Perhaps a Mass Installer for models?

shilar_aa3b93f9abshilar_aa3b93f9ab Posts: 11
edited November 2012 in The Commons

I love Poser and Daz3d, but man... I have a boatload of models to install. Problem is: There are no mass-installers anymore. I used to use 3D Content Installer (which has vanished, along with the author), but now there is nothing but "click/click/click, install, click the error message." Help?

Post edited by shilar_aa3b93f9ab on

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited November 2012

There's a downloader/installer coming from DAZ soon.

(Newbies take note, "DAZ soon" could mean "tomorrow" but much more likely it means "maybe within a decade, if you're lucky")

Post edited by araneldon on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oooh, I'm going to tell, you used that 4 letter word.

• shilar_aa3b93f9abshilar_aa3b93f9ab Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    There's a downloader/installer coming from DAZ soon.

(Newbies take note, "DAZ soon" could mean "tomorrow" but much more likely it means "maybe within a decade, if you're lucky")

hehe, I hope it's soonER :) I am installing my Poser/DAZ library to my new computer.... and it is a -pain-

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Just try to enjoy it. I just installed 4.5 a week or so ago after deleting all my libraries. I wanted a fresh start because it was such a mess. I then installed quite a bit of content and started to categorize it, but found it was way too difficult, so once again I started over with a clean board.

I am now installing one item at a time and organizing it as I go. It is a process, but I believe it will be well worth it in the long run for two reasons. One is I familiarize myself with the product be seeing what all it contains and the other is I know where in the hell it is.

The one problem I keep coming across is not being sure if I am satisfied with the way I am categorizing them. I keep saying to myself, "Do I need to change this to this", but I decided to go with my first thought instead because I will always be questioning the way I did it.

I have around a thousand products to install, but I don't think I will install half of them unless I believe I want to use something. At this point I am just installing Genesis content because all of it has Smart Content. I will then start with Generation 4 content, but I think I am only going to install items that have Metadata and update products once they include Metadata.

What the hell happens whenever we receive the Install Manager sometime down the road, I don't know. I guess I will cross that bridge when it comes.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

"I am now installing one item at a time and organizing it as I go. It is a process, but I believe it will be well worth it in the long run for two reasons. One is I familiarize myself with the product be seeing what all it contains and the other is I know where in the hell it is." Ledhead

Enthusiastically agree.

I'm old world and quite used to working in my folders. I actually; most of the time, install to a dummy folder, check everything, then drop it in my working folder, and double check. I very rarely have any content issues; app issues on the other hand :lol:

Like I keep saying, I know where my content is because I put it there ;)

Post edited by ManStan on
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I thought they were converting installers to zips.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I actually; most of the time, install to a dummy folder, check everything, then drop it in my working folder, and double check. I very rarely have any content issues

Exactly what I do as well.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

ropeman said:

Eventually that will happen, At the moment there isn't an arrival date mentioned.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,873
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    ropeman said:

Eventually that will happen, At the moment there isn't an arrival date mentioned.

The question is if the converter guys are converting faster than new realeses are being released. Otherwise it can take forever, literally.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited November 2012

chohole said:
    ropeman said:

In this case, I'm taking "eventually" as equivalent to the s-word. I've had a literal handful of new-style zip installers since they were first announced: I think one was a new item, the others were all very old stuff where the installer was re-done, most likely so the product would be easier to install on a modern OS. Everything else I've bought from DAZ recently, including brand new stuff, has been the old style installers. If there's any urgency to converting everything to the new system, I'm not seeing it.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • shilar_aa3b93f9abshilar_aa3b93f9ab Posts: 11
    edited December 2012

chohole said:
    ropeman said:

In this case, I'm taking "eventually" as equivalent to the s-word. I've had a literal handful of new-style zip installers since they were first announced: I think one was a new item, the others were all very old stuff where the installer was re-done, most likely so the product would be easier to install on a modern OS. Everything else I've bought from DAZ recently, including brand new stuff, has been the old style installers. If there's any urgency to converting everything to the new system, I'm not seeing it.

I don't see it either, which is why I can see a need to create a mass-installer. Maybe if there is a "DOS" code for silently installing I could make a bulk installer... that would be a lot better.

{EDIT} I just saw from another thread (I finally found it, sue me) that it is possible to copy the DS folders over to the new system... does this work for Poser as well?

Post edited by shilar_aa3b93f9ab on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    "I am now installing one item at a time and organizing it as I go. It is a process, but I believe it will be well worth it in the long run for two reasons. One is I familiarize myself with the product be seeing what all it contains and the other is I know where in the hell it is." Ledhead

Enthusiastically agree.

I'm old world and quite used to working in my folders. I actually; most of the time, install to a dummy folder, check everything, then drop it in my working folder, and double check. I very rarely have any content issues; app issues on the other hand :lol:

Like I keep saying, I know where my content is because I put it there ;)

same here. I have a backup runtime set up on my external backup drive that I constantly update/add to and if i need to reinstall or transfer to a new PC i am set. Then again, I do rely on "smart content" either, maybe that says something, LOL.