Extrude along normal/axis?

WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
edited September 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all..

So, I'm really hitting wall after wall after wall with Carrara's modeler, and it's getting discouraging. I've never had so much trouble trying to create anything in a modeler before lol.

I'm finding it impossible to do simple extrusions that just move along one axis, or a surface normal. I don't want the extrusion to scale or move around. I just want it to extrude out in a straight line. Is there no way to do this? Or, at the very least do an extrusion "in place", and then use the transform gizmo to move it?

I can't seem to find a tutorial or any mention of any such tool anywhere. It's a standard function in every 3D modeling program I've used, so there *has* to be a way to do it.

Post edited by WsCG on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Hold control while extruding to go in a straight line.  Hold shift while extruding to extrude within the same plane (extrude within current polygon).

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
    edited September 2016
    diomede said:

Hold control while extruding to go in a straight line.  Hold shift while extruding to extrude within the same plane (extrude within current polygon).

Hmm.. I've tried that, and it doesn't seem to work. It goes all wonky. Let me try again.

Post edited by WsCG on
  • WsCGWsCG Posts: 391

Okay now it seems to be okay. It kept making the lines go all over the place when I've tried it before. I couldn't get them straight. No idea what was going on.

Thank ya!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Glad it is working now. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Awesome! Mitovo's extruding in Carrara! You'll get hooked... you'll see! ;)

Don't forget to have a look at the panels to the right for options like "Link Polygons" and the various modes of extrusion. 

There are a lot of fun and helpful modeling tools within the vertex modeler. It's easy for me to take them for granted because I am pretty used to how a lot of it works - and I've decided upon Carrara as my one-stop-shop for 3D, so I've gone ahead and invested in the Infinitie Skills Carrara courses s well as Mike Moir (mmoir)'s tutorials, which really help to show examples of what to do and when, sort of thing.

I mean, I already had a grasp of box modeling (extruding from a cube), and what many of the various common tools are for and such... but those courses and tutorials really help to drive some good concepts home.

And then there's the Spline modeler, which is a whole new art in its own! I never use it yet - just popped in for a visit once in a while. I just always make models using box modeling - and I've never not been able to make what I was envisioning. Like I say in many other threads, I certainly don't claim to be a Pro modeler, but I certainly have been able to make what I need - and fairly quickly - get them UV Mapped and textured, and save them, use them, etc., It all makes me very happy! ;)