Issues with weight map tools

I'm learning how to do weight mapping with the curent toolset, but I am running into numerous issues.

Currently, I am adding extra bones to the Wyrm World product, such that each of the mouth flaps move independently. However, I run into the following issues:

- Weight Maps sometimes change when I move to the next bone, behavior is inconsistent

- Regions of the weight map become occasionally unresponsive when I paint -- the values cannot be removed or added, and the smooth/attenuate/fill functions have no effect. Deleting and re-adding the weight map makes symptoms worse, as an ever growing region becomes unresponsive.

- Saving and reloading DAZ results in the complete corruption of my weight maps -- they have moved to other parts of the body

What am I doing wrong here? Or is there an known issue with the weight map tool?

Comments

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2016

Also, when I copy then paste the weight maps to another bone -- I'm using the same gradient then editing -- the original bone's weight map gets corrupted.

edit: Hmm... I'm noticing that a original bone's map disappears if I apply a fresh gradient into the duplicate bone's map. Does DAZ not like multiple maps on the same area (ie. painting in the same location on multiple bones?)

Post edited by mtl1 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,975
    edited September 2016

Weight maps are normalised (by default) - the total weight (per axis if using TriAx) on any given vertex must add up to 1. That doesn't explain all your issues, but may account for some of them.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Actually, that *does* explain why my weight maps were being 'lost'. Thank you! Would this be across all maps for a particular bone then, regardless of function?

I have a feeling that the lack of responsivness may be due to a weird interplay between copy/pasting maps and trying to paint an area -- that is, something gets corrupted and the painter doesn't know what to do with the vertex. Hm. Surprisingly enough, using the Fill function doesn't allow me to fill with zero weight. Is there a way to directly edit a vertex's value?

I suppose I'll have to take a look at my workflow too, perhaps separating each maw into its own region first... Thanks for the insight :)

• In TriAx it's all maps for an axis of a transform - all maps for x rotation say. With General Weightmapping, as in Genesis 3, there is only one map.