Post edited by Mistara on

Yup. It's all just saving something to data form is all. The Browser has a cool way of helping us store the right stuff in the right spots, though... to a point.

Anything can be saved as a scene, so long as we save the scene, which is any open window in the Assemble room. Scenes can also be saved in the Objects tab. Many of us consider pretty much all of it as a "Preset", because it's all just a setup that was saved to behave and render a certain way.

Misc tab is awesome in that when we add a folder to it via Add Folder, it asks what sort of miscellaneous data is in it - or is going to go into it. RS presets are atmosphere presets, Background presets can be anything from a color or gradient to an HDRI. Modifiers, IK Chains, all manner of fun stuff can go in here.

Shader presets can be single shaders or entire sets of shaders. 

Clips don't have to be clips, but can be non-animated pose files or even just a collection of morph settings, like for transferring the shape of one figure to a new one, via the Load Data from Clip from the NLA tab.

All of these things result in some sort of internal thumbnail embedded into the file to show up as at least something in the browser. P3dO Photo & 3D Explorer by SENO Software (the actual paid-for Por version only) allows us to open up these files and embed them with our own 90 x 90 pixel images. I didn't have this when I made Starry Sky for Carrara, which is why there is a camera named "Close Up" in the scene files - it is what creates the thumbnail, being the highest in the hierarchy (I think that's how it works). But when we just drag something into the browser, it doesn't use any of 'our' cameras, but a default internal camera that just shoots a png with alpha of whatever it is that we're saving - or not if it's out of that camera's view.

MistyMist said:

the stuff i would consider presets, like RS presets are under Misc.

Yeah, I call my EnvironKit Presets "Presets" because I consider them to be just a small example of a beginning of a scene - hence, I consider each of them a preset. Just a starting point. 

edited August 2016

when i aded an object folder it asked me to specify it was object.  when i double clicked it loaded like a normal scene file.  i think calling it an object folder is a way for us to organize props separately.

i have the starry skies!  smiley  i' was just sorting the plus and minuses.  i'm assuming 'large' means it's for the 3000ft magnitude?

i'm rendering the country lane hedge grow scene,
     to make it a starry night over the hedge grow scene, i drag the medium over where it says scene in instance tab?
    nope, lol.  gave me a browse place holder.  need to dig out the readme

Post edited by Mistara on
    MistyMist said:

when i aded an object folder it asked me to specify it was object.  when i double clicked it loaded like a normal scene file.  i think calling it an object folder is a way for us to organize props separately.

i have the starry skies!  smiley  i' was just sorting the plus and minuses.  i'm assuming 'large' means it's for the 3000ft magnitude?

i'm rendering the country lane hedge grow scene,
     to make it a starry night over the hedge grow scene, i drag the medium over where it says scene in instance tab?
    nope, lol.  gave me a browse place holder.  need to dig out the readme

Yes. But not the one that says "Medium" on it... the one it is pointing to. on the right of it. Just drag it right into the scene - voila! 

Sad said:

I have added anatomical elements, don't ask .....

it only just started percolating in my brain what this means  lol

i'se not that swift.  

often playing when i'm dead brain tired.  is one reason why i spend so much time organizing, don't want to have to think about where something is when i'm half asleep.