soft body crash and clothing a figure simply

Hi all.  Two separate problems I need help with.

First, I am trying to make a simple waving flag using soft body attach for the first time.  I can create the pole and the flag.  In motion I set physics.  Then under modifiers I add a soft body and then soft body attach.  I can select the points to attch, but the button never says confirm or whatever.  There is no way in the soft body attach window to confirm.  So I try clickng on a different object and bam, it crashes.  Is this a known issue or should I file a ticket?  Or am I just an idiot and am doing something wrong?  It certainly wouldn't be the first time. . .

Secondly, I asked this a long time ago but cannot find the post. I made some simple clothes for my Toon Gen characters and wish to attach them to the characters.  There was a simple way that worked fine without needing to go through Daz.  Though that might be better. . .?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Secondly, I asked this a long time ago but cannot find the post. I made some simple clothes for my Toon Gen characters and wish to attach them to the characters.  There was a simple way that worked fine without needing to go through Daz.  Though that might be better. . .?

I think you select your new clothing item first, then shift/select the character, then go Animation > Follow Skeleton or something very similar... Maybe Sad will drop in and confirm?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Just so happened that I was making a flag . . . wink

The buttons you need are in the top left corner. Add and Subtract will paint the vertices red (attached) and white (detached) respectively as you move the mouse over them. Click the Validate button once you're done.

Then run the sim to drape the flag. Mine just hangs from the pole (I only wanted a static flag - the kind you'd put in the corner of a room), but add a directional force and rerun the sim to get it billowing etc. You can vary the force over time to get different effects.

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 20.45.33.png
    1239 x 1080 - 250K
    Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 20.46.30.png
    1240 x 1077 - 232K
  • Thanks to you both!

TangoAlpha - I knew there was something I was missing/doing wrong, again! Got the flag working, basically.  Now off to play with settings.  I can see this going towards a sail on a ship... 

Dart - that sounds familiar; it will have to wait for tomorrow.  

• It's Attach Skeleton.  I made the mistake of clicking model under the figure, but needed to attach to the abdomen.

My first simple test produced alot of poke through when bending, and when "fixed" had quite a bulge in the elbow.  A little practice might do the trick for non-extreme bending motions.  I mainly need a few still shots at first, but would like to animate later.

Thanks, Dart.  

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

This thread on fixing poke through might help.  It starts with a vertex object attached to the skeleton of a posed figure.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29483/five-ways-to-fix-poke-through-without-using-conforming-figures/p1

• Thanks for the link.  That should be very helpful.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I love that thread! ;)

diomede said:

This thread on fixing poke through might help.  It starts with a vertex object attached to the skeleton of a posed figure.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29483/five-ways-to-fix-poke-through-without-using-conforming-figures/p1

Thanks for the link.  That should be very helpful.