On accessing content in Carrara

DAZ FAQ notes: "Products updated to Daz Connect will not function with Carrara or the DSON Importer for Poser due to an inability to interface with Daz Connect web services . . . Products that are available in zip format or through Daz Install Manager will remain available.

Does this mean that any items I install via a double click inside of DAZ studio will not be visible /accessible in Carrara?

If so, is there a workaround?

I do most of my work in Carrara and am trying to figure out best way to organize content - was hoping i could categorize everything in DAZ Studio (putting all automobiles together, all castel environments, monsters, people etc) - but I have not looked into doing that for a couple of years.

So, now I'm curious 1) If I did categorize everything, would that be visible and usable inside of Carrara?

2) What happens to all of the installed with DAZ connect?

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

Comments

• Found this too: 

What happens to my Bryce and Carrara content?

Products created for Bryce and/or Carrara can still be purchased through the website and installed through Daz Install Manager. Bryce maintains the ability to use Daz Studio content through the Bryce bridge. Carrara cannot currently consume encrypted files installed using Daz Connect. Your options for Carrara are to either export FBX or OBJs out of Daz Studio or use unencrypted versions of your content downloaded and installed through Daz Install Manager.

So does that mean I should still intall everything with DIM if I need access inside of Carrara?  (Is there any problem having a full set installed by DIM and also simply double click if looking at inside of DAZ Studio?  I'm wondering if I've accidentally installed stuff with DAZ Connect already.  Because there's been plenty of content that had a question mark on top of it that I need to rdouble click to load - and I'm not sure why that is, because I thought I've used DIM for all of my products.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Mosk :)

Does this mean that any items I install via a double click inside of DAZ studio will not be visible /accessible in Carrara?

yes. Carrara cannot access encoded content via Studio's Daz Connect system.

If so, is there a workaround?

Install the product using DIM (daz install manager)

As far as installing and organising content is concerned,. I think that it's already pretty organised,. depending on whether you're using Smart content which almost organises itself,. or older content,. which uses the Poser style folder sructure,.  You can also use DIM to Install / uninstall content you're using regularly, or not.. generally, Managing your installed content.

you don't need to download and install everything, ..then get lost trying to find stuff in a sea of content.  smarter to Install what you need to use.

You can use DIM to filter search products. so you can easily find similar content that way,. and see whether it's installed or not.

So does that mean I should still intall everything with DIM if I need access inside of Carrara?

Yes,.

If you've installed anything using Connect in Daz studio,. as far as I can see,. When you purchase content it's also available in Dim.

I'm wondering if I've accidentally installed stuff with DAZ Connect already.

There should be an option when you open Daz Studio,. to enable daz connect,. it may be worth while not enabling it if you're not sure of that.

there's been plenty of content that had a question mark on top of it that I need to rdouble click to load - and I'm not sure why that is, because I thought I've used DIM for all of my products.

Depending on the product,. you should be able to tell whether it was made and released before daz Connect was available,. If so,. then it's not that.

Hope it helps

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited September 2016

Mosk,  I've not even cranked up Studio 4.9 for quite a few months... but when I was using it more often here is what I would do in order to not use DAZ Connect.

I would Startup DS... Once it pops up it's requester to login I *always* chose to Work Offline... thus there is no way to get to DAZ Connect files unless you later choose to "Login" to go Online with DAZ3D. I *always* install everything via DIM.

As far as Encrypted files *Only*... these should show as DAZ Connect and not show Install Manager or Manual Install see included pic which lists all three. See pic... DIM "Install Manager" I've highlighted with a green box. Note I'm using "Bar Italia" as an example pic for all three download modes.

If you find a file which only lists "DAZ Connect" as the Install Type then you will have to connect with DS. I was lucky, ha ha, enough to grab the first 2 encrypted free, files,... in 4-5 months I will finally be able to install those via DIM.

From many discussions I had with DAZ Support they gave me an impression that not all files are downloaded via Connect... and that DS 4.9 only downloads the files needed by DS... so if there are other files such as Poser and PoserCF, content files, those would not get downloaded should you wish to use the Poser and PoserCF in Carrara instead of the DAZ Studio files.  If I am misinformed Someone Please Correct Me so I can edit/delete anything I've said which is wrong.

DAZ_Install_Types.png
    524 x 286 - 24K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • Thanks 3dage and wgdjohn for taking the time to explain all of that. Have backed off animation for a while just waiting for DAZ to update Carrara and make workflow more seamless between Studio and Carrara - but not sure that update will ever happen so want to learn how things work at this point and see if there's a manageable way to get the best out of both applications. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Thanks 3dage and wgdjohn for taking the time to explain all of that. Have backed off animation for a while just waiting for DAZ to update Carrara and make workflow more seamless between Studio and Carrara - but not sure that update will ever happen so want to learn how things work at this point and see if there's a manageable way to get the best out of both applications. 

Sweet! It's fun experimenting with new ways to go back and forth. I started to - but then went back to just using DS as a plugin again. 

• I have been away from Carrara for about 2 years. Machine has crashed in the meantime so my experience now is a new clean install using the "Daz Install Manager" for everything. I have accepted default locations on my Windows 10 machine. eg The "DIM" installs content to a folder "My DAZ 3D Library" under "Public Documents".
    Carrara itself and its native content have installed OK.
    I have problems with my DAZ content.
    Simple items are ok eg "Predatron Shipping Containers"
    WIth more complex items the Daz version does not show up. The Ps version gives partial success.
     - "Bus Rex Ps" is OK for me because fortunately the default texture is how I want it. Just as well because the alternative textures are not there.
    Which brings me to my current 2 big concerns
    - "MOSV Medium Open Scout Vehicle" by DzFire - "Ps" version loads default version. Carrara shows the "MOSV Tan" version that I want under "Poses" but no response to drag and drop. There is a button for "Import Preset (Poses, Materials)" which appears to run a meaningful process at the end of which nothing has happened - unless I am looking in the wrong place for a "Preset".
    - "Shantara City" by "Magix 101" - "Ps" - version gives me cameras, lights and props but no city. The "DS" version does not show up. Shantara City was working well on the previous computer.

Through all of this I get repeated popup prompts for the "runtime folder".

Simplest question: when installing DAZ Content, which option should I be attempting to use  - "Ps" or "DS"?

• Follow-up - I have fixed my problems so I will answer my own question.

I tried installing DAZ Studio 4.10 to see if that would add any value. It had similar problems, slightly better with textures for installed "Ps" versions but it could not find "DS" installs.

After much reading, I tried installing "PostgresSQL CMS" - mentioned in some online comments and I found it in the "Installation Manager".

I found no change at first, until in Carrara I clicked on the black button and tried "Auto Detect Runtimes", This had done nothing before CMS but now it sprang into life and found another content folder under "My Documents". On trial installing some "DS" content I found that:
    -  "Ps" content is installing into "My DAZ 3D Library" under "Public Documents"
    -  "DS" content is installing into "My DAZ 3D Library" under "My Documents".

That works for me now I know about it.

Suggestion. On a new fresh installation, starting off with DAZ with "Installation Manager", the installer for "Installation Manager" should include the "PostgresSQL CMS", 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Glad you got it sorted out.  Wish I could have been helpful.  I am filing away your note about a fresh installation for the nxt time I upgrade my hardware.

Follow-up - I have fixed my problems so I will answer my own question.

I tried installing DAZ Studio 4.10 to see if that would add any value. It had similar problems, slightly better with textures for installed "Ps" versions but it could not find "DS" installs.

After much reading, I tried installing "PostgresSQL CMS" - mentioned in some online comments and I found it in the "Installation Manager".

I found no change at first, until in Carrara I clicked on the black button and tried "Auto Detect Runtimes", This had done nothing before CMS but now it sprang into life and found another content folder under "My Documents". On trial installing some "DS" content I found that:

Suggestion. On a new fresh installation, starting off with DAZ with "Installation Manager", the installer for "Installation Manager" should include the "PostgresSQL CMS", 

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 303

Follow-up - I have fixed my problems so I will answer my own question.

Thanks for your input, I will try that! I had the same battle, and eventually was able to get Carrara to "see" my smart content. I ae been able to load the Genesis 2 male, but no matter what I do, his body and head morph dials simply won't show in the Parameters tab. I tried svereal things on suggestions by the very helpful forum, lilke reloading The figure from scratch after having installed the morphs in DIM. The PostgressSQL also runs fine.