Can LIE-baker be useful with Carrara?

Hello

Daz Studio features LIE, Layered Image Editor, that overlays textures and allows, for instance, to add dirt or wounds to the textures of characters. The products that use LIE can not be used with Carrara. However, these days in fastgrab there is a product called LIE Baker, http://www.daz3d.com/lie-baker , that could be useful for Carrara users. According to the product page,

"With LIE Baker the temporary images that DS4 has created from the layers are saved to a permanent location of your choice and then saved as Material Presets to a location of your choice. Only the surface elements that have LIE will be copied over to the location of your choice, all other texture files remain in their original locations."

Has anybody tried this product? The resulting textures, can be used in Carrara?

Regards

Ramón

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I haven't tried that product (well, I don't really use Daz Studio that way much), but LIE image maps can be used to great effect in Carrara, especially in Carrara 8.5!

In previous version of Carrara, we'd have to multiply or add the various layers together - or, like you say, try that Baker to pre-assmeble to maps together for use in the color channel - which sounds like it might be a very nice workflow too. 

In Carrara 8.5, however, we now have PhotoShop-style layers in almost all of the shader channels. So we could simly load in the various maps from the folders within the runtime!

This allows for a LOT more control by having individual opacity sliders and Blend Modes: Normal, Multiply (for image layers with white backgrounds - white is the invisible part of that layer), Add (Black becomes the invisible part of the layer) or Subtract.

This is really powerful in Carrara because, in addition to image maps, we can add any of the features within the drop-down Shader features as one of the layers - again, with it's own opacity slider and blend mode.

Still... I can imagine that the LIE Baker could make for an excellent option for making the whole process take advantage of Daz Studio's powerful LIE, making the whole shader process as simple as dropping in an already optimized map.

Thanks for the idea!

• Thank you for your help, Dartanbeck!

Ramon