Modo 601 or C4D R14 to render Daz and Poser models?

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

First I started using OmniOutliner and spent days writing settings down but it was difficult to read. Then I came across a fantastic software called "Tree".

http://www.topoftree.jp/en/tree/

It was just what I had been looking for.
    I love this software because it took 20 minutes to learn and its so useful and functional.

Tree, Horizontally expanding outliner.
    Tree is an outliner featuring a horizontally expandable tree view.

Tree assists you in organizing your information, sketching plans and brainstorming new ideas. Tree allows you to store your ideas and keywords in segments that you can sort, re-arrange and constantly refine. Tree is designed to be a lightweight application that lets you concentrate on your ideas.

I'd love to find something like this for Windows
  • scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck, have a look at this. Its PC based and free.

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

edited December 1969

Thank you very much! This looks very useful!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck, have a look at this. Its PC based and free.

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I don't know if you have seen FreePlane, its based on the Freemind Codeset but has an expanded feature set still free.

http://freeplane.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

edited December 1969

Awesome! I love new links! Check out what I'm doing with them! :coolhmm:

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck, how about making a list of Characters that have Carrara Shaders built for them. e.g. M4 Elite Sol, V4 Elite Lana etc.
    This will encourage new Carrara users to buy these items and also motivate more vendors to incorporate Carrara Shaders in their future releases.

edited December 1969

Good plan

• daz3d_9ff14f0c17daz3d_9ff14f0c17 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi, I do not read these forum as much as before, but stumbled across this thread and want to chime in:

@jorge
    You can bring poser / daz, a character in Cinema4D?
    Yes, directly, see below.

@dustrider:
    Yes, with Interposer Pro.. DAZ/Poser content very much like in Carrara, at least that is my understanding (haven’t used it in years), people that use it seem very happy with it. There is no Genesis support .... yet, I’ve read posts that indicate this is in development. The other option is to set up your character in DS/Carrara/Poser, export to .obj (no rigging so you must pose first), then import into C4D (or Modo, etc.)

I have used Carrara almost 5 years now. 9 months ago, I purchased Cinema 4D Studio. I use 3D modeling / animation for a non-profit project I am working on, but still I do not have oceans of time, so I gave up Carrara because of its time-line. I spent too much time making even simple animations. For the Original Poster: I saw no bad renderings from Carrara, on the contrary - Carrara was perfect for me, hadn't it been for the timeline and a few other things. Ok, I went for C4D.

To jorge and dustrider:
    I was first VERY disappointed with Cinema 4D regarding animation. I asked the Maxon (makers of C4D) sales people, I asked their support people. I asked in the C4D forums. I think I even asked here. And everyone tells me I must use Interposer Pro. I actually tried it, but it was not good friends with me, so I dropped it.

Then, as I started to know C4D better, and started to get some clues about what rigging and bones etc is (It worked out of the box in Carrara so I did not bother learning it:). Then I discovered a new application (new to me): Daz Studio. And it was free to boot! So I downloaded the app. I then I started to experiment and lo and behold:

You can import daz Genesis directly into C4D, animation, warts and all - it plays out of the box! Morphs included! Why didn't anyone tell me this, from the beginning? Add a couple of IK chains to the legs and arms, and the fantastic C-Motion in C4D also works! Slim characters, fat characters, adults, old, young - children, freaks - everything you make in Daz Studio can be played back directly in C4D.
    You just have to export to the FBX file format - that's all.
    I had a large library of characters, animals and creatures etc purchased from the DAZ Store - all in a sudden it all became available. Especially some cartoon characters I purchased to use in Carrara - I love them, they work like a charm in C4D, when I first load them in Daz Studio and then export them. Even textures for some clothes I tweaked in Carrara, look great in C4D after stopping by in Daz Studio.
    The best part - I am still a Daz Store Customer! :)

BTW: I have a new full licence for Modo 601 that I want to sell, if anyone is interested.. I am not using it at all.

-Ingvar

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited December 1969

ingvarai said:
    You can import daz Genesis directly into C4D, animation, warts and all - it plays out of the box! Morphs included! Why didn't anyone tell me this, from the beginning? Add a couple of IK chains to the legs and arms, and the fantastic C-Motion in C4D also works! Slim characters, fat characters, adults, old, young - children, freaks - everything you make in Daz Studio can be played back directly in C4D.
    You just have to export to the FBX file format - that's all.
    I had a large library of characters, animals and creatures etc purchased from the DAZ Store - all in a sudden it all became available. Especially some cartoon characters I purchased to use in Carrara - I love them, they work like a charm in C4D, when I first load them in Daz Studio and then export them. Even textures for some clothes I tweaked in Carrara, look great in C4D after stopping by in Daz Studio.
    The best part - I am still a Daz Store Customer! :)

This could open up a number of interesting possibilities. I have several questions I was hoping you(or anyone else) could answer.

1 - When you export the Genesis figure, do you have to pose it in Daz Studio or can you pose it in C4D?

2 - If you can pose Genesis in C4D, does that mean that you can animate the figure in C4D?

3 - You mentioned textures you had made, do the original textures for Daz objects import into C4D?

4 - Can you create and apply dynamic cloth and hair to Genesis in C4D?

5 - Can you get the same results using COLLADA or MDD?

6 - Can this be duplicated with other programs that import FBX?

• daz3d_9ff14f0c17daz3d_9ff14f0c17 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

> This could open up a number of interesting possibilities.
    Most certainly!

> 1 - When you export the Genesis figure, do you have to pose it in Daz Studio or can you pose it in C4D?
    I do not understand this question. In practice - what you see in Daz Studio is what you get in C4D

> 2 - If you can pose Genesis in C4D, does that mean that you can animate the figure in C4D?
    If the figure is already animated in Daz Studio, you can choose to export it animated or not. And the same on the other side, import the animation or just the T-pose.

> 3 - You mentioned textures you had made, do the original textures for Daz objects import into C4D?
    What you see in Daz Studio is what you get in C4D, the answer is Yes.

> 4 - Can you create and apply dynamic cloth and hair to Genesis in C4D?
    Of course

> 5 - Can you get the same results using COLLADA or MDD?
    No.

> 6 - Can this be duplicated with other programs that import FBX?
    I have absolutely no idea.

The trick (and to some extent secret) doing this, is to be aware of what you can do and not can do. And also to understand how Daz Studio exports morphs, baked or exported. And how to export only the morphs that have any meaning.
    What is feasible, is to export the figure including the bones rig. IK chains (if they exist) are not exported.
    But the fancy morphs where the the whole figure is resized, from child to adult tec. is not practicable because the bones are not morphed in C4D.

But for all normal uses, it works very well. You get a figure, rigged with bones, and with expression morphs(I use only these). Hand morphs etc you must make yourself in C4D, which is very fast and easy. This also applies to IK chains.

To sum it up - forget all you read about the complexity of using Daz Figures in C4D, about special tools and about renaming a whole bunch of skeleton parts etc. Daz Studio is a very good companion to C4D, and practically he whole Daz Store is open to C4D users. Because of Daz Studio.

If you have the Aniblocks or Motoblocks (I have them both), you can use these to animate in Daz Studio and export everything to C4D. But I have started to use Kinect and iPsoft and make my own animations. If you need regular walk of all kinds, you can use the C-Motion inside C4D, works very well witrh the imported Genesis charaters.

There are a number of minor snags, the eye textures of Genesis have to be tweaked to lok good - but his is peanuts.

I am NOT an expert in this field at all, just a hobbyist, but so far what I descibe here works very well for me.

-Ingvar

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited May 2013

deleted

Post edited by 0oseven on