batch untick UV plugin please

Somebody PLEAAAAASE make a batch untick UV plugin please enlightened

I go nuts with anything in duf format unticking UV wrapping  on practicaly every mesh

I gave up today on i13 coffeeshop

my Poser DSON import misses half the mesh and a Poser obj import all the pictures on wall and merges some domains so neither much use in Carrara either/

the duf has everything just those damned ticked UV's making it unmappable and you have to do them one by one ....

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

ditto that :-)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Yeah, I'm still reluctant to buy DUF-Only products, which is a real bummer because I'd really like to support the cause... I guess I'm just still too scared of getting stuff I can't use! So I'm always looking to see if the product(s) come with a Poser version. The exception being Genesis stuff.

With all of these Flash Sales going on these days, I'm finding all kinds of cool sets that I've always wanted to buy but haven't! Stonemason just had one, so I spent my whole allowance! LOL

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

could a carrara python script do something like that?

• kakmankakman Posts: 225

While you are waiting for someone to make a plug-in for this, here is a workaround that I have been using:

Open the DUF product in Carrara and Save it as a Carrara file – UNCOMPRESSED!

Edit the Carrara file, using Notepad+++ - it’s free (or the text editor of your choice), and replace ALL the instances of ABoo 23 with ABoo 3 and save the file.

This will set ALL the Wrap UV Values element to UNCHECKED.

thank you!!!!!

You ROCK, Kakman!!! Now that's some Sweet info, right there!!! ;)

Thanks! Really... for Everything!!! :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Kakman you are a *BOSS* yes

damn I might have to buy all those other  DS only sets I have been avoiding now!!

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    kakman said:
    Edit the Carrara file, using Notepad+++ - it’s free (or the text editor of your choice), and replace ALL the instances of ABoo 23 with ABoo 3 and save the file.

Search and Replace in a text editor can be very slow with 3D files. They can easily be thousands of pages long, with hundreds of thousands, or even millions of lines. (I have not used Notepad+++, and perhaps it is optimized to handle large documents.)

If the Search and Replace is taking a very long time (like several minutes), there are text editors that can do it almost instantaneously with a text file that is hundreds of Mb. UltraEdit and VEDIT are a couple that I have used that are very fast.

There may be some free text editors that are equally as fast.

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited July 2016

Nice trick kakman!

On a Mac this can be done using a single command in the terminal: 

perl -pi -w -e 's/ABoo 23/ABoo 3/g;' ~/pathtofile/filename.car

and replace "pathtofile" and "filename" with your file details.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    Sad said:

Kakman you are a *BOSS* yes

damn I might have to buy all those other  DS only sets I have been avoiding now!!

Yeah... me too! Woot! I'm still happily purchasing older kits, though... many of them are really fast as well as being incredibly made! ;)

cdordoni said:
    kakman said:

Search and Replace in a text editor can be very slow with 3D files. They can easily be thousands of pages long, with hundreds of thousands, or even millions of lines. (I have not used Notepad+++, and perhaps it is optimized to handle large documents.)

If the Search and Replace is taking a very long time (like several minutes), there are text editors that can do it almost instantaneously with a text file that is hundreds of Mb. UltraEdit and VEDIT are a couple that I have used that are very fast.

There may be some free text editors that are equally as fast.

Thanks cdordoni! Appreciate that advice!

https://www.facebook.com/wendy5/videos/10209306820381531/

Carrara Octane render

I fixed the coffeeshop in plain old notepad and its fine, thanks again for this, I am chuffed! heart

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

thanks for that ;-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks kakman! 

If it was so simple you would think daze could have done it , or pointed it out 

alternatively, keeping us in the dark with  the uv thing is just another way of keeping carrara crippled

you Rock ! 

Carrara users

I am very happy about being able to “give back” a little something to this community, which has helped me over and over again.  The generosity that is exhibited here each and every day is truly spectacular.

DAZ has continually exhibited their ignorance when it comes to Carrara.  Changing the texture filtering to Fast Mip Map as the default is just one example of this.  The ONLY logical thing to do would have been to make this a selectable option in the preferences – NOT change it without ANY WAY to keep the original Sampling option as the default. 

Thankfully Fenric came to the rescue, and although it fails to change ALL of the textures (especially if the maps are “nested”) it is still a huge time saver.

As I was sitting at my computer “unticking” the Wrap UV values box, Over and Over again, it occurred to me that there had to be a better way.

So I loaded up a relatively small .DUF product and saved it as a .CAR file.  I then made a copy of that .CAR file and opened it in Carrara and did the usual “Untick” dance and saved the file.

I then opened both files in Notepad+++ and had Notepad+++ do a file comparison.  The ONLY changes to the file were to the ABoo values.

Just to be sure, I started over again and had Notepad+++ count the number of instances of the ABoo value and made sure that the number of replacements were the same.

I then opened the changed file in Carrara and made sure the WRAP UV Value was “unticked” for each and every instance.

Sad:

That is very funny and totally accurate!

notepad hack for fast mipmap to sampling find replace filt 3 with filt 0

I missed out on buying Fenric's plugin to do it in scene so also got out notepad and compared and discovered that.

Sad said:

Carrara users

can ya believe ... i rendered this without turning on caustics  >.<  haz to go back and relearn, rerender everything !!!

Sad said:

I missed out on buying Fenric's plugin to do it in scene so also got out notepad and compared and discovered that.

Wow! What a great find! Thanks!

Sad said:

Wow! What a great find! Thanks!

+1  thanks ++

Sad said:

Great Find!  Thank you so much for this.

Fenric's plugin for this does NOT change all the maps.  It does not change any map that is not on the TOP level of the shader channel.  So, for example, if there is a multplier for the channel it will NOT find and change the map's filter setting.

but, how yoo uncompress compressed .cbr??

only seeing uncompress option for the whole .car enchilada 

MistyMist said:

but, how yoo uncompress compressed .cbr??

only seeing uncompress option for the whole .car enchilada 

I use P3dO Photo & 3D Explorer by SENO Software (only the paid Pro version works with Carrara files)

but I think Fenric was saying that we can just use WinRAR or 7zip? Haven't tried that.

edited August 2016

PS: the main reason I bought P3dO Photo & 3D Explorer was to be able to create my own custom thumbnails for my products. We open the .CAR file in the explorer and can then change the thumbnail, decompress/compress, and other things. The author of the software is super friendly and helpful too!

Here's the Carrara stuff page

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

thanks Dartanbeck!!

cheers!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Regarding the notepad hack for changing Fast Mip Map to Sampling by replacing "filt 3" with "filt 0".

I tried this technique on an uncompressed Carrara file containing the 3DUniverse "Jason" character. After replacing 54 occurrences of filt 3 with filt 0 It seemed to have no effect. The file still opened and appeared to function properly, but the Texture Map shaders were still all set to Fast Mip Map.

Has anyone else tried and had success with this? This is one hack that I really wanted to use.

• de3an said:

Regarding the notepad hack for changing Fast Mip Map to Sampling by replacing "filt 3" with "filt 0".

I tried this technique on an uncompressed Carrara file containing the 3DUniverse "Jason" character. After replacing 54 occurrences of filt 3 with filt 0 It seemed to have no effect. The file still opened and appeared to function properly, but the Texture Map shaders were still all set to Fast Mip Map.

Has anyone else tried and had success with this? This is one hack that I really wanted to use.

It worked for me when I used it to untick the uv's. I used text on the Mac not notepad though. 

edited August 2016

mip maps sound cute  but is mysterious stuff

like red matter and supernovas

why yoo dont like mip maps?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Mip map is inferior to Sampling, at certain distances with some figures if you use mip maps you'll see lines/cracks between the texture regions, that's the main problem with using fast mip map texturing.

On the other hand I freely admit my ignorance when it comes to unticking UV wrapping, that's not something I'm familiar with, is there something intrinsic in the way DUF files work that needs us to have the UV wrapping unticked?  I hadn't really noticed anything, but then maybe I wasn't looking carefully enough?

Either way I'm glad for the notebook hacks to change these things quickly (especially the mip map thing, that's going to be a very useful tip)

de3an said:

I have already used this hack several times and it has worked perfectly each time.

I do not have the "Jason" character, but I just tested it with another 3DUniverse character - "Toon Boy Sam", and it performed flawlessly.

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Carrara Pro 64 bit and Notepad++.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    de3an said:

It worked for me when I used it to untick the uv's. I used text on the Mac not notepad though. 

Thanks Brian. I'm also using TextEdit on Mac OS, but I haven't tried the Wrap UV operation yet.

kakman said:

I have already used this hack several times and it has worked perfectly each time.

I do not have the "Jason" character, but I just tested it with another 3DUniverse character - "Toon Boy Sam", and it performed flawlessly.

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Carrara Pro 64 bit and Notepad++.

Thanks for the info kakman. I appear to have found my problem. The "Filt" parameter in the Carrara file is case sensitive.

I had mindlessly blush copied "filt" from Wendy's post and pasted it into my search-and-replace text boxes not noticing that the search function wasn't case sensitive. So it obediently replaced all occurrences of "Filt" with "filt". Funny that the file still loaded without error though.

Anyway, thanks for this useful technique!
    And thanks for the additional tip Wendy.