Morphs composed of more than one morph

SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi
Is it possible to create a morph in Daz studio 4.5 that is made up of two or more morphs?

for example:
say I had created a morph for closing a cartoon characters eyelid but when transitioning between the default shape and the closed morph the eyelid intersected the eye is it possible to create a morph for when the eye is half closed (that fixes the intersection) and then another for when it is fully closed and essentially use those two morphs as keyframes for one full morph?
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

Morphs change the geometry shape from one vertex position to another,.. and that transition is always in a straight line.

You can use a type of ERC or JCM (joint correction morph) to reshape the geometry,. but it's better to model and create morph targets which work correctly, .. or, look at other ways of deforming the mesh which don't use straight line (point to point) changes.

Multiple morphs can be combined using an ERC type of control to have one control, which activates several morph shapes.
    an example would be the "Facial expressions" , where the mouth , cheeks, eyes, brow etc are controlled by the "happy" "Morph-form"
    (a Mixture of geometry Morph,.. and position transform)

Hope it helps :)

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

I've been looking into the ERC stuff you mentioned and I was wondering
    How would I create a controller that does something like this in Daz studio 4?

When main controller equals 25%
    Dial morph 1 to 100%
    When controller is equal to 50%
    dial morph 1 back to 0% and morph 2 up to 100%
    When controller is equal to 75%
    dial morph 2 back to 0% and dial morph 3 to 100%
    etc.

In other words how would I create a controller that goes through a series of morphs dialling the previous morph out as it dials in the next?
    I have seen an example which i think does something like this but I've no clue how to do it myself

any help would be appreciated
    thanks

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

Yes, you can create an ERC chain that will do just that...

So, if you have four morphs that each represent a quarter increase to the last morph, like in your example of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, then what you need to have is each morph controlling the values of the next morph in the negative just as you described.

The way you do this is by adding each morph as a sub-component of the preceding morph and give it a scalar value of -1.00. And you repeat this for each morph.

Below is an example of what I mean...

CTRLMorph

Sub-Components
             ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph1 (Scalar value 1.00)
                   Sub-Components
                    ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph2  (Scalar value -1.00)
                         Sub-Components
                          ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph3  (Scalar value -1.00)
                               Sub-Components
                                ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph4  (Scalar value -1.00)

ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph2 (Scalar value 1.00)
                  Sub-Components
                   ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph3  (Scalar value -1.00)
                        Sub-Components

ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph3 (Scalar value 1.00)
                  Sub-Components

ERC[DeltaAdd]:PBMMorph4 (Scalar value 1.00)

The Control morph has four sub-components, one for each morph with a scalar value of 1.00

Each morph has a sub-component for the next morph, and that has a sub-component for the next, and each has a scalar value of -1.00

What this does is, as the Control morph is dialed up, the first sub-component dials up to 1 and at the same time dials each of it's sub-components to -1... When it reaches 1 then the second sub-component of the Controller dials and does the same and so on, until all the controllers sub-components are at 1...

Now to create the ERC chain, open the Property Editor and select your figure... In the Grouping/Settings pane, select the group where you want your controller to appear and Right-Click and select Create Property... Give it an internal name and label name, then set the attributes and check the box...Create Empty Morph... and click Create...

Then in the Hierarchy pane find your new morph and expand it... then find your morphs in the Grouping/Settings pane and Drag-n-Drop into the Sub-Components section of your controller morph... then following the example above, drag and drop each morph to the sub-components of each morph as needed and in the Link Attributes pane at the bottom set the scalar value to -1.00 for the morphs that need it...

Find your controller morph in the Parameters pane and test it to make sure it works... if everything works as it should, then set the slider to zero and save your morphs.
    File > Save As > Support Assets > Morph Assets...and check only your new morphs...

I hope that wasn't too confusing to follow... :)