Carrara models in games.

Hi everyone. I've been working with a group of friends on a VR game, which was published last Friday, and I was wondering how common it is for Carrara to be used for this.

Feedback on the models would also be appreciated. ;)

Comments

• wikitimewikitime Posts: 36

All the models were created in Carrara. The textures were created by baking Carrara shaders. I used Anything Goos (One of my favorite plugins), Terrain Tools Intersect, and Baker.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

Your modeling looks cool on the other I have no idea I have heard of people using Carrara with Unity, Holly Wetcircuit for one but no personal experience other than rendering some Unity content in Carrara.

The game we created was in Unity. :) Carrara exports models as FBX which imports traight into Unity. There is no need to

Holly's got some cool stuff in Carrara Cafe. Thank's for the compliment and for pointing her out. :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I agree with Wendy (Sad), your models look great! I'm really glad to see you using Carrara in this way.

There has always been some kind of strange taboo surrounding using Carrara as a modeler - a taboo that some of us here just don't put stock into, because the modelers are quite formidable. 

Kee dreaming in wireframes! I like how you represent those dreams on screen! :)

Pleasure to meet you, wikitime! I'd love to see more!

Dartanbeck

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Does look good along in Unity I'd add a bit more of a shiny effect though with their PBR editor...provided the platforms your game targets can handle PBR without making the HW stutter.

Thanks Dartanbeck. :) I'm not sure why it's taboo. Polys are polys no matter where they come from. I'm pretty sure a cube modeled in Carrara is looks the same as a cube from Renderman. Unity doesn't care. :P

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    wikitime said:

Thanks Dartanbeck. :) I'm not sure why it's taboo. Polys are polys no matter where they come from. I'm pretty sure a cube modeled in Carrara is looks the same as a cube from Renderman. Unity doesn't care. :P

I know, right? I completely agree!

...and with Carrara being so much more fun than anything else... well... it's just a no-brainer for me!!! :P

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Great work, I like the design of the space corridor in particular!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Congrats on the game!  The corrridor looks especially superb.  Are you allowed the share what the game title is?  I just barely picked up an Oculus, maybe I'll be able to play it  :)

Very cool to see Carrara being used for this, especially at the very beginning of VR coming into public use.

Thanks John and Phil. Most people are aware of Carrara's modeling tools but I don't think the rendering engine gets enough credit. The corridor is rendered without any lights. It's all done through GI and glow shaders. :) It gives it that subtle flourecent light feel.

I'm not sure what the conditions are for posting links on the forum but the name of the game is World VR Competition and it's being sold on Steam. We appreciate ANY support we can get. :)