Exporting an .obj but with Morphs applied.

MiloMilo Posts: 511
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I tried all the 4 main boxes in multiple combinations and cannot get an obj to export with the morphs applied to the Geometry. It started as a poser object. In the main screen it has Area list and shows the morph list.

Clicking on that brings up the various slide bars/entry boxes. I adjust 2 of them and when it imports into Hex (just testing to make sure it worked). Comes in as the original Mesh. I export as .DAE and I bring that into DazStudio 4 with morph intact, I can export from there as a .obj of the applied morph and it exports with the mesh following the morph into Hex.

Is there a way of exporting from Carrara with the Morph applied without running it through DS?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Milo :)

The OBJ model format doesn't support multiple morph targets within a single object (OBJ file.

The normal way to do it is to export the Base Obj, and each Morph target as obj from your modelling program,. then load those as Morph targets for the base model in Poser or DS, then save that as a figure, prop, hair, ..etc.

Collada and some other 3D formats will support morph targets in the file as well as animation and textures,.
    these are newer 3D file formats and are built to transfer 3d data from different applications.

The OBJ format is simply a Model format, it supports shading domains and the basic material list, (MTL) but it doesn't support morph targets and the base geometry in a single file.

Using the Bridge to Hex from DS is different and will transfer morphs from the model into hex from DS.

but if you export a model as an OBJ from DS and open that in Hex, you'll have no morphs.

Hope that makes sense :)

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited November 2012

First Thank you for the reply 3DAGE.

I don't think I got across what was going on. I wasn't trying to export any morph that could be morphed in any other apps, but the shape that was showing on the screen in Carrara with the morphs applied as a .obj . I tried as an experiment exporting the model with the morph applied and it came across into DS with the morph applied (I didn't see if the morphs were there to modify more in DS as that wasn't my focus.) It came into DS in the shape adjusted by the morphs I applied in Carrara and the .obj I exported from DS, imported into hex (no Bridge) with the shape being what I saw on the screen in Carrara originally. However I cannot find how to simply export the model with the morph applied to the shape so that when I import the .obj into Hex I get the unmorphed shape.

Say the original model is a Circle, and there is a morph that flattens two of the sides to make it more an oval shape. If I export out of Carrara and import into Hex (or other applications) as a .obj it comes in as a circle. If I export to DS, it shows up in DS as a Circle with the sides flattened being the same shape that was in Carrara. I then export that from DS as a .obj and it will load into Hex with that morph applied to the Mesh showing me the Oval. What I am trying to do is export the Oval morphed circle into a .obj with that morph applied so that anything loading the .obj will bring in the Oval (yes no morph etc is there just a flat mesh object) instead of the circle which is all I can get Carrara to do now.

If I export a head that had a pointy ear morph applied I want the resulting object to simply be a head with pointy ears (no morph being exported just applied and the resulting shape being exported to the .obj). I hope that makes more sense. I didn't use bridge as I ultimately won't be taking it into Hex just trying to get the .obj right.

I appreciate and apologize that my writing isn't as clear.

Post edited by Milo on
    edited December 1969

Hi Milo :)

No problem it's a confusing thing to describe,.. I understand now,.. want you want is the deformed object, exported. not the original shape.

The option to "Export mesh with morphs and skinning" is actually a good example of how hard it can be to describe the process.

this option works on "figure"s, and allows you to export the Posed figure, in that current pose,. so , effectively the deformed mesh instead of the original.

The problem is,... that it only works for Figures,.. or objects with a modifier applied to them.

If you Add a bone or two,. to your Model, (which shouldn't effect any morphs) you should be able to adjust the Morphs to get the shape you want,. then export as OBJ,. using that (export with morphs and skinning) option.

The other option,.. you can export an object which has a Modifier applied to it, like a "Bend and Twist",. and that "deformed" object will be exported in that current shape,. plus, you don't need to add bones, and you don't need to have adjusted any settings on the modifier, as long as it's applied to the object. you should be good to go.
    You can dial in the morph you want,. and export as OBJ, using the option to export with morphs and skinning,

Quick pix :
    Here's a morphing candle, ...the original model, and the re-imported obj;'s of the exported morph states.
    hopefully you can see the modifier tab, which is set at 0.

Hope it helps ;)

export_modified.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 216K
    edited November 2012

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry about the delay real life reared and would not be denied.

That is what I thought it would be, I just tried it with that option selected and it didn't export it morphed. I checked the original file and it turns out it is a .pp2 . When you select the item from the instances It gives the name under the general tab, right under the general drop down (with the triangle, it is the next item down) and in that drop down it has the Area List. When I select the area list it brings up all the morphs. I adjust the morphs that come up from there. It shows on the screen as deformed into what I did with the sliders. As a side note if I go into the model room, it is available under the Morphs Tab (Area list again).

When I export that object even with "Export mesh with morphs and skinning" selected when I re-import the object it only comes in as the original object without the morphs to change its shape. Could it be because it is a .pp2? I deleted everything in the scene except the object and tried again to the same result. It is a free object I can PM you info about it.

Post edited by Milo on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Try exporting as .3DS - import to Hex and export as .obj - that will retain the morphed state, but of course there will no longer be any morphs for future use.

edited December 1969

Hi Milo,.

It's because it's a poser file, and,.. I'm assuming it's a prop, and therefore has no bones, ....but in Carrara ....it's still inherently protected.
    All poser files are protected.

have you tried applying a "modifier" to it in carrara, and exporting ?

RIGHTS :

Even if the original creator of the model doesn't know anything about the legal rights he has,.. He still owns the copyright.
    Even if the object is given to you (FREE) "without payment", you do not own the copyrights.

Formats:

I wouldn't go to 3DS,. It's not a good model format ( It triangulates all meshes ) and in many situations even Max users will use another option, simply to preserve the geometry.

As it's a prop, you should be able to open the original OBJ in Hexagon,. or Cararra,. then adjust that shape to create a morph target, then export as OBJ or Bridge to DS, and set that up as a new morph target in Poser or DS.

You could also use the EDIT / Smooth option in Carrara to break into the protection for that poser model,. this will make the object editable but can also break things.

Fenric has a more elegant solution which allows you to "Unlock" and "Lock" the objects protected status.

if you can post a link to the object you're using, then I can take a look at it later.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

3dAge
    I really appreciate the information. I have all of Fenrics tools, I will have to investigate as that may be all that needs to be done (You don't happen to remember which plugin it was in?). **I tested it and just applying it allowed the .obj to be exported with the morph of the mesh applies to the obj intact**

I was actually just originally taking the .obj into meshmixer and removing some verticies and then merging it with something I made for a render for a friend that wanted a joke image for his wife. You know how that simple little thing becomes.. well not the simple little thing. I wasn't trying to incorporate their mesh into any type of mesh for sale etc (Why I think you put the RIGHTS in your posting or just explaining why its locked?)

I did get it to work my exporting in .dae to DazStudio then exporting the object from there. I ended up using Carrara to put it all back together and did the silly render but I learned some things.

Thanks again for your information!

edited December 1969

HI Milo :)

Posing pack 3,. which has the Figure unlock, and restore options.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/posing-pack-3

If you open a Poser file, it'll be protected when you bring it into Carrara, just because it's a processed model,. and not a bare OBJ model which wouldn't have any protection, and should be completely editable in carrara.

Adding a deformer like bend and twist (even with no effect values) should allow Carrara to export the OBJ in it's morphed shape. (if it has no bones)

Anyway,.. I'm glad you got it exported, and the job done :) I know exactly how those "Simple" favours, can turn into a mountain of work.

:)

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

couldnt you just convert it to a primitive and it would retain its shape. i do this for displacement. not sure myself just asking

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Milo :)

Posing pack 3,. which has the Figure unlock, and restore options.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/posing-pack-3

If you open a Poser file, it'll be protected when you bring it into Carrara, just because it's a processed model,. and not a bare OBJ model which wouldn't have any protection, and should be completely editable in carrara.

Adding a deformer like bend and twist (even with no effect values) should allow Carrara to export the OBJ in it's morphed shape. (if it has no bones)

Anyway,.. I'm glad you got it exported, and the job done :) I know exactly how those "Simple" favours, can turn into a mountain of work.

:)

Yay I actually have that and the adding the deformer worked as stated.

Thank you for all your assistance.

• Hi - 

Just wanted to clarify simplest approach for getting an object out of Carrara 8.5 Pro with morphs applied for use in other programs (in my case, Element 3D - E3D)).

1) If I simply export a morphed object from C8.5 as an obj file (with skinning and morphs), I get the original un-morphed version of the object showing up in E3D.

2) I went ahead and attached a skeleton to the object to turn it into a figure, but the figure would still show up in E3D without the morphs applied (even though they show up in Carrara and you can see the morphed version).

3) As per notes in this thread, I then tried exporting from Carrara in .dae format which I imported into DAZ Studio. Once in DAZ Studio, I select the object, reapply desired morphs, and export as .obj.  And for whatever reason, Element 3D now brings in the object with the morphs baked in.  

Is #3 what I should use as my standard approach or is there a simpler way?

Note - i do have Fenric's plugins and did 'unlock' this figure in case that was part of the issue though i don't think i hit any popup warnings about needing to unlock to add morphs.

These were custom morphs that I made. Will Carrara's obj export capture standard morphs that are already built into a figure? Or would I need to make a circle through DAZ Studio for that as well (which could be problematic since shaders may get messed up)

Thanks for any suggestions.