D|S 4.5 Crashes When Selecting a Node

I've had some trouble with DS 4.5, mainly to do with render settings (not being able to render out past 1920x1200) and an outdated version of Open GL. I've got most of those solved, but, now I've something else happening. Any time I try to select a node on a figure, D|S crashes unceremoniously. It doesn't what figure I use, Gen 3, Gen 4, even Genesis seems to have this problem. Might there be a problem in D|S 4.5 or is my machine too old to handle it? I'm running on a 1.86 Intel Dual Core with 2Gbs of RAM and an onboard video card with 256Mbs of memory.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

What's the OpenGL of your video card driver? Can you check how much of your 2GB of RAM is used before you launch DS?

• edited December 1969

If I remember right, it's the latest version.
    And according to my system stats, D|S Pushes something like 100-250K in ram when it launches.
    500K+ when a scene is fully loaded.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

0ldWulf said:
    If I remember right, it's the latest version.
    And according to my system stats, D|S Pushes something like 100-250K in ram when it launches.
    500K+ when a scene is fully loaded.

That should probably be MB...

The problem is, you only have 1.75 GB of RAM. 0.25 GB of RAM is automatically 'locked' away for video usage...that's the nature of 'on board' video. (between 256 and 768 MB is typical Windows usage)

So, if Windows is taking around half a gig and DS is using another half with loaded scene, there is about 3/4 of a gig available to use for other things...and things like smoothing, subdivision and all the other nice things all work in memory. With so little left and Windows tendency to shuffle things, other than itself, off to virtual memory when faced with low memory, it's a wonder you get that far.

See if there are any hints in the log file as to what is actually causing the crash.

Also, is it just DS crashing or does Windows go down, too? If it is a Windows crash, too, then there could be other problems, up to and including hardware related ones (one of the most common would be bad memory sticks, with hard drive errors being a close second and physical, as opposed to driver, video card problems).

• edited December 1969

Windows hasn't crashed when D|S dies, but I have noticed that it will stay on in the processes sometimes.
    I'll look at my log when I get to my render machine tonight.