A comparison between Carrara, Maya and 3ds Max by Software Insider

rubidiumrubidium Posts: 27
edited September 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Hello,
Software Insider (http://www.softwareinsider.com/) is a web that makes comparisons between different software of the same category using automatic methods. As a curiosity this is the comparison between 3dsmax, Maya and Carrara Pro. I think that it is not very accurate, but at least it is rather funny....

http://animation.softwareinsider.com/compare/1-3-23/Maya-vs-3Ds-Max-vs-Carrara-Pro

Post edited by rubidium on

Comments

• Oh, looks like Carrara does not have raytracing ;)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Just shows we what we know already - Carrara delivers most of what the "big boys" can. At a fraction of the price.

• PhilW said:

Just shows we what we know already - Carrara delivers most of what the "big boys" can. At a fraction of the price.

Yeah, but people definitely prefer the "big boys" for some reason. And I'm not sure which is making up more of the difference in price, "name cachet" or "seller admits it exists."

It's partly the syndrome that I have seen for decades, which back in the eighties was termed "no-one got sacked for buying IBM" (where are IBM in computing now?!). But the lack of visible development of Carrara would definitely be held against it, even of a handful of plugins have (to my mind at least) rejuvenated Carrara and will keep it going for some years to come.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

At least someone aggressively uploaded Carrara screen shots...but yeah, what totally ridiculous and uninformative comparison charts bordering on disinfo...(and I have no experience whatsoever with Max or Maya)

• PhilW said:

Well, maybe you should do your own (in depth) comparison, Phil smiley

PhilW said:

Well, maybe you should do your own (in depth) comparison, Phil smiley

I'm not familiar enough with Maya or 3ds Max to do that justice, and I have enough to work on already!

• Without question Carrara has all the features you need and should be able to compete with the big boys, the one problem that rules them all in my case is the .car files, it makes Carrara useless, I don't know how you do it but I can't sit for 5 minutes waiting for a file to load or save (and yes you do need to save them often in case C crash, usually every 10 minutes or so, I would spend half my time waiting for Carrara to finish loading or saving).

• How long a .car file takes to save or load varies wildly for me, it seems more related to how my computer is feeling about the drive I am saving or loading from.

Any rigged duf content is sluggish as big and if Poser content it is related to where the runtimes are and textures in particular, often on multiple drives.

Saving everything internally you can put it all in one place but that can result in a very big file and Carrara hates those too esp if over 2GB

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

My iMac can spend a good 5 minutes contemplating which hard drive to spin up, yet alone the time it takes for the imp to find the crank handle and get the treadwheel going. 7 or 8 minutes can pass before it writes a single byte of data! (this happens with any app, it isn't restricted to Carrara)

The machine is fitted with one of those godawful "green/eco" drives. They truly are an abomination unto Nuggan, and really shouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, changing it requires ungluing the screen and prising the back off. (truly awful design and should be an abomination if it isn't)