The future of carrara

124»

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

Dart, this is way OT but "VideoStudio Ultimate 9 + bonus Film Effects is on sale, 40% off. I don't do video but would it perhaps aide in Animations or even for tutorials?

It's only a flash sale and doesn't last long.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

John ,. Go get Hitfilm express,. it's free.

you may not be creating video's,... yet,.

but at some point, you'll want to render out still images, or animated sequnces,. then either edit sequences together,. or composite images / sequences to create more complex effects.

Hit film is a video editor, and a compositor.

you can also find a wealth of free video editing and copositing tutorials for Adobe After Effects, at www.videocopilot.net

although the tutorials are for after effects,. the workflow and many techniques can be applied when working with other programs. such as hit-film

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2016
    wgdjohn said:

Dart, this is way OT but "VideoStudio Ultimate 9 + bonus Film Effects is on sale, 40% off. I don't do video but would it perhaps aide in Animations or even for tutorials?

Yeah, being a VideoStudio Pro owner, they nail me with time-sensitive offers CONSTANTLY! I can always get the latest Ultimate on sale - and they let us upgrade from any old version, it seems. My last upgrade was to X7 Ultimate, and I do really like it.

3DAGE said:

but at some point, you'll want to render out still images, or animated sequnces,. then either edit sequences together,. or composite images / sequences to create more complex effects.

you can also find a wealth of free video editing and copositing tutorials for Adobe After Effects, at www.videocopilot.net

although the tutorials are for after effects,. the workflow and many techniques can be applied when working with other programs. such as hit-film

Never reading far enough into it to figure out that HitFilm is a compositor (something I didn't know much about until fairly recently) AND an Editor, I never really opened it up and played with it. I got the Express version 2, back when there was a post about how cool it was, and that it was Free, here in the forums.

I recently took a VFX class and the compositing lessons were all done using HitFilm 3 Express, so that we all had access to the software, since it's free. We didn't do any editing in it, only compositing. Now we're up to HitFilm 4 Express and I like it so much I'm going to buy Pro as soon as I can. Since my disposable income has been very much lacking lately, I didn't want to wait until that (buying Pro) in order to have some of the more advanced features, so I bought a couple of inexpensive add-ons (I got the Starter Pack and the Destruction Pack) available for the Express version. These all come free in the Pro version, but at least I'll be able to use these features now.

Simon Jones from FX Home (makers of HitFilm) was one of my VFX instructors - and he did an excellent job teaching us some valuable skills - my Carrara experience has changed forever now that I've been studying Visual Effects! (Simon's the guy in this video wondering how much her helmet cost! LOL - The guy on the left in the video thumbnail below)

HitFilm has some nice tutorials on their YouTube channel, but I've been learning from many sources. Fusion (BlackMagic Design) is a node-based compositor, which is really powerful, and also free... but the free version limits us in resolution and is incapable of using plugins. It doesn't have an Editor built in, but I have several of those. So I'm learning Fusion, HitFilm, and the realm of visual effects in general. Many of the compositing techniques apply directly to Project Dogwaffle Howler, which I've really been having a lot of fun with - learning, using, growing... I like using Howler so much that HitFilm and Fusion have been fairly ignored when I can just do it in Howler, which has so far been pretty much everything! 

But... yeah... I'm with 3DAGE on this. I'll be digging into HitFilm's editing capabilities the next time I edit my clips together - which will be soon, hence the recent purchase. So I'll be doing a lot of compositing and other vfx as well as editing within HitFilm, even though I'll still be doing a lot in Howler as well.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thanks 3DAGE,  will do.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    wgdjohn said:

Yeah, being a VideoStudio Pro owner, they nail me with time-sensitive offers CONSTANTLY! I can always get the latest Ultimate on sale - and they let us upgrade from any old version, it seems. My last upgrade was to X7 Ultimate, and I do really like it.

3DAGE said:

Never reading far enough into it to figure out that HitFilm is a compositor (something I didn't know much about until fairly recently) AND an Editor, I never really opened it up and played with it. I got the Express version 2, back when there was a post about how cool it was, and that it was Free, here in the forums.

I recently took a VFX class and the compositing lessons were all done using HitFilm 3 Express, so that we all had access to the software, since it's free. We didn't do any editing in it, only compositing. Now we're up to HitFilm 4 Express and I like it so much I'm going to buy Pro as soon as I can. Since my disposable income has been very much lacking lately, I didn't want to wait until that (buying Pro) in order to have some of the more advanced features, so I bought a couple of inexpensive add-ons (I got the Starter Pack and the Destruction Pack) available for the Express version. These all come free in the Pro version, but at least I'll be able to use these features now.

Simon Jones from FX Home (makers of HitFilm) was one of my VFX instructors - and he did an excellent job teaching us some valuable skills - my Carrara experience has changed forever now that I've been studying Visual Effects! (Simon's the guy in this video wondering how much her helmet cost! LOL - The guy on the left in the video thumbnail below)

HitFilm has some nice tutorials on their YouTube channel, but I've been learning from many sources. Fusion (BlackMagic Design) is a node-based compositor, which is really powerful, and also free... but the free version limits us in resolution and is incapable of using plugins. It doesn't have an Editor built in, but I have several of those. So I'm learning Fusion, HitFilm, and the realm of visual effects in general. Many of the compositing techniques apply directly to Project Dogwaffle Howler, which I've really been having a lot of fun with - learning, using, growing... I like using Howler so much that HitFilm and Fusion have been fairly ignored when I can just do it in Howler, which has so far been pretty much everything! 

But... yeah... I'm with 3DAGE on this. I'll be digging into HitFilm's editing capabilities the next time I edit my clips together - which will be soon, hence the recent purchase. So I'll be doing a lot of compositing and other vfx as well as editing within HitFilm, even though I'll still be doing a lot in Howler as well.

My daughter is taking the VFX course you did and it using stuff she makes in studio and Carrara to make the films for home work.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2016

My daughter is taking the VFX course you did and it using stuff she makes in studio and Carrara to make the films for home work.

Sweet!!!! :)

I did the same, when I took that course! My classmates got a big kick out of it, too! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on