DAZ duff files Verses Poser files

wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
edited August 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Ok... I'll admit it... I'm confused. I only install DAZ duf files... what about the Poser files? Do Poser files work better with Carrara?

I know that the shaders are different and have been not installing any fname PS or fname Poser CF files for Figures, Props, Scenes... etc, since I use Carrara and very occasionlly DS. I have an older version of Poser, not installed, and need to upgrade it but really see no point at this time since I so seldom even use DS.

Presently I use the latest version of Carrara 8.5 Pro and do have the latest DS 4.9 Beta Public Release. Also run Windoze since I do not own a MAC.

TIA,
John ~Wilson Graphic Design~

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

when given the option, i go with the poser version.  doesnt have the shadow bones, looks cleaner.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

Misty, are you speaking of bones shown in the Assembly room or in a final render?

[Edit: Scrath my Rather dumb question. Assembly room ObviouslY.]

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

Is it not true that the newer versions of Poser files are weightmapped differently than the older versions, and will not pose properly in Carrara?

How does one know if the Poser file that they are purchasing is the new or old version?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

This is duf and poser formats with the HW Big Cat... the Poser version makes him look a bit crook lol

• @Stezza I wonder if that's exactly what @de3an was referring to - thanks for the visual. DUF file wins - if it works.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

legacy Poser over duf, duf over WM Poser

Thanks ToeJam, that does explain a lot.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I have stopped using DUF files in Carrara, due to problems like things that are supposed to move don't (e.g. doors don't open).  I have a LOT of Poser format files that work seamlessly in Carrara.  I'm not sure about the newer Poser weight mapping question.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Misty's talking about rigging bones in the assemble room - select Actor, you'll see them all too much.

I use Fenric's Change Bone Visibility tool every single time, right away after bringing a Triax into the scene!

Steve K said:

I have stopped using DUF files in Carrara, due to problems like things that are supposed to move don't (e.g. doors don't open).  I have a LOT of Poser format files that work seamlessly in Carrara.  I'm not sure about the newer Poser weight mapping question.

I have even been avoiding buying the products that are DUF-only*** (no Poser version), because of the issues others have reported. Plus I like my Poser Runtime structure library I've put in place for organization of content. 

Poser 8 introduced Weight Mapping to their native figures that is not compatible with Carrara. I only have Poser 7, so I am not familiar with exactly what happens or doesn't happen. But that's why we have Poser <7 and Poser >8 selections in DIM for filters. I wasn't finding some of my new content, so I had to go in and enable the Poser >8 to see it - even though the products don't use those weight maps, that I'm aware of.

I'm thinking of buying a DUF-Only product because I think it's really cool. That way I'll be able to see how well it works in Carrara.

*** I already do buy some DUF-only products when they relate to Genesis, since Genesis is DUF-only as well... so what I said earlier does have this caveat! ;)

I hope that Daz3d gets this whole DUF thing working better in Carrara.

Just knowing that you (wgdjohn) have been ONLY using DUF is very refreshing to me. Some of my favorite Daz3d artists are starting to offer DUF-Only stuff.... and I've been avoiding them - except for Genesis-related stuff.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    Poser 8 introduced Weight Mapping to their native figures that is not compatible with Carrara. I only have Poser 7, so I am not familiar with exactly what happens or doesn't happen.

Take a look at the image of the Big Cat that Stezza posted (a few posts back). That's what happens in Carrara when you try to pose the newer format Poser files.

de3an said:
    Poser 8 introduced Weight Mapping to their native figures that is not compatible with Carrara. I only have Poser 7, so I am not familiar with exactly what happens or doesn't happen.

Take a look at the image of the Big Cat that Stezza posted (a few posts back). That's what happens in Carrara when you try to pose the newer format Poser files.

Oh, but that's a different issue. That's a DUF that's been converted to DSON for Poser, then bringing it in as a Poser object, which is known to not work and was warned against from the start back when all of this Triax stuff was being introduced to Carrara.

Kind of a bummer that I didn't do a better job cataloging all of the different posts from then... as I may have just progressed forward with the times, these issues are still very real - it would be nice to have a nice link to all of these things to know - but when I start looking for them, they're actually fairly scattered about into many different posts!

I did try... and here were the results of that:

► Genesis - Carrara 8.5 - DIM Support Thread Links
    Got questions about Genesis use in Carrara, DIM use for installing?
    This page lists links to threads that have answered many questions to common problems

Misty's talking about rigging bones in the assemble room - select Actor, you'll see them all too much.

I use Fenric's Change Bone Visibility tool every single time, right away after bringing a Triax into the scene!

Steve K said:

I have even been avoiding buying the products that are DUF-only*** (no Poser version), because of the issues others have reported. Plus I like my Poser Runtime structure library I've put in place for organization of content. 

Poser 8 introduced Weight Mapping to their native figures that is not compatible with Carrara. I only have Poser 7, so I am not familiar with exactly what happens or doesn't happen. But that's why we have Poser <7 and Poser >8 selections in DIM for filters. I wasn't finding some of my new content, so I had to go in and enable the Poser >8 to see it - even though the products don't use those weight maps, that I'm aware of.

I'm thinking of buying a DUF-Only product because I think it's really cool. That way I'll be able to see how well it works in Carrara.

*** I already do buy some DUF-only products when they relate to Genesis, since Genesis is DUF-only as well... so what I said earlier does have this caveat! ;)

I hope that Daz3d gets this whole DUF thing working better in Carrara.

Just knowing that you (wgdjohn) have been ONLY using DUF is very refreshing to me. Some of my favorite Daz3d artists are starting to offer DUF-Only stuff.... and I've been avoiding them - except for Genesis-related stuff.

Now Dart... don't be rushing off and grabbing "DUF-Only stuff" on my account... I've not actually used much in my scenes. However I do notice that any figure loads into and renders in Carrara 8.5 Pro without a plastic look... which I suppose is from Poser shaders. It appears to me that DUF needs less if any Shader tweaking to make them look better in Carrara... just my opinion... I've never used a figure in a scene, yet. I'll have to load a figure in DUF and take a nude render... I usually throw clothing on them right away and don't notice the shader changes for various body shading areas.

Latest version of Poser I have is 6, not installed... so knew nothing about weight painting until I ran across a video while finally taking the time to learn Studio last Fall/Winter... haha... over that now and buckling down with Carrara better to learn more about it now.

Thanks for mentioning about doors not opening... that might be a deal breaker for those cases... but then I could just re-model those parts to actually work... but then why?... I've spent money on that content which should work properly in Carrara for both Poser and DUF files.

de3an said:

Oh, but that's a different issue. That's a DUF that's been converted to DSON for Poser, then bringing it in as a Poser object, which is known to not work and was warned against from the start back when all of this Triax stuff was being introduced to Carrara.

No it's not a Dson file for Poser, it is a native Poser file from the just released HW big cat.. Nowhere did I say it was a duf file converted.. 

No it's not a Dson file for Poser, it is a native Poser file from the just released HW big cat.. Nowhere did I say it was a duf file converted.. 

Sorry for my confusion. I thought that Big Cat 2 was only available as Triax, which needs DSON to be run in Poser. I do apologize!

So... THAT is what Poser's weight mapping looks like in Carrara, eh? Yuck!

wgdjohn said:

Now Dart... don't be rushing off and grabbing "DUF-Only stuff" on my account... I've not actually used much in my scenes. However I do notice that any figure loads into and renders in Carrara 8.5 Pro without a plastic look... which I suppose is from Poser shaders. It appears to me that DUF needs less if any Shader tweaking to make them look better in Carrara... just my opinion... I've never used a figure in a scene, yet. I'll have to load a figure in DUF and take a nude render... I usually throw clothing on them right away and don't notice the shader changes for various body shading areas.

No worries! I've already been considering this a lot. There are some really nice new things coming out that I'd like to use, if I can.

I'd never blame you! ;)

The difference, I think, in the plastic look becoming less and less of an issue is how the initial materials are set up compared to how they used to be, and that the DUF conversion has a more optimized work out.

Still, we need to tweak the shaders if we want to make the most of our products. I'll be publishing some new tutorials soon regarding this. It would be a shame to never make use of hours and hours of the artist's hard work by NOT loading their specular maps into Highlight, and sometimes the bump doesn't come loaded either. But you're right.. they do look pretty decent out-of-the-box!

I love working with the DUF figures already. It's the scenery props and figures that I've been staying away from. I have (I think) all of the official Genesis and Genesis 2 M&F shapes, like Gianni, Michael, Aiko, Girl, etc.,  I just haven't found enough support content to make the full transition with my main characters yet... but I'm always looking.

wgdjohn said:

Thanks for mentioning about doors not opening... that might be a deal breaker for those cases... but then I could just re-model those parts to actually work... but then why?... I've spent money on that content which should work properly in Carrara for both Poser and DUF files.

Maybe... sometimes. Yeah... it's a pain that these dials don't work, but on some of them we can just select the door and rotate it open. If that doesn't work... yeah... game-changer... contact support for a refund!

That's the big savior for me. Britney is always happy to credit my account if I decide that I can't use something. Heck, I doubt she even needs an exceuse except that: "I want a refund". I don't know because... well, you know me... I babble about everything! So she gets a detailed explanation why I need a refund! But she's always very sweet about it.

So even if I'm not ready to use it, I always like to load in my new purchases ASAP. If something doesn't work, I need to know. Besides... it's always fun to see it in 3d!

The Marcoor FG ship doesn't work properly as far as dials are concerned - so I have to set the rotations for all of the landing gear parts by hand, for example. And that's the Poser version... I haven't tried the DUF. Hmmm... maybe I should! Anyways, I haven't considered that an issue. The model is beautiful and I enjoy animating with manual rotations anyways... no big deal. 

Stezza said:

This is duf and poser formats with the HW Big Cat... the Poser version makes him look a bit crook lol

Oh... HiveWire Big Cat! Gotcha! LOL

• It could be fixed prob with Fenrics WM converting utility

some do get fixed some don't.. trial and error most times. frown

Moral of the story:

If CR2 doesn't work, try DUF

If DUF doesn't work, try CR2

If neither work, go into their native software and try re-saving it back into the library after dialing some morphs up and down.

If it's a Poser Weight Map issue, use Fenric's cool utility

==========================================

I recall having issues like that with older figures. I think it might have been Michael 2 or 1? Can't remember.

Also with Solo for Victoria 1