The piston problem with dzfire models in Carrara

ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169
edited August 2016 in Carrara Discussion

So I accidentally discovered the reason adding point at modifiers to the bones for the pistons doesn't work right. 

The point at modifiers need to be added before the skeleton is attached to the mesh. I discovered this because I had gotten so far into trying to fix this problem I created my own character from scratch, with a very similar mechanical design. I added a point at modifier to a piston after I had attached the mesh and it produced the same results we see with models like cyborg model 4.

I have an idea for a workaround now that I know what the problem is. I'll tell you more when I have time to test it. 

Post edited by Scarecrow on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

So this issue is in DzFire's Cyborg model 4?

I know that his Poser-format vehicle's suspension dials work beautifully! I have FAV, Madness, and the Bug - and they all work amazingly... Steering, suspension, etc.,

I really hope you figure this out and report back. Cyborg would be really cool to add to the collection.

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169

Yes all the humanoid robotic figures I have tried from dzfire have this problem. Cyborg model 4, ASN model 4, weapon mech etc...

edited August 2016

Well I just tried a few of my ideas, but no luck. I thought maybe if I could change which bones were influencing the polygons for the pistons. I could add the point at modifiers, get the bones pointing at each other, then change the weights back to the way they were originally, and have a working piston. 

But no such luck, I wasn't able to change the weights in either Cyborg model 4 or Asn model 4.

That leaves only my earlier solution. For Cybor Model 4 I exported as an obj an built new rigging from the ground up with Cararra's bone tool. A very long and tedious process for that particular figure, but worth it in my opinion. 

ASN M4 was much easier to get working right. I detached the skeleton and deleted only the pistons bones and replaced them with new ones, and added the point at modifiers. Then reattach the skeleton to a saved obj. For some reason it didn't work right if I attached it back to same model I detached it from originally. 

edited August 2016

Cool. So you got them both working then? Even the one you've re-rigged (Cyborg model 4)?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Yes I did, and they work great once you fix the rigging. Here's a link to the test shot I did of Cyborg Model 4 with my new rigging.

Frackin' awesome!!!

edited August 2016

Thanks Dart.

I also have a short animation I did with ASN M4 that I'll post as soon as I get the sound finished. 

So I decided to share the rig that I built, in case any one wants to use this figure, this could save you some time.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/107066/carrara-rigging-for-cyborg-model-4

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Wow, thank you so much!

Scarecrow said:

So I decided to share the rig that I built, in case any one wants to use this figure, this could save you some time.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/107066/carrara-rigging-for-cyborg-model-4

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Thanks you now to go through the process to attach the rig

Scarecrow said:

Awesome Scarecrow! Thanks!!!