Daz Studio 4.9 Props and Poser 2014+

Hello and sorry to bother.

I was trying to figure out something about the latest trend about the props being released since genesis 3 has been launched.
I can understand why anything genesis 3 related is daz studio 4.9 only, with the whole new weight mapped figures, clothing and hair makes sense but, what about the props?

I was checking around all day and vehicles, structures and all, every single one of them is daz studio 4.9 only.

Can someone explain to me if that is a new direction from daz3d? No more poser content?
Or is a sort of timed exclusive they required from artists ... or what the hell else is going on?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It's up to the PA's -- some don't have Poser, or they may not be able to afford the time to create Poser-optimized materials when it doesn't lead to many extra sales.

• It's up to the PA's -- some don't have Poser, or they may not be able to afford the time to create Poser-optimized materials when it doesn't lead to many extra sales.

It is hard to belive they do not own poser: most of them already produced the props for both daz and poser alike :(

• As far as I know, there's no realistic reason why non-rigged, standard quad mesh, products like this can't be duplicated for Poser. I am sure that some PA's will sigh/complain and I'm not saying that it won't take them extra work. I, as a Poser user, am saying I am willing to pay for that "extra work." As far as I know, and I've never made anything exclusively for DS nor do I use it, the only issue is sitting down in Poser's material room and duplicating or, at least, getting a good approximation of the textures and materials used for the product in DS.

At the very least, a simple texture/bump/displacement set of nodes would, as well as a standard obj export of course, give Posers the opportunity to purchase such products. I'm very sure DAZ would be totally fine with PA's producing "less detailed truncated material" versions of their props/scenerie items for Poser. (If it makes Poser look bad, it seems to make them happy... :) )

There have been a lot of scenery/prop products I would have loved to purchase for Poser and that I don't have the time to make for myself. (I suck at creating textures.) But, they're DS only and I'm not paying to have to play with DS and re-texture/mat work and export, if it's even easily feasible, in order to get it into Poser. I'm perfectly willing to pay for someone else to have done that for me.

But, this complaint has been aired before and it seems many PAs are fine with ignoring other possible markets. (Unless it's DAZ that's limiting them, that is. Not saying it is, just saying it's perfectly reasonable that DAZ might prefer not to support Poser very vigorously, despite how DAZ made its bones providing Poser content.)

Daz3D doesn't allow products that don't meet their quality standards, so a substandard Poser version wouldn't pass QA.  Daz3D makes its money off content -- they will happily sell Poser-optimized products when a PA chooses to do them.

• Daz3D doesn't allow products that don't meet their quality standards, so a substandard Poser version wouldn't pass QA.  Daz3D makes its money off content -- they will happily sell Poser-optimized products when a PA chooses to do them.

There are plenty of DAZ products that I've purchased that have nothing more than a texture map, often substituting textures where actual geometry would have been a better choice. If those meet DAZ standards, there shouldn't be any issues doing the same for a Poser version of a formerly DS-only product. Of course, the product released for DS would have much better mat work, comparatively, unless the artist took the time to use Poser's mats appropriately. If both DS and Poser versions must be of equal quality in regards to materials, I can understand why DAZ wouldn't "allow" such a Poserized release if it didn't reach equitable quality.

But, it's just about getting more content available, that's all. For me, I don't care if I need to take the time to create reasonable shaders for a product. I often am not satisfied with most of the material/texture/shader work, anyway. (It all depends on the artist as there are some that work some remarkable magic and always have high-quality work.)

I suppose it's just up to the artists, themselves, barring any other information. Poser content is shrinking and that is not because of the capabilities or quality of the application. If they're doing work for DS and producing products, the amount of time spent on porting such products does not seem prohibitive to me.

• It sucks to see what route Daz is taken to be the number 1 3d service. I use Daz frequently but i dont like seeing this rise of creators not make poser compatiable files. i did hear that artist are getting paid not to make poser files, if this is true, this is a pure scummy move and doesnt do anything positive for 3d artists as a whole. 

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

Today being payday, a whole bunch of the new stuff would have flown into my cart, if only I could use it in anything else besides Daz Studio. Alas it is not to be. A couple of weeks ago I bought a beautiful set from a favorite artist who has always supported Poser but now seems to be another of those heading towards Daz-Only Land. This particular set and props are perfect for my needs but try as I may they look god-awful when I import them. For proper materials and lights to go with that set I am indeed willing to pay extra, maybe if they see enough demand to justify the extra work they might think about doing an add-on? One can only hope, though I fear it may be in vain. Right now to be honest I am wondering why I still bother coming to shop. Aside from the older stuff and what was acquired via the RDNA merger, there is very little here of any use to Poser folk. Only one new item in the entire PA Sale that is meant for Poser, and even that is Poser 11 Superfly/Cycles only. This week's PC offerings were also Studio-only, which gives me little hope the upcoming PC sale won't be a repeat of the "All DS (iRay) All The Time" show. 

The one bright light, I guess, is all the money this trend is saving me. But I'm sure Daz isn't worried, they've tons of new Studio recruits to make up for lack of sales to Poser (and Carrara or Bryce, etc.) users and it's a company's place to make profit after all. Such is the way of the world. 

It sucks to see what route Daz is taken to be the number 1 3d service. I use Daz frequently but i dont like seeing this rise of creators not make poser compatiable files. i did hear that artist are getting paid not to make poser files, if this is true, this is a pure scummy move and doesnt do anything positive for 3d artists as a whole. 

Daz3D does not pay vendors not to support Poser, and is perfectly willing to take content from those who choose to do so. Indeed, most Platinum Club releases do have Poser files as well as DS (with the obvious exception of Genesis 3 content). PAs can choose what to support; in doing so they have to weigh the time taken against the return, their familiarity with the application(s) and render engines, and what they feel most or least comfortable with - as you will see in the store, different vendors strike a different balance in their output.