Third Party Plug-In suggestions/requests

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited August 2016 in Carrara Discussion

With the amazing success of VWD's cloth sim/  Philemo's bridge plus Philemo's' no poke through' plug in a whole new world

is being opened up for Carrara users,

So I wondered if we might suggest/ request other plug- ins that will enhance Carrara ?

The idea would be that they were made by talented third party people like Philemo, Fenric, Eric, Sparrowhawke, Howie Farkes etc.

That way we wouldn't have  to depend on Daz - who must be busily working on other improvements before they release Carrara 9.

Feel free to add  requests here.

I'd like to request:

1) A morph injection tool within Carrara ( similar to Poser's.)

How it works: Load up two figures in Carrara - for example V4 and a V4 item of clothing.

Make sure V4 has the morphs you want transferred already injected in her,

In a drop down menu you would have a 'Transfer morphs" section.

You select from V4 figure to the V4 clothing. All her morphs (or selected ones) are transferred to the clothing.

transfer morphs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UAkKCvHjY

2) Morph Brush Tool.

Also similar to poser. This would be similar to Philemo's no poke through plugin but manually controlled.

How it works: Fit an item of clothing to eg V4.

Select the item of clothing.

In a drop down window you select "Make New FBM".

Set the target as V4.

You will get a brush that will either push or pull vertices in relation to V4 until you have the required fit.

The brush can have soft edges,and can pull or push the verticies at 90 degrees to V4 mesh, or in the direction of the stroke.

You can select  the size of the fitting margin (ie how close the verticies will go to the target mesh)

links: poser morph brush https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6w45TzpS4

3) Keyboard Shortcuts to go up or down the Content Folder directory.

That would save many mouse clicks.

Note: Fenric said this is not possible.

4) Texture Loader in Shader Room

How it works: In the shader room, go to a shader that has a texture selected as its parameter.

Double click on that texture and the texture loads up in the program of your choice - eg Photoshop.

many many thanks to anyone who attempts these!

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• Iray rendering for Carrara Pro

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

From the Nvidia site :

NVIDIA Iray Software Store

NVIDIA offers Iray plugin applications for popular 3D content creation software products, and an Iray Server product providing distributed rendering to any of the Iray plugins.

Each Iray plugin is available using a node locked license that runs on one single machine, or as a floating license for organizations wanting to manage their licenses using a license server.

The NVIDIA Iray software products have an introductory price of USD$295/year per license for each product.

I doubt that Iray will be added to Carrara,. since it already has two GPU/CPU PBR renderer plugins available,. Luxus, and Octane,. 

I think the added costs "per year"  of Iray,. would diminish carrara sales. or limit sales of an Iray plugin.

Carrara has a really great render engine ,. and access to the third party plugin render engines (above)

• These are the ones I would find very useful:

1. PBR shading (lighting) model (who in the world uses PHONG these days?)

2. New SSS shader (similar to one in VUE, for example)

3. Skin shader (do I even need to explain need for this?)

4. Blurred reflection shader (well, we all know how speedy Carrara's one is...)

5. Blurred refraction shader (was never implemented)

6. Weight transfer tool (very useful for clothing)

Cheers smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I have an object with named vertex groups.  The vertex modeler can select by the vertex groups.  However, when saved to and retrieved from the object browser, the softbody attach modifier selection tab cannot select by the vertex group, even though it shows up in the menu and even though the vertex modeler still can.  Is there any way to restore functionality to the softbody attach vetrex group selection tab?  See below for screenshots.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/60042/softbody-a-small-improvement-could-go-a-long-way#latest

Fixing this would greatly improve the usefullness of the softbody modifier.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

A Knife Tool for the Vertex Modeler?

edited August 2016

Edited for clarifaction...the only other commercial app I own has a "Knife" tool where one can make a quick, arbitrary (...or constrained with a keyboard key) cut across geometry in various modes of represention, such as Wireframe...and also in the Carrra Universe, "Flat", "Gourad" and "Texture" with different, but predictable results. The benefits are quick - select tool, click and drag  at any angle,  and make a cut through the geometry of the model depending on the viewport setting, particularly helpful if set to "Wire"...thanks for reading. Would pay plug-in price for such a tool, well worth it.

Edited (yet again) to say also with the possibiity of "selected" geometry for more control.

Post edited by DesertDude on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

I see a lot of great ideas here. But I have one additional request:

To anyone who decides to create add-ons for Carrara; please, please, please make both Windows and Mac OS versions.

Please.

Thank you.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

See  Carrara Needs and Wants  for a some suggestions which I had for improving Carrara. Some could also be 3rd party plug-ins but most should be added the Carrara Pro Dev team. Thanks head wax for reminding me. Plug-in suggestions by all a very needed and good as well.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited August 2016

Great ideas everyone :)

Keep them coming!

PS wgdjohn I think 3rd party plugin developers are more reliable than the daz carrara development team  ;)

@DesertDude - knife would be grande

Post edited by Headwax on
    de3an said:

To anyone who decides to create add-ons for Carrara; please, please, please make both Windows and Mac OS versions.

Please.

Thank you.

+1000

head wax, Totally agree and 3rd party developers have very good products. They are very useful and tend to have a lot of options/controls.

de3an and Desert Dude, While I don't have a Mac presently I do want a Mac OS version also should I own one in the future.

edited August 2016
    wgdjohn said:

de3an and Desert Dude, While I don't have a Mac presently I do want a Mac OS version also should I own one in the future.

I am running Carrara 8.1.1 (Pro Build 12 (64 Bit)...not the latest from DAZ, but it works for me on Yosemite 10.10.2  (minus longstanding bugs...).

Hopefully others can helpfully chime in about hardware/OS stuff...meanwhile, thanks for your awesome contributions to the community via other threads wgdjohn!

Post edited by DesertDude on

DesertDude, thank you very much.

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited August 2016
    de3an said:

Please.

Thank you.

+1000

Not even +1 for a Skin Shader  ? surprise

Post edited by FifthElement on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

alembic importer exporter

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

3D Coat APP LINK

Meta-ball and Spline editing in the assembly room (same as vertex models)

texture map support for SSS

Opacity image map layer support for Multilayer shader

32 bit export

Ruler or (click n drag) measuring tape tool.

More options for animation export (BVH DUF ABC)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Layers for Background and Backdrop scene effects

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    3DAGE said:

3D Coat APP LINK

Meta-ball and Spline editing in the assembly room (same as vertex models)

texture map support for SSS

Opacity image map layer support for Multilayer shader

32 bit export

Ruler or (click n drag) measuring tape tool.

More options for animation export (BVH DUF ABC)

32bit export is available with some renderers. I know Lux Render can save 32 bit data in OpenEXR format. I don't know if it can save 32 bit data to other formats.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

is python the plugin language?

carrara python different from poser python?

head wax said:

With the amazing success of VWD's cloth sim/  Philemo's bridge plus Philemo's' no poke through' plug in a whole new world

So I wondered if we might suggest/ request other plug- ins that will enhance Carrara ?

The idea would be that they were made by talented third party people like Philemo, Fenric, Eric, Sparrowhawke, Howie Farkes etc.

That way we wouldn't have  to depend on Daz - who must be busily working on other improvements before they release Carrara 9.

I'd like to request:

How it works: Load up two figures in Carrara - for example V4 and a V4 item of clothing.

You select from V4 figure to the V4 clothing. All her morphs (or selected ones) are transferred to the clothing.

2) Morph Brush Tool.

Also similar to poser. This would be similar to Philemo's no poke through plugin but manually controlled.

Set the target as V4.

You will get a brush that will either push or pull vertices in relation to V4 until you have the required fit.

The brush can have soft edges,and can pull or push the verticies at 90 degrees to V4 mesh, or in the direction of the stroke.

You can select  the size of the fitting margin (ie how close the verticies will go to the target mesh)

How it works: In the shader room, go to a shader that has a texture selected as its parameter.

Double click on that texture and the texture loads up in the program of your choice - eg Photoshop.

+1 for morph inj/ morph channels inj

mebbe will open the door for native carrara human figures content creators heart

edited August 2016

on import carrara asks about removing deformers, would be kewl if it asked convert deformers to morphs.  spawn morphs!

and an uncompress script, DS and Poser both haz.

Post edited by Mistara on
    MistyMist said:

is python the plugin language?

carrara python different from poser python?

Fredric Rible has created 2 fee plugins for Carrara. They are Pycarrara and PyCloid.

PyCarrara can be downloaded at:

PyCarrara

PyCloid can be downloaded at:

PyCloid

FAQ About PyCarrara

Q: Does a Carrara 8 version exist? The PyCarrara Website indicates it is for Carrara 7.

A: PyCarrara has versions for Carrara 6, Carrara 7, and Carrara 8. All the versions are in the latest PyCarra zip file.

Q: I installed the plugin, but it isn't working. What can I do to get it to work?

A: You need to install Python 2.6.6 for your computer Click on the link in the PyCarrara User Manual that downloads the installer you need. If you go to the Python Website you could download a different version. The plugin has in the past not worked for some people if they had a different version of Python 2.6.x installed.

Q: Can I have multiple versions of Python installed on my computer?

A: You can as long as they are not interfering with one another or overwriting each other. It you do install multiple versions to check and see if everything is working after you install another version Python, so you know which version(s) to uninstall and not have on your computer.

Q: Does it work with Mac?

A: Only a Windows version is available.

FAQ About PyCloid

Q: Does a Mac version exist?

A: Only Windows versions are available.

► Carrara Plugins FAQ & Information - By Jay_NOLA
    Jay compilled and organized a great measure of info regarding Plugins specific to our
    beloved Carrara. FAQ, Information and Links to help you determine which are right for you. Thank You Jay_NOLA!

MistyMist said:
    head wax said:

I'd like to request:

2) Morph Brush Tool.

Set the target as V4.

+1 for morph inj/ morph channels inj

mebbe will open the door for native carrara human figures content creators heart

I agree with the +1, so please +1 from me too!

However, we can already do all of this stuff with our Native Carrara figures.

Faba, (fabaone at ShareCG) made a really cool figure - modeled in Hexagon, rigged in Carrara. I don't think she ever made him available to the public though :(

He is one cool looking fellow! If you find her walk animation examples, I think on Vimeo, where he's walking up and down stairs and such... that's the Carrara dude I'm talking about. I'll see if I can find links when I get more time ;)

MistyMist said:

Q: Does it work with Mac?

A: Only a Windows version is available.

FAQ About PyCloid

Q: Does a Mac version exist?

A: Only Windows versions are available.

thanks!  

woes, not a happy for Mac

• From how I understood what Carrara developers told me (EOVIA, not DAZ) long time ago, 32 bit rendering is not how Carrara internally does it, so, I'm afraid that request is not gonna happen, I'll be glad if someone can correct me on this smiley

From how I understood what Carrara developers told me (EOVIA, not DAZ) long time ago, 32 bit rendering is not how Carrara internally does it, so, I'm afraid that request is not gonna happen, I'll be glad if someone can correct me on this smiley

I didn't know that. I do know that Luxus (original for Luxrender 1) allows us to render to 32 bit outputs (EXR)

• Yep, but that's Lux doing it's magic, not Carrara smiley

Yep, but that's Lux doing it's magic, not Carrara smiley

Right. But it does give us a plugin which allows for 32 bit output! Which is a good thing!!! 

• I'm much more interested in LuxCore then Luxus though, it seams that development of Core slowed down considerably, which is kind of sad sad