DAZ to Surface Painter -- Texture Sets?

I am trying to re-texture the default Genesis 2 male and female characters.

Each character has basic texture catergories of Eyes, Head (the face), In Mouth, Lashes, Limbs, and Torso.  This corresponds with the various UV maps (I think...still learning).

Problem is when I export to Surface Painter, I either get one texture ("Default Texture"), or twenty plus (subsets of the five listed above).  Exporting back to DAZ is even worse!  And even if I am succesful the final product (20 plus maps x 4k res plus specular, bump etc...) will choke my system.

Is there a way to export to SP just the six groups, paint them up, then re-export them from SP to DAZ (i.e. six 4k maps + variations)?  This seems the simplest way of doing it, but I cannot figure out how.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by bexley_ef3f70e572 on

Comments

• Do you mean Substance Painter? I've not heard of an applciation called Surface Painter. If you do mean Substance Painter 2, it doesn't yet fully support UDIMs (having diffrent maps using the full UV square, differentiated by being offset along the u axis). In any event, you can simplify the issue by using the Geometry Editor tool to select al the Surfaces using the same map (on the same UDIM square) by clicking the + next to their name in the Tool Settings pane, then using the right-click Geometry Assignment>Create Surface from Selection command to make them into a single named surface but you can't reduce the number of surfaces below the number of maps.

• bexley_ef3f70e572bexley_ef3f70e572 Posts: 43
    edited September 2016

Thank you very much Richard!  Yes, I meant Substance Painter.  I'm using v 1.5.2.7

This is a very helpful place to start!

I did what you suggested and everything appears in Substance Painter according to the Surfaces I selected! (see image 1).

However, BEFORE I exported I tested the surfaces by reloading the default maps in DAZ, and there were some problems (see image 2).Can you explain what the "tearing" on the shoulder is?  All the UVs (base female) were unchanged. Also why are the pupils white?

And thanks again for your help -- very very educational!

Image removed for nudity.  Please see this thread for info:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity

ReSurfacingSP.jpg
    1407 x 900 - 80K
    ReSurfacing.jpg
    1354 x 968 - 122K
    Post edited by bexley_ef3f70e572 on
  • It looks as if the wrong map is being applied there - are you sure you didn't merge the Shoulder surface with the torso instead of the rest of the arm?

• You're right -- somehow I attached shoulder to Torso.

Because of screwups I've actually done the whole proceedure about five times now.  A good learning experience (I guess)!

I've reduced the mesh to the maps I need to work with.  We'l see what happens next.

Thanks again for your help -- I would never have gotten this far without it.

ReSurfacingSP-02.jpg
    1025 x 937 - 66K