Problem exporting G3 Female animation to Unity3d

Hi everyone!

I allways have exported G2 figure or before to unity, now i try to export an animated figure using G3female, but when import it in Unity the animation looks afull.

Someone know how fix it?

I added some pictures.

thanks!

1.jpg
928 x 1035 - 431K
2.jpg
928 x 1035 - 446K
3.jpg
928 x 1035 - 370K

Comments

• Put it clearly - you cannot use Genesis 3 in Unity.

Gen 3 has a bone setup that is not supported with Unity. I believe there was a workaround for this by switching from "Humanoid" to "Generic" animation and setting the Hip as the root bone. You will lose several features but that should get the rig working.

Oh right - in case you are curious - Gen 3 has 2x the bones in the thighs and arms than most figures use. That's why "Humanoid" animation is not recognized by Unity.

Tell me if this works or not. I might look into solutions.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,777
    edited September 2016

"Oh right - in case you are curious - Gen 3 has 2x the bones in the thighs and arms than most figures use. That's why "Humanoid" animation is not recognized by Unity."

This is also why the aniMate2 aniblock system of Daz studio does not work with G3,

Also I have verfied reports that the rig is broken when used in Motionbuilder requiring tedious manual work arounds.
    The G3 rig requires a manual bone mapping, after import , to work with Reallusion Iclone.

Oh and genesis 3 animation data exported from Iclone is not usable in Daz studio nor anywhere else AFAIK unlike its predecessors.frown

All things considered ,you are better served using the genesis 2 or even G1 for Character animation.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Well, actually my problem is not exporting a Gen3 model and then put an animation in Unity, in fact, that works well, initially the model was exported weird, but then i Checked the option 'SubD info' and it worked well, the problem is export an animated model with Gen3 sad.

In the picture a Gen3 model with an animation of Gen2 exported to fbx.

I guess that i would have to do the animations using Gen 2, inside Daz and then use it on Gen 3 inside Unity indecision

Thanks!

1.jpg
    662 x 495 - 125K
  • zaz777zaz777 Posts: 115

I export models and animations from DS for use in blender and a few other programs.  FBX has never worked well for me for blender and I'm unsure as to whether the problem is blender or DS.

I have exported a lot of BVH for use in blender and other programs.  BVH export and import in DS is broken, especially for Genesis 3.  Bone orientations aren't exported correctly for any of the programs I've tried.  It also appears that bone orientation isn't honored on import, leading to corrupted animations on import.

I've written some basic BVH import and export scripts for DS and as long as I use those, I get good results.  Its possible that FBX suffers from the same bugs as that kindof floating/falling pose of Genesis 3 female is similar to what I've seen in my BVH testing.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,777
    edited September 2016

"I guess that i would have to do the animations using Gen 2, inside Daz and then use it on Gen 3 inside Unity
    Thanks!"

I understand that people have their preferences regarding models
    personally I see no advantage to using G3 in unity then as it offers nothing over the genesis 2 female.

In fact the MCS female over at DAZ Game content sister site "Morph3D", is actually genesis2cool

I really do dont understand the reason for G3's nonstandard rig.
    Of course the  Daz marketing assertion is that the new rigging makes G3 more"Compatible with other industry standard programs"
    Well so far this assertion seems rather gratuitous, to state it charitably,.
    when it comes to animation G3 is  literally Less compatible with Autodesk Unity, Newtek, and Reallusion Iclone.

" BVH export and import in DS is broken,"

Well the BVH Import in DS is more "discriminating" compared to poser for example.
    However  I can  import a figure skelelton into Iclone 3dXchange
    from any previous generation from M2/V2 all the way up the line to Genesis 2.
    I can retarget Iclone motion to it with one click.
    and have that motion be accepted in Daz studio or poser
    as long as I use the matching figue whose skeleton I used in Iclone

..Except Genesis 3 who actually rejects her own custom Iclone created files BVH files back in Daz studio.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • LimbaLimba Posts: 53
    edited September 2016

I have played with Unity and Gen3 but usually used unity asset store animations or IK solver.

I'm now trying to do c# script in unity that will transfer limb rotation to right place in Gen3 but I haven't got enough time.

Edit:

With Gen2 I have done some animations with DS but Gen3 I only used animations from my unity library.

Post edited by Limba on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

Well if the FBX and luikewise then Unity ever support this quarterion mapping or what that is then it should make a big difference. However, Unity already supports the blendshapes (morphs) and bones, although for extra bones not applicable yet to Unity's humanoid model you will have to adjust and animate yourself. Example the bones to move the eyes - you'll need a SW animation package or manual create the animations yourself.

I wrote a post back in March or April I think in the DAZ Studio 5 wishlist for a desire to have the aniMate2 or DAZ Animation Timeline completely rewritten UI wise to function like a visual playwrite's script writing tool that would be exportable as FBX animation files, sound files, playwrite's script, and a dson / json / xml 3rd party program readable program that would that the playwrite's script and associate files and animate the show in that 3rd party program.

Put for what the OP wants they are right, do the animation in DS with Genesis 2 characters & export as FBX to Unity but instead export the G3 characters to Unity and configure them as humanoid avatars in Unity 5. 

• zaz777zaz777 Posts: 115
    wolf359 said:

" BVH export and import in DS is broken,"

Well the BVH Import in DS is more "discriminating" compared to poser for example.
    However  I can  import a figure skelelton into Iclone 3dXchange
    from any previous generation from M2/V2 all the way up the line to Genesis 2.
    I can retarget Iclone motion to it with one click.
    and have that motion be accepted in Daz studio or poser
    as long as I use the matching figue whose skeleton I used in Iclone

..Except Genesis 3 who actually rejects her own custom Iclone created files BVH files back in Daz studio.

I also, have much better success with Genesis 2.  In fact, Genesis 2 isn't too bad to work with, but I still run into problems with getting good results from retargetting  animations in multiple programs when I import the results into DS.

Genesis 3 just flat out doesn't work.  Any DS builtin import of BVH animation tends to produce uselss results, regardless of how much effort you put into matching bones and cleaning prior to importing.

I noticed that all my Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 skeltons are bad in the 3 programs I tend to use for manipulating BVH files. If you export a basic T-Pose from either and bring that BVH into your BVH program of your choice, you should see problems with the skeletons.  I normally use blender, DanceForms and BVHacker.  Compare the skeleton in your program against the skeleton in DS and note the differences.

The easiest to see differences are the pectoral bones as they'll normally point off in some semi-random direction.  With Geneis 3, you'll also see a lot of issues with the facial bones and feet bones.  However, not all of the differences are easy to see visually.

When DS exports BVH, it ignores the rotation order.  This is easy to see if you examine the BVH file and compare the bone rotation orders in the BVH file against the bone rotation orders in DS.  Just switch to the Joint Editor Tool and compare them.  The BVH files are simple ASCII text files and the rotation order is there in human readable form.

I initially thought I could solve my BVH issues by getting a good BVH T-Pose into one of my other programs so I could use that for retargetting animations.  It was rather trivial to write a BVH exporter in DS Script and I was finally able to get a good skeleton with the all bones correctly oriented in my other programs.  I thought I'd fixed all my BVH problems until I tried to import retargeted animations back into DS.  Even with a good T-Pose to use for retargetting, I was still either getting garbage, Genesis 3, or less than optimal results, Genesis 2.

Eventually, I wrote my own basic BVH import script for DS, which honored the rotation order specified in the BVH file and it resolved nearly all my issues with importing retargetted animations. So, I believe there is something fundamentally wrong with at least the BVH export and almost certainly with the import.  While the affect is greater with Genesis 3, it does also affect Genesis 2.

I apologize to OP for sort of hijacking the thread with all this BVH discussion.  However, your attached 3.jpg in the original post looks very similar to some of the bad poses I've seen Genesis 3 take when importing and exporting BVH files.

I haven't looked at the FBX file specification, but I would be very surprised if it also didn't include rotation order for the bones.  If DS is also ignoring the rotation order when it exports to FBX, that could be causing what you are seeing when trying to export to unity via FBX.  It might also explain why Genesis 2 works better than Genesis 3.