Particle Clouds & more

I have been experimently heavily with particles & their shaders lately....have done rocket exhausts, fire & most recently animatable & reshapable clouds.

The clouds use a vertex object as their emitter, so it is possible to shape the clouds however you wish....I used a simple vertex "heart" shape to illustrate.

The keys to making the clouds are in the shader & the emitter settings.

My shader makes the particles start small, rotate & fade away over time....great for animating.

I am including several area renders with only 1-shader change just to show how wild it can change.smiley

Also my shader & particle settings.

Turbulence.jpg
460 x 340 - 21K
Brick.jpg
446 x 331 - 29K
Mandelbrot Set.jpg
447 x 337 - 23K
Planks.jpg
444 x 330 - 25K
Water Ripples.jpg
444 x 333 - 27K
Wood.jpg
444 x 337 - 23K

Comments

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

Here Are the Shader & Particle Settings.

Hope someone finds it useful....some of the shader settings work great for rockets and fire....experiment.laugh

Cloud Shader.jpg
    736 x 762 - 113K
    Basic.jpg
    708 x 523 - 93K
    Advanced.jpg
    700 x 526 - 71K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Very interresting, thanks a lot !

One thing, I don't know what is "Facing camera".

DUDU said:

Very interresting, thanks a lot !

One thing, I don't know what is "Facing camera".

I'm not sure of the technicals, but he particle, or its shader always face the rendering camera...even if the camera is animated.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

This is awesome! I love particles. Especially since they can tie into shaders so nicely in Carrara... this is really cool, McGuiver... Thanks a million!

• Nice, If you want I can host that simple scene on my GoogleDrive, or you can send me the shader presets and I'll make the example scene with the rocket or whatever, that is if you want to share your scene file smiley

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

thank you a lot McGuiver please keep on testing

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thanks McGuiver. These will help of course... just thinking about messing with particles again, it's been quite awhile, last night.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks McGuiver, that's very kind. Boy you have been a Carrara user for a long time.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

pretties!  thanksheart

• Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice! Thanks for laying this out so nicely - very easy to figure out how the shader is built.

Then we just need to play close atention to the emitter settings which, again, are laid before us very nicely.

I'm going to have a play with this very soon. It just looks fun - and I've been having all too much fun with particles lately! 

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

OK, if I understand well, the "Facing Camera" works with the shader only...

DUDU said:

OK, if I understand well, the "Facing Camera" works with the shader only...

Well, nothing will render in Carrara without a shader. 

"Facing Camera" is like a plane which is always perpendicular to the camera, no matter what the particles or the camera do. So if they look like they're not facing the camera, they will be when they're rendered.

So if the shader is just a solid red color, for example, we'll see red squares as particles.

How we often use this is to put an Alpha Mask in the alpha channel. McGuiver's cool shader example shows how he made this mask procedurally. I've always just made a mask image. I cannot wait to try this (his) method!

Against that he's added a multiplier to have the alpha channel fade out to zero (invisible) according to the life of the particle. Pretty cool!

• I just got back from a few days of vacation.....still have catch-up work to do, so here's a quick animatable fire/rocket exhaust. cheeky

Fire.jpg
    438 x 626 - 22K
    FireGlow.jpg
    692 x 674 - 123K
    Fire Particle Settings.jpg
    705 x 600 - 101K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Very cool!  I was just going to work on something like this.  Great timing.  Thank you.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2016

Finally had some time to play with this - super cool effect @McGuiver!

In the image below I left all your settings more or less the same except for editing the particle size to match my scene, removing the color and dropping a lightning sprite image into the glow channel and instead of using a heart shape I used a dummy human stand-in with a stone shader (which I normally use to size things when modeling things in a scene).

The lightning sprite image I used was generated in FilterForge (see attached).

LightningSprite.jpg
    600 x 600 - 88K
    MarbleManWithLightning.jpg
    640 x 480 - 67K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

McGuiver, Very cool... Thanks.

MDO, Really nice looking effect.

Just checked and FilterForge is 80% off, one day left.

edited September 2016

With the shader referenced above, particles hitting and sticking to an invisible plane..... changed the color gradient, used "water- ripples & set the emitter to 3 particles per second..........renders instantly & pretty cool when animated.

Ripple.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K
    Post edited by McGuiver on
    edited September 2016
    McGuiver said:

With the shader referenced above, particles hitting and sticking to an invisible plane..... changed the color gradient, used "water- ripples & set the emitter to 3 particles per second..........renders instantly & pretty cool when animated.

Wait. So you're using this shader, and using water - ripples as the shader for the gradient? EDIT: and change up the gradient a bit... Is that right?

Then knock the emitter down to 3/second, and then using the Advanced tab to cause them to stick?

This has many, Many possiblities for some really cool, fast, and fun vfx!

Thanks for these fun tips! 

...and it's just plain awesome to see you posting again, McGuiver! Rock On!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited September 2016

Or are you using Water Ripples as the Alpha driver?

• I'm using the Water Ripples in place of the turbulence. The shader setup uses the gradient to make the water ripples (or whatever I use) fade out on the edges. The water ripples are the pattern & the glow channel drives the color over the age of the particle.

You could also use the color channel instead of the glow channel, but for fire, you need the glow.smiley

Untitled.jpg
    728 x 756 - 100K
    edited September 2016
    McGuiver said:

I'm using the Water Ripples in place of the turbulence. The shader setup uses the gradient to make the water ripples (or whatever I use) fade out on the edges. The water ripples are the pattern & the glow channel drives the color over the age of the particle.

You could also use the color channel instead of the glow channel, but for fire, you need the glow.smiley

Fantastic! Thanks! Yeah... after my first question was posted... it hit me that the ripples would be alpha or perhaps even transparency for a different effect.

I really like using gradients in both Color and Glow, and when the Glow gradient hits black or really dark, the lights take over, hitting the Color channel - which can work really well for simulating smoke after fire. That's how I made this Dragon Fire

One of my self-imposed homework assignments coming up is the use of animated clips in the particles - Lighting and Fire and rocks and smoke. This is supposed to lead to a whole lot of particle use with animated particles, if it turns out right. The Carrara particle emitter is a really useful thing. I've just learned how to use it to make a 360 degree star field, but I still like my Stars better ;)  Also how to use it to make blood splatter - but I don't want that in my stuff... no gore. But the techniques will work good for throwing mud at the camera!

This thread is very refreshing - because you use an entirely different take on certain things that make this whole thing a lot more flexible... amazing how a little nudge can turn into a whole world of awe!