Can't Find Materials???

Howdy Everyone,

I just purchased (for the first time in a while) a V4 character, to use in Carrara 8.5 Pro, and am having a strange issue.  I can find the morph injections, but I cannot find any of the textures or materials (comes with custom skin tattoos, makeup, etc...).  I normally just use the Content tab (not Smart Content), but I spent two hours searchign for all fo the missing materials, and came up dry.  I then went and tried to load up the character usign DAZ Studio, and low-and-behold there is a "materials" folder listed in the Poser content, but it is not listed in Carrara?  Is this opition hidden somewhere else?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

BTW, the Character in quesiton is: http://www.daz3d.com/hailee-v4

Rich S.

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited August 2016

You should have two directories under the Content TAB named similar to My DAZ 3D Library Runtime and another called My DAZ 3D Library

all DS DUF content should be found in the 2nd location whilst POSER like content should be found in the 1st location.. which is where your hailee for V4 should be..

a bit confusing to start with but you will get the hang of it after a few goes yes

libraries.jpg
    456 x 518 - 42K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Rich, did you use DIM to install this?

If so, go to the Installed tab, find the product, right-click > "Show Installed Files"

In here, look for two things in particular:

1 - Textures folder name - we'll need to dig in that folder in the texture room in Carrara to apply tatoos, spec maps, bump, etc.,

2 - Pose folder name - this should look like /runtime/libraries/pose/<get this name> - this is where you look in your Content tab to find the Morph INJ

Hope this helps!

\Oh... and if you din't use DIM, just look in the downloaded zip file for the above info ;)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Yes, it is annoying but Carrara does not show the Materials folder. You have a couple of options:

- you can convert the Materials files to a Pose/Mat file with this utility:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/78986/mc6-to-pz2-batch-converter/p1

- or you can have a look at what texture maps etc are required, maybe by loading the Material file into DS or Poser, and manually setting that up as a Carrara shader, and then saving that in the Shaders library tab.  But the first option is probably the easiest.

PhilW said:

Good call, Phil!

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    PhilW said:

Yes, it is annoying but Carrara does not show the Materials folder. You have a couple of options:

- or you can have a look at what texture maps etc are required, maybe by loading the Material file into DS or Poser, and manually setting that up as a Carrara shader, and then saving that in the Shaders library tab.  But the first option is probably the easiest.

Hi Steeza, Dartanbeck, and PhilW,

Thanks for helping!  I know about the seperation of Poser "runtime" and Studio "content" in the Content folder, I just couldnt' see the folder called "materials" where all of the loader files for the textures are located.  This "materials" folder shows up under the Runtime in Studio, but is nowhere to be found in Carrara (8.5).

I had intiallly thought as Dartanebeck suggested, just going ahead and trying to load the texttures manually in the Textures tab, but when I tried to go into that mode, Carrara threw up a Null error and hung.  So I went into Studio, and crated a scene subset (made a .duf file) of the character, and then tried to load that in Carrara,  it seemed to work, but her hips were square!

So, just about an hour ago, I downloaded the tool that PhilW linked to, and tried my hand at that.  After some file moving and manipulation, I was able to copy the .pz2 files from the Materials folder, to the Pose folder, and they show up in Carrara.  I am about to fiddle with them, and see it works.  It looks like it should though....

Thanks again, I really appreciate.  BTW, PhilW I love your tutorials.  Thanks for making them!

Rich S.

LinkRS said:
    PhilW said:

Thanks again, I really appreciate.  BTW, PhilW I love your tutorials.  Thanks for making them!

Rich S.

Thanks for the kind words and glad to help on this issue too!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

no probs... all bases covered yes

LinkRS said:

I downloaded the tool that PhilW linked to, and tried my hand at that.  After some file moving and manipulation, I was able to copy the .pz2 files from the Materials folder, to the Pose folder, and they show up in Carrara.  I am about to fiddle with them, and see it works.  It looks like it should though....

Rich S.

Awesome!

Yeah, Carrara can't really do anything with those Material files, since they're not at all compatible with Carrara - so they made those folders hidden from our eyes in the Content tab. Some folks actually use the "Show Hidden" button in the file/folder menu to show all of those extra folders... so I tried it once and all I can say is... don't!

Anyways, I'm so grateful to EddyMI for making that awesom utility, even though I haven't needed it yet. It's so cool to have that thing! One day I'll go through all of my Poser content, and convert all of those material files into PZ2s, and plop them in appropriately named pose folders. I bet there's a lot of cool substances lurking about in those lost folders!

I hope the PZ2 files load nicely for you... please let us know! ;)

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    LinkRS said:

I downloaded the tool that PhilW linked to, and tried my hand at that.  After some file moving and manipulation, I was able to copy the .pz2 files from the Materials folder, to the Pose folder, and they show up in Carrara.  I am about to fiddle with them, and see it works.  It looks like it should though....

Rich S.

Awesome!

Yeah, Carrara can't really do anything with those Material files, since they're not at all compatible with Carrara - so they made those folders hidden from our eyes in the Content tab. Some folks actually use the "Show Hidden" button in the file/folder menu to show all of those extra folders... so I tried it once and all I can say is... don't!

Anyways, I'm so grateful to EddyMI for making that awesom utility, even though I haven't needed it yet. It's so cool to have that thing! One day I'll go through all of my Poser content, and convert all of those material files into PZ2s, and plop them in appropriately named pose folders. I bet there's a lot of cool substances lurking about in those lost folders!

I hope the PZ2 files load nicely for you... please let us know! ;)

It worked pretty well.  I have attached the render, whicih is using PhilW's awesome portrait studio (I use it all the time).  The only issue now is tweaking the shaders (however they don't look too bad) and figuring out how to fix her shoulder joints.  They look crimped with the closeness of this pose.  Thanks!

Rich S.

Harley-Quinn-V4.png
    1680 x 2100 - 1M

Yeah! Bravo!

Cool freaking character, Rich! Awesome!

Cool - glad that it helped you make progress!  And thanks for the kind words regarding the Carrara Portrait Studio too.

Carrara Portrait Studio does Rock! ;) 

...and it's so easy to use!