Carrara to Sketchfab (FBX and OBJ issues)

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited September 2016

Sweet. So maybe we can put up Daz figures and such? Hmmm

EDIT: But my plate as way too full right now to go considering something like that! ;)   I'm thinking future here.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Yep, you could (in theory), but i'm pretty sure it would violate your agreement with DAZ (or with any other content provider - to be absolutely certain read licence agreement) , you should not have copy of any purchased (or not) products outside of your home network, you are the safest if you upload only models which you created youself and are textured with your original textures...

Here is the link to terms of use:

https://sketchfab.com/terms#user-content

Excerpt:

" ...You are solely responsible for ensuring that any User Content you submit to the Services complies with any applicable laws and third party rights, including but not limited to any intellectual property rights, privacy rights and publicity rights..."

•  ... you should not have copy of any purchased (or not) products outside of your home network

So backing up to cloud based storage is not permissable?

cdordoni said:

... you should not have copy of any purchased (or not) products outside of your home network

Certainly not Microsoft's! I got as far (in their EULA) as "Microsoft maintains the right to copy, redistribute, and otherwise...." and I closed it and just haven't used it yet.

• I was thinking of private storage, where only you have access and maintain ownership of data. Paid for services might have an advantage here. Don't know about something free like Google Drive.

cdordoni said:

I was thinking of private storage, where only you have access and maintain ownership of data. Paid for services might have an advantage here. Don't know about something free like Google Drive.

Right. Drop Box is fine, as long as it's not a shared folder. Our Daz3d License agreement is pretty cool. We have the freedom to do whatever we want with our renders, profesionally, personally... whatever. But piracy will be prosecuted. We can't share the obj or texture maps or any of the actual files that come with the product.

There is a Renderosity "artist(?)" who took renders from one of Howie Farkes products using all of his default camerea setups and now sells them as backgrounds. While it's kind of rotten, low-down and dirty to do such a thing, it's perfectly within the rights.

• cdordoni said:

... you should not have copy of any purchased (or not) products outside of your home network

That's a different scenario there, I believe, but just to make sure, ask DAZ, i'm sure they will be more then happy to answer all your questions...

Sketchfab is not a backup service as far as I know, why would anyone want (even if it's permissable) to upload their DAZ purchased items over there anyways ? smiley

cdordoni said:

That's a different scenario there, I believe, but just to make sure, ask DAZ, i'm sure they will be more then happy to answer all your questions...

Sketchfab is not a backup service as far as I know

Right... we kinda switched gears there.

cdordoni said:

Sketchfab is not a backup service as far as I know, why would anyone want (even if it's permissable) to upload their DAZ purchased items over there anyways ? smiley

As animated 360 viewable fun scenes ;)

I've not even had time to look into really what Sketchfab is yet. I've been there when you guys send me a link to go there... signed up to download your (FifthElement) models, but have been daydreaming here about putting up animated 3D just as a sort of a VR experience, is all... I think I'm likely way out of the park in thinking like that - in relation with Sketchfab, though! ;)

• keithgkeithg Posts: 62
    edited September 2016

I've been playing with it a lot and I don't think there would be any issue uploading DAZ content. You cannot upload poseable figures only animations (fbx) and static objects (obj or fbx). You are NOT uploading or storing the product which you bought from DAZ. i.e. Fully rigged, morphable figures etc.

Even if you allowed downloads, the person downloading would only get a fixed object/animation not something they could change in DAZ.

As I see it, it's not a lot different to showing a rendered image which as you know you are even allowed to sell under DAZ's agreement.

I think to be safest, it would be best not to allow downloads from Sketchfab and always credit DAZ in the comments so people don't think you are trying to pass off a DAZ model as your own.

If you want to upload static objects I found it best to export from DAZ as obj making sure to collect maps under write surfaces. Zip up the .obj file,.mtl file and maps folder and upload the zip to Sketchfab. This will bring in all the materials.

You can embed materials with .fbx but I've had some strange object positioning with fbxs.

Post edited by keithg on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

You cannot upload poseable figures only animations (fbx) and static objects (obj or fbx). You are NOT uploading or storing the product which you bought from DAZ. i.e.

DAZ productions.inc  owns the model,.(you purchase a license to use it,.. with restrictions)

each part of the "product" is covered by the same license restrictions.

exporting it in any model format,. then uploading that to a site where it's possible for others to obtain that model would be a violation.

For example: All figures made before Genesis,. are supplied as a bunch of files including OBJ model files, with a CR2 file to load the complete Model, textures, rigging etc. into your chosen applications (Poser, Daz Studio )etc .

Even if you allowed downloads, the person downloading would only get a fixed object/animation not something they could change in DAZ.

In a 3D Modeling program,. such as Hexagon or Carrara,. the downloaded FBX or OBJ could be edited, exported, re-rigged etc... so that assumption isn't entirely correct

If you want to upload static objects I found it best to export from DAZ as obj making sure to collect maps under write surfaces. Zip up the .obj file,.mtl file and maps folder and upload the zip to Sketchfab. This will bring in all the materials.

this sounds like a direct transfer of (model and textures)  which (if someone else could access and download) would violate the EULA.

You should seriously contact Daz3D directly to check that what you're doing is allowed,..

Only Daz Productions inc,. have the ability to tell you whether what you're doing is legal, and allowable.

If there's any doubt,. ....leave it out.

Only upload your own models and assets (which you made from scratch)

Right. No worries from me... I'd never do such things! ;)

Never!

• keithg said:

You are NOT uploading or storing the product which you bought from DAZ. i.e. Fully rigged, morphable figures etc.

As I see it, it's not a lot different to showing a rendered image which as you know you are even allowed to sell under DAZ's agreement.

I suggest that you actually read your agreement with DAZ, they own every polygon on all the models, they only give you licence to use it ...

if someone phisically takes your computer away from you and sell it to someone else is not the same as someone taking a photo of your computer and selling it, think about it, lol smiley

3DAGE knows what he is talking about wink

• I suggest that you actually read your agreement with DAZ, they own every polygon on all the models, they only give you licence to use it ...

In fact, they also own the greyscale heightmap (depthmap, displacement map) representation of their products as well. It cannot be used to generate a 3d model that is used for any purpose other than producing a 2D image. And, technically you can't put the heightmap itself in an image that is publically available since that would be considered redistribution (it could allow the product to be reverse engineered).

3DAGE knows what he is talking about wink

Yes he does! 

cdordoni said:

I suggest that you actually read your agreement with DAZ, they own every polygon on all the models, they only give you licence to use it ...

In fact, they also own the greyscale heightmap (depthmap, displacement map) representation of their products as well. It cannot be used to generate a 3d model that is used for any purpose other than producing a 2D image. And, technically you can't put the heightmap itself in an image that is publically available since that would be considered redistribution (it could allow the product to be reverse engineered).

Right. That goes for any textures of any of their and our (PA's) products. We published artists are very protected through Daz3d. If we ever suspect something, we just contact them and they send out the team! angry Tear 'em up!

Yeah... believe when I say what I told 3DAGE earlier, I'd never Never upload copywrite - protected material like that. Wendy does these cool 360 degree VR things and that's waht I was thinking this is like. Yeah... I don't really have a use for sketchfab unless I want to show off models. But I want to show off animations - and I will... soon. Script is under way ;)