New to DAZ...need some help

Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

So I just started installing everything and think I might have done quite a bit of this wrong.

I installed the following for MAC OSx:

Daz3D 4 -> Upgraded to 4.5 Pro, Installed GoZ, Decimator and Adobe Bridge
Bryce 7
Hexagon
Genesis Starter

After doing this, I jumped the gun and grabbed all the free content for Daz and Bryce I could get here and started trying to install that. Needless to say I think I have things installed wrong. None of the free content shows up in DAZ, only Genesis and I now have a bunch of Bryce folders including Bryce 5 for some reason in my apps directory but can't seem to load any of that content either. All of my DAZ content also is in my local documents folder, which I would rather they be on an external drive.

Needless, to say I feel really stupid right now for jumping the gun. Sorry.

So, I first would like to know the best route to clean up everything and uninstall so I can start fresh in the recommended order of things.

Thanks.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Can you post screen shots of your content folders?

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Does this help or do you need a screenshot from within DAZ itself?

Daz-Docs.jpg
    800 x 521 - 137K
    Daz-Apps.jpg
    800 x 521 - 99K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,189
    edited December 1969

Where are you looking for the content? Most freebies don't have metadata and so won't appear in the Smart Content pane, but they should appear in the Content Library pane under the appropriate ... Formats heading.

Bryce keeps its content in sub-folders of the application folder (which is bad practice but it's an older application) and it sounds as if the path is hard coded to, or at least defaults to, an older version of the application. You should be able to move the files from their location under bryce 5 to the equivalent location under Bryce 7 and have them work, as I recall.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

THe simplest thing for me to tell you to do as regards the Bryce content is to download this PDF, which Horo has put together.

http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf

In which he explains just how all the various files that you got with your Bryce download should be filed.

edited December 1969

Thank you to all for the replies. So I decided to start over so that I can do this right and have been reading through as much documentation as I could find.

So I removed all apps and started over. Currently I have installed only DAZ (latest ver) with a custom install so that "My Library" is now on the hdd that I want it to reside on (I only use my main system drive for apps since it is the smallest drive in my array). I have so far only installed the Genesis starter essentials 1.6 and the adobe bridge plugin.

I have purchased the Michael/Victoria bundle but there seems to be several sets of file for both win and mac for all the individual packs. For example: I see a downloads for poser/legacy/dson.

Can anyone shed some light on what files I should be downloading and installing for this bundle pack.

Thanks again.

btw - I noticed a lot of searches of people not knowing how to completely uninstall these applications. I can provide that specific information in a different post if needed.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2012

WHere you have the DSON/Legacy/Companion files, they are used in this manner

DSON Core files are for DS4.5 and are also used by Poser
    Legacy files are for DS version 4 or lower
    Poser companion files are for Poser

So if you are using DS 4.5 you will only need the DSON core files.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the info. So, I think I have everything installed correctly now. I only used the DSON files for my installation and was able to install all my library files to my secondary drive. So far as I can tell things are working correctly. So I am hesitant to install any freebies at this point.

A few things I noticed in experimenting with everything after this clean installation:

1. The Content Library (which I believe is for legacy content) shows two different "My Library" entries. One that I created on my secondary drive (set for all of the genesis installation content) and a default folder pointing to my local user documents folder (which actually doesn't even exist)
    2. After installing everything I noticed that the female genitalia doesn't show up in the Smart Content area but it shows up in the Content Library. Oddly the male shows in both. (I tried uninstalling the female file and reinstalling to ensure I did it correctly but no change)
    3. When I try to apply either of these elements to the models they are grey and do not inherit the texture of the V or M models. I have tried adding the genitalia to the base model prior to setting the V5 or M5 and still no change.

Any ideas?

Thanks.