Can't get "Starry Sky" to work.

I just bought the Starry Sky", and I seem to have run into a brick wall trying to get it to work. Every time I try to add it to a scene, the stars appear for about a second then vanish, and they don't show up in renders. When I start by opening the Starry Sky scene first then add a terrain, the terrain as well as anything else I add, doesn't show in the render.

I tried following the tutorial to the letter (even using the same terrian scene as is used in the tutorial), but it still doesn't work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited September 2016

Hmmm...

Starry Sky is incredibly simple to use - just drag the correct file into the scene and it works.

Some things to keep in mind:

Scene Magnitude makes a difference to which file to use!

- If dragging into a current scene, click on "Scene" in the right panel, then go to the "Interface" tab at the top. Check to see which Magnitude the scene is.

- If it's a Medium Magnitude, use one of the two for Medium Scenes

- If it's a Large Magnitude, use one of the two for Large Scenes

- Note that the two that have the words written in them are only included for organization purposes and shouldn't really be loaded.

It must also be noted that, in the Render Room, Object Accuracy will dictate how many stars are shown in the render. The lower the number, the more of the distant, tiny stars will be rendered.

See the difference between Object Accuracy of 2 (left) and an Object Accuracy of 0.5 (right)

SS_ScnMag.jpg
    1367 x 733 - 560K
    SS_ObjAcc.jpg
    1367 x 729 - 541K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • OK, I figured out what is wrong. It loads way off center and I have to manually reposition it to make it work, but once I've done that everything else about it works the way it's supposed to

• I might add that, now that I'm starting to get it figured out, I really like it. I'm glad I bought it, it will make night scenes a lot more believable.

edited September 2016

Hmmm... there are elements that are not centered purposely, because they're hidden below our feet in a black shroud. Those are the Stars models which get replicated carefully across the outer invisible globes.

The globes themselves should come in centered if you simply drag them into the instances tray (right panel) instead of droppinig it into the scene window.

If the system is off-center, it got saved after being moved, which could be fixed by renstalling the product ;)

Yes, I love using Stary Sky! 

Thank you, wheatpenny!!!

• OK, dragging it onto the instances tray solved the problem. Looks like I was just doing it wrong.

But there is one more problem that comes up when I use it with your EnviroKit.

The first render is the "Basic Day" scene (sky modified by me to turn it into a night scene) without the Starry Sky: 

And the second one is with the Starry Sky.  

As you can see, the river and some of the trees are like a photographic negative.  Is there something I'm doing wrong here? (btw, everything is at the default out-of-the-box settings except for the sky, and it also does that with the default sky settings.

EnviroKit1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 449K
    StarrySky.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 123K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I can replicate that problem and would like to know also how to correct it...

edited September 2016

Go into Starry Sky

Under "Stars" > Open up both "Pattern Stars" and "Earth-Like Constellations"

Look for the ones with a drop down arrow

Open All of them 

"Constellation Highlight" is a bulb light that isn't needed. Select one of them, the Shift-Select the rest of them (as shown in the image) and hit Delete!

SS_DeleteLight.jpg
    663 x 726 - 240K
  • That did the trick. Thanks. Glad it was something that turned out to be easy to fix.

I love Starry Sky as it is, but it's also very powerful to try things with, like expanding one or more of the Invisible Space globes (Scaling up universally) to create movements or even just other looks.