Girl 5, Freak 5 - coming soon?

bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,830
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet, but the Bijoux Macabre for Genesis product includes preview images marked "Girl 5" and "Freak 5". Just saying ...

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited December 1969

Huh... Interesting, I don't really see a difference between the two and the Gen 4 shapes...

The product isn't a DAZ Original, so it's probably just the PA considering the Genesis Iconic shapes as Gen 5. This is an understandable misconception though, because figures like The Girl are actually just direct carryovers from their Gen 3 versions.

• BorgBoy7BorgBoy7 Posts: 102
    edited December 1969

I wouldn't be so quick to count Girl & Freak out as candidates for Gen 5 characters

edited November 2012

BorgBoy7 said:
    I wouldn't be so quick to count Girl & Freak out as candidates for Gen 5 characters

Oh no, I'm in no way implying that. What I said was, I don't think the ones featured in the product promos are them. So, unless there are slight differences I'm not noticing, those two look exactly like the Gen 4 shapes merely relabeled.
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Gotta wonder how that got past QA, seems like someone would have mentioned the labels were wrong

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

The big question I have is, what would G5 or F5 bring to the table that we don't already have in the form of their G4 iconic shapes, plus all the other morphs we've got from other addons? (E.g., all the breast morphs V5 added over anything G5 might bring given the Girl is known in part for her cleavage). Maybe some better joint bends for their extreme bodyshapes, I suppose, but I think even that is already covered by stuff like Mr. Hyde and/or M5 Hero. And new UV templates wouldn't really help, since barely any 3rd party vendors even uses the V5/M5/S5 maps as it is, sticking to the V4 maps since they can easily re-use them between Gen 4 and Genesis (plus they have a wider sales audience if they don't use one of the x5 UV maps that not everyone may have the base product to make work).

Granted, new base figures typically promote a bunch of new clothing and other addons, which is always nice. But I just don't know what really new stuff we'd get out of version 5s of these figures that we can't already do with the iconic V4 shapes. I'd rather see them come up with some new base shapes, ala Hitomi instead of Aiko 5 (I realize Hitomi is a 3rd party release, but her creator is ex-DAZ and she was promoted heavily by DAZ, just as if she was a DAZ base figure).

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    The big question I have is, what would G5 or F5 bring to the table that we don't already have in the form of their G4 iconic shapes, plus all the other morphs we've got from other addons? (E.g., all the breast morphs V5 added over anything G5 might bring given the Girl is known in part for her cleavage). Maybe some better joint bends for their extreme bodyshapes, I suppose, but I think even that is already covered by stuff like Mr. Hyde and/or M5 Hero. And new UV templates wouldn't really help, since barely any 3rd party vendors even uses the V5/M5/S5 maps as it is, sticking to the V4 maps since they can easily re-use them between Gen 4 and Genesis (plus they have a wider sales audience if they don't use one of the x5 UV maps that not everyone may have the base product to make work).

Granted, new base figures typically promote a bunch of new clothing and other addons, which is always nice. But I just don't know what really new stuff we'd get out of version 5s of these figures that we can't already do with the iconic V4 shapes. I'd rather see them come up with some new base shapes, ala Hitomi instead of Aiko 5 (I realize Hitomi is a 3rd party release, but her creator is ex-DAZ and she was promoted heavily by DAZ, just as if she was a DAZ base figure).

First off there is only one Generation 5 base figure, and that's Genesis, every other character DAZ makes for it is nothing more than a character morph and texture set, no different to any of the other sets that are available for every other figure though out the Poserverse.

The millennium man & woman range of figures were killed off when DAZ made Genesis, now they just use the names as a marketing ploy to pry money from the people that don't know any better, thinking their buying content for a new figure, when all their doing is buying content for Genesis.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

Firstly, I agree with everything you've said. I'd love a She-Freak 5 and even a Freak 5, even a David 5 since we never got a David 4 (*Glares coldly at DAZ*) but with all the morphs and iconic shapes available to use right now...what's the point? We can just create our own (which various threads have continuelly proven). Frankly, I'm really suprised Stephanie 5 & Hiro 5 were made considering we don't even need those two. But some, I'm sure, would beg to differ. Which is fine, everyone has their opinion and this is mine and I'm standing by it.

Secondly, until DAZ proves it otherwise, Hitomi IS Aiko 5 just under a different name.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

One could just as easily say that they didn't need to make Genesis morphs for the Gen 4 or Gen 3 characters, just replace them with Gen 5. But the Gen 5 set is the improved set (even if some disagree), and the older Gens are provided for backward compatibility. The ultimate goal is clearly to have Genesis eventually take over, as it IS a better rig overall. Ultimately, it's all good. It's up to the buyers to decide what makes sense for them to buy. I'd rather have all of the choices than not.

edited December 1969

Secondly, until DAZ proves it otherwise, Hitomi IS Aiko 5 just under a different name.

MallenLane said that Hiro5 is what became of Hitomi's counterpart. Read into it as you like, but i think it closes the loop for me at least. Hitomi is very much Aiko5, at least until Daz tries to come out with another shape just to get more $$. Which I would not fault them for doing. Not saying they will, but hey they came out with S5.

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Gotta wonder how that got past QA, seems like someone would have mentioned the labels were wrong

I once sent Daz a message about Hardcore M4 http://www.daz3d.com/shop/hardcore-m4

I let them know there was something wrong. The promo image with the Asian symbols on the back of the leather jacket is upside down. Daz's response was basically that it was there more for artistic purposes rather than for accuracy. In a sense I can see their point. After all how many people bought that item and never knew.

But if it was incorrect English letters or even Greek symbols, I'm guessing it would have been corrected. Again, if people don't notice, there's no reason for them to bother. But I always assumed Daz was known for top quality products, and something like this would matter to them, especially since they were informed of the error. Silly me.

Anyone who has that product and wants to correct it in post work, don't just flip the symbols, or it will be upright but backwards. The symbols need to be rotated 180 degrees.

I did not purchase Hardcore M4, but based on what I can see in the promo images. The symbols on the holster, strap, and on the FRONT of the jacket is correct. It's the one on the BACK of the jacket that's upside down.

edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:

I once sent Daz a message about Hardcore M4 http://www.daz3d.com/shop/hardcore-m4

I let them know there was something wrong. The promo image with the Asian symbols on the back of the leather jacket is upside down. Daz's response was basically that it was there more for artistic purposes rather than for accuracy. In a sense I can see their point. After all how many people bought that item and never knew.

But if it was incorrect English letters or even Greek symbols, I'm guessing it would have been corrected. Again, if people don't notice, there's no reason for them to bother. But I always assumed Daz was known for top quality products, and something like this would matter to them, especially since they were informed of the error. Silly me.

Anyone who has that product and wants to correct it in post work, don't just flip the symbols, or it will be upright but backwards. The symbols need to be rotated 180 degrees.

I did not purchase Hardcore M4, but based on what I can see in the promo images. The symbols on the holster, strap, and on the FRONT of the jacket is correct. It's the one on the BACK of the jacket that's upside down.

Thank you for sharing that. I don't know any language but English unfortunately so when I buy content with foreign characters I ask what they mean or I completely retexture it. I'm glad you pointed this out because even though I don't have it or want it, it does serve as a reminder to be careful when buying art in languages you don't understand. I find that to be pretty embarrassing frankly.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Looking at those characters (symbols), it's actually quite obvious and rather annoying lol To avoid possible bad wording or offensive words, I would not use REAL world language that I couldn't read. It would have been wise for the artist to create their own language (Symbols) Especially considering its a sci-fi product, not a historical one.

edited October 2012

cwichura said:

Firstly, I agree with everything you've said. I'd love a She-Freak 5 and even a Freak 5, even a David 5 since we never got a David 4 (*Glares coldly at DAZ*) but with all the morphs and iconic shapes available to use right now...what's the point? We can just create our own (which various threads have continuelly proven). Frankly, I'm really suprised Stephanie 5 & Hiro 5 were made considering we don't even need those two. But some, I'm sure, would beg to differ. Which is fine, everyone has their opinion and this is mine and I'm standing by it.

Honestly, I say if DAZ is passing off Hitomi as Aiko 5, then they should buy her off of MallenLane and make the appropriate standard support like all other Icons get like DAZ Original Bonuses, special Gen 5 discounts, and of course, official Starter & Pro Bundles. I like Hitomi, don't get me wrong, but until I see those things happen, I, for one, will NOT call her Aiko 5.

But yeah, as for the actual Aiko, as well as David, unless DAZ has other plans for A5 and intends to make D5 pull a S4 like they did at the end of the Gen 4 run, they're as good as new additions to the Retired Club, sitting right next to She-Freak and all of the Millennium Kids. I already asked MallenLane himself directly about what the deal is in the Members Forum, but he hasn't responded back. Though, I'm sure he will, he actually answered my questions before in the past.

edited October 2012

Honestly, I say if DAZ is passing off Hitomi as Aiko 5, then they should buy her off of MallenLane and make the appropriate standard support like all other Icons get like DAZ Original Bonuses, special Gen 5 discounts, and of course, official Starter & Pro Bundles. I like Hitomi, don't get me wrong, but until I see those things happen, I, for one, will NOT call her Aiko 5.

Her name is Hitomi, not Aiko so you are good for not calling her by the wrong name. :)

But let's not forget how much support she got, she had more day 1 content than any other non-daz character. And just as much as V5/M5/S5/Supersuit if not more. I didn't count all the items but she had a few expression packs, a few pose sets and a ton of characater presets and clothing. Lets not pretend she didn't get support.

The only thing missing was perhaps some sort of bundle and discount, but that has nothing to do with content. That's just business. And you keep assuming that someone wanted their art to be bought out. Have you ever even considered that could be why its NOT a DO? If I made a badass toon like Hitomi Daz couldn't pay me enough to own it. Not saying that is what MallenLane thinks about the subject, but you need to consider that buying things out is not always an option for a variety for reasons.

Perhaps daz wanted Aiko5 to look ya know more like Aiko. perhaps the artist just wanted to get a residual payment on potentially 6 years of sales. Who knows. Hitomi doesn't need Daz Original status to be Hitomi.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

Her name is Hitomi, not Aiko so you are good for not calling her by the wrong name. :)

But let's not forget how much support she got, she had more day 1 content than any other non-daz character. And just as much as V5/M5/S5/Supersuit if not more. I didn't count all the items but she had a few expression packs, a few pose sets and a ton of characater presets and clothing. Lets not pretend she didn't get support.

The only thing missing was perhaps some sort of bundle and discount, but that has nothing to do with content. That's just business. And you keep assuming that someone wanted their art to be bought out. Have you ever even considered that could be why its NOT a DO? If I made a badass toon like Hitomi Daz couldn't pay me enough to own it. Not saying that is what MallenLane thinks about the subject, but you need to consider that buying things out is not always an option for a variety for reasons.

Perhaps daz wanted Aiko5 to look ya know more like Aiko. perhaps the artist just wanted to get a residual payment on potentially 6 years of sales. Who knows. Hitomi doesn't need Daz Original status to be Hitomi.

It could also be speculated that Daz didn't offer MallenLane enough $$$ for Hitomi... Perhaps in the long run, Mallen predicted it would be more profitable to keep it a PA item.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:

It could also be speculated that Daz didn't offer MallenLane enough $$$ for Hitomi... Perhaps in the long run, Mallen predicted it would be more profitable to keep it a PA item.

Ding Ding. That's my point. There are many reasons it may not be a DO, so continuously forcing the issue is needless IMO. It's also a bit rude LOL. I don't like talking numbers about my business even with friends so I never understand how in circles like this people think they should have all the info.

edited October 2012

Spyro said:

Ding Ding. That's my point. There are many reasons it may not be a DO, so continuously forcing the issue is needless IMO. It's also a bit rude LOL. I don't like talking numbers about my business even with friends so I never understand how in circles like this people think they should have all the info.
    Maybe because we're the target customers? You know, the people who are actually fueling this company's income? ;-P

Don't worry, I hear you, and very much agree. But for people like me who were drawn into this whole hobby world because of the various character sets, it's a bit upsetting (and it's WORSE when you have OCD :lol:). The duo of Aiko & Hiro is what actually attracted me into DAZ two years ago, back when my interest in anime was bigger. Specifically, A4 & H4 were the first characters I ever used where I then learned about their Gen 3 counterparts along with David and the rest.

So, basically, my petty pathos is, "they were my first ones". I'll get over it, definitely. Even I must come to terms, having Hitomi is much better than not having anything at all, right? ;)

Now, if only the SOMETHING along the same lines could be done for an up-to-date lean male alternative for M5...

edited December 1969

David 5 will arrive when we least expect it :-P

edited December 1969

Maybe because we're the target customers? You know, the people who are actually fueling this company's income? ;-P

Don't worry, I hear you, and very much agree. But for people like me who were drawn into this whole hobby world because of the various character sets, it's a bit upsetting (and it's WORSE when you have OCD :lol:). The duo of Aiko & Hiro is what actually attracted me into DAZ two years ago, back when my interest in anime was bigger. Specifically, A4 & H4 were the first characters I ever used where I then learned about their Gen 3 counterparts along with David and the rest.

So, basically, my petty pathos is, "they were my first ones". :) I'll get over it, definitely. Even I must come to terms, having Hitomi is much better than not having anything at all, right? ;) Now, if only the SOMETHING could be done for an up-to-date lean male alternative for M5...

I am not the "gotta catch em all" type, but I can see that is where you are coming from. That is why I was trying to liberate you from that mentality ;-) No point in waiting several months for something when you can get by without.

I'm not here for the name brands, personally. But if I was here for the character sets I think that is covered well. I've got so much diversity that I DON'T buy characters anymore because I've hit a saturation point. Anything new would have to bring so much to the table it is hard to fathom. I do understand the market for presets though, it saves time and that is a good reason to release them.

I'm not against D5 by any stretch, but I will pass on him like Hiro5. If A5 came out her face would have to be so unique that the "target audience" would probably pass because they think all anime looks the same anyway. A5 would have a niche following IMO. Frankly I feel that D5 is also an niche because for casual teen male renders you don't need him. For a lot of people that is all that is needed.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    David 5 will arrive when we least expect it :-P

EXACTLY

edited December 1969

I'm not against D5 by any stretch, but I will pass on him like Hiro5. If A5 came out her face would have to be so unique that the "target audience" would probably pass because they think all anime looks the same anyway. A5 would have a niche following IMO. Frankly I feel that D5 is also an niche because for casual teen male renders you don't need him. For a lot of people that is all that is needed.

Exactly! All the more reason to exploit them! :-)

Though, like I said and as I strongly argue in my petition, there IS an annoying gap in the male body range. David actually fits the description of a "Real World" male. I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one think Stephanie has done an acceptable job at providing a female teen role that Laura left behind. If only DAZ would let David do the same for the Luke gap. Basic Child and Face Young only does so much.

edited October 2012

Exactly! All the more reason to exploit them! :-)

Though, like I said and as I strongly argue in my petition, there IS an annoying gap in the male body range. David actually fits the description of a "Real World" male. I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one think Stephanie has done an acceptable job at providing a female teen role that Laura left behind. If only DAZ would let David do the same for the Luke gap. Basic Child and Face Young only does so much.

I disagree that David and Steph fill the Luke and Laura roll. David and Steph fill the older teen/ realistic young adult roll. NOT young teens 12-16. Although they can assist creating a L&L young teen age group... I do not consider them a substitute for luke an laura.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited October 2012

If there is ANY substitute for Luke and Laura, it IS Thorne's product which is in a lengthy drawn out release.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    cwichura said:

First off there is only one Generation 5 base figure, and that's Genesis, every other character DAZ makes for it is nothing more than a character morph and texture set, no different to any of the other sets that are available for every other figure though out the Poserverse.

The millennium man & woman range of figures were killed off when DAZ made Genesis, now they just use the names as a marketing ploy to pry money from the people that don't know any better, thinking their buying content for a new figure, when all their doing is buying content for Genesis.

Many people who "know better" regard M5, V5, etc. as "Base Figures" built from the same Genesis MESH, the same way that all of the Gen 4 "Base Figures were "morphs and textures" of the same mesh, the same way all of the Gen 3 "Base Figures" we're based on the first Unimesh, the same way that the first Stephanie Base Figure was based on the M2 mesh, and the same way the first Aiko and "Maiko" (male Aiko) were morphs of the first Stephanie.

Even with Gen 3 people would mix morphs and textures between "Base Figures"; Genesis has just made it much, much easier and more useful.

The only "marketing ploy" is having provided a method to buy one piece of clothing that fits numerous Base Figures.

I, for one, am grateful that I can now slap a police uniform or space suit on a toon troll... I couldn't put ANY modern or futuristic clothing on any of the other unique-mesh-trolls I'd purchased, severely limiting their use.

-- Walt Sterdan

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 905
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    If there is ANY substitute for Luke and Laura, it IS Thorne's product which is in a lengthy drawn out release.

I've been hearing Thorne has some product coming. What is it? Is there a thread about it somewhere?

edited October 2012

Here... It's been a discussion for a long time now...

She posted two pics on page 1

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/518/

She also had little hints on the product through the later pages.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited October 2012

MallenLane said that Hiro5 is what became of Hitomi's counterpart. Read into it as you like, but i think it closes the loop for me at least. Hitomi is very much Aiko5, at least until Daz tries to come out with another shape just to get more $$. Which I would not fault them for doing. Not saying they will, but hey they came out with S5.

Ahhh, that explains why H5 looks a lot like Hitomi's big brother. I immedietly saw the resemblance when I saw H5 for the first time. They look look a lot alike to me and this confirms, for me, that Hitomi is Aiko 5.

Post edited by Knight22179 on
    edited December 1969

considering both were made by the same artist... Yeah, it's safe to say Hitomi is Aiko.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Out of curiosity has any one looked at the promo pics for True Love product yet? as thinking of that and this thread when I saw those pics.

Don't forget that Hitomi is not a DAZ original so, I suspect we will see an Aiko 5 at some point with various DAZ purchasing options for her like Hiro 5 is getting.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Well I'm going to continue calling him Takashi... that way he stands on his own merits like Hitomi and avoids the endless comparisons to Hiro. He's a much different character than Hiro in look and statue and really could have moved into a different direction like Hitomi could. You'll probably enjoy the character more if you look at him that way rather than doing all the comparisons.

Those names really freed them from the shackles of the previous generation.