Saving props to to the Daz 3d studio librarys

Cool BlueCool Blue Posts: 38
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello:
My question tonight is rather simple, but I can't figure it out. I have created an obj prop that I want to save in the Daz 3d Studio library. Myu question is: How do I save the prop I have created to the Daz 3d Studio library so that I can use it fore later use. ?

Thanks again
Michael :coolsmirk:

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Save As in the File Menu, Support Asset> Figure/Prop Asset. Just that easy.

Hope this helps.

• Cool BlueCool Blue Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Thanks alott bro I new it was simple

Thanks again
    Cool Blue :-)

• FelixFFDSFelixFFDS Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Have been wracking my brain and scouring for this - obviously too simple a solution! No secret spells or incantations needed!

(Belated) thanks!

• artoirartoir Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Save As in the File Menu, Support Asset> Figure/Prop Asset. Just that easy.

Hope this helps.

I have been wondering this myself, thanks for this. My only question is, how do you get to it again if you want to place it back into another scene?

• Worth mentioning that props created in Daz Studio only show up in Daz Studio format - they will save under the Poser format libraries but they won't show up in the directory, no even in Studio. Weird? You don't have to tell me.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I have to say that I haven't saved a prop that way before. In the Content Libray Tab hit the plus sign at the bottom, choose Scene Subset, choose the prop and save it to the library.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2016

When you save as Figure/Prop Asset, it saves the geometry to the Data folder, and gives you the option to create a folder for it. (For example, you would use this when creating a product for sale). It also gives you the option to save it as a Smart Prop.

When you save as Scene Subset, it saves the geometry in 'auto_adapted' with no other options.

mac

Post edited by maclean on
  • oh my gosh thank you haha i spent like 20 minutes tryiing to figure out out how to save this flashlight prop haha

• maclean said:

When you save as Figure/Prop Asset, it saves the geometry to the Data folder, and gives you the option to create a folder for it. (For example, you would use this when creating a product for sale). It also gives you the option to save it as a Smart Prop.

When you save as Scene Subset, it saves the geometry in 'auto_adapted' with no other options.

mac

Ack!

I wish I knew all this before I set up a whole buncha props for a prodect I'm developing. I saved them as Scene Subsets. Now I gotta go redo them ALL!

And here I thought I was almost finished. *sigh*

Thanks! At least I discovered it before I submitted the product.

• I have just been trying to do this, I can get it to work with a single prop but when I try to save a group of props to load together it wont work. It ends up only saving the last thing I selected in the content window.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

No, you're doing it right — but saving as a Figure/Prop Asset can only be done one object at a time. Saving multiple objects can only be done as a scene or scene subset — and for maximum robustness, the objects in the scene should already have been saved as Figure/Prop Assets as detailed upthread.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

As SpottedKitty says, you should save each item first as a Figure/Prop Asset. That creates an entry in the data folder for each individual item. Then save them all as a Scene Subset.

When you save a Scene Subset, it saves everything in the scene (except cameras, lights, etc) as one file. The reason for saving Assets first is that all morph, geometry and UV mapping information will be saved in data. If you don't do that, DS creates a data folder in Auto_Adapted, which isn't really the ideal way to do it. And the saved file will be larger than it needs to be because morph info is included in the .duf rather than in the data folder.

• I have some products currently out, but I always used the Poser to DS route.

I am now working on a new product that I am going directly to DS first, Poser will be after.

This thread has been very helpful understanding the data folder part and I just want to get things as correct as possible.

What if I want to have some lights and cameras along with my scene.

Do I need to save each light and camera as a preset first?

Then add them to a new scene complete with all the props.

Is this final scene to send to PASS saved as a scene or one of the scene subsets?

• What if I want to have some lights and cameras along with my scene.

Do I need to save each light and camera as a preset first?

No, you don't need to do that — lights and cameras are already built-in functions of DAZ|Studio, so when you save a scene (or a scene subset where you've left the lights and cameras selected) their settings, which is all that's needed, will be included in the save.

As an example, many of the environments sold in the DAZ store are saved as complete scenes, including lights and cameras.

• Thanks for the info!