Exporting Clothing Handles to FBX

BaazarBaazar Posts: 17

Hey guys,

When exporting a character with conforming skirt/dress clothing for V4 as FBX it seems that the handles (little white balls that control bones of the dress) weight mapping aren't crossing over to other programs (UE4 in this case.) I am merging them into the figure skeleton and the bones are there, they are just not mapping to the figure to control the dress, therefore the dress remains in it's starting position no matter how I animate the bone outside of Daz.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks!

Post edited by Baazar on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I'm not 100% positive but I think that feature is not part of the latest FBX exchange protocol. I'd like to hear a better knowlege than what I know from an expert though.

• BaazarBaazar Posts: 17

I'm not 100% positive but I think that feature is not part of the latest FBX exchange protocol. I'd like to hear a better knowlege than what I know from an expert though.

Thanks so much for the reply. To me that's a little confusing considering it's just weight mapped bones. Wouldn't the protocol still support it? Thanks for the feedback though! If anyone else knows I appreciate all input.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Baazar said:

Thanks so much for the reply. To me that's a little confusing considering it's just weight mapped bones. Wouldn't the protocol still support it? Thanks for the feedback though! If anyone else knows I appreciate all input.

Not 100% sure of the approach you took and I've read some of the advanced DAZ Studio model features such as this tri-ax or other sorts of special DAZ Studio weightmappings don't export to other programs via intermediant model exchange formats - however, I am not sure V4 is new enough to have used those special weightmapping features. 

And then there is these considerations: Did you fuse the clothing to the character on export to FBX? Those bones would disappear I think. Did you export the character and each clothing piece separately? The bones and weighmapping would still be there then I think but you will have to programmatically attach the clothing to V4 in your UE4 scripts. 

You can also compare the Weightmapping of the V4 character dress as you have dressed in DAZ Studio and exported FBX(es) you're using in UE4 in Blender 2.77a and see if the weightmapping was exported.

I hope though someone that has done this FBX export process many more times than me will chime in for you though.