Keep Losing Renders

Is there really no "fail safe" on Daz Studio 4.9 for saving your renders?  I keep losing them due to closing it after a render is done.  I mean I can make a Word document and it will ask me to save it before closing.  Some of my renders take 6+ hours, and I will close Daz and it will ask me to save my Duf file but not the the render that took 6 hours.

I know you can opt to save to file instead of a separate window in Render Settings.  But I like to see the progress as I'm waiting all that time.

I just can't believe there's no way to retrieve it.  It just disappears??!!  I already tried the Save Last Draw function.  No dice.

I can open a duf file and do nothing to it, and it will ask me to save it every time.. but not Renders?

Lame. 

Comments

• If you only closed the render window, not Daz Studio itself, go to "File / Save Last Draw...".

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited June 2017

Once a render is finished, it writes to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render  

If you forget, you can go there and get your render, but you have to do it before you start DS up again as it gets deleted as soon as it starts.

edit: just discovered that this no longer works in the latest upgrades to DS 4.9.4.166.  I'm not sure if it still worked under DS 4.9.3.111 as I don't believe I've needed to rescue a render in quite awhile.  Okay, after some investigation, this does still appear to work in DS 4.9.4.177 provided the render has been written to file and DS has not been opened after it crashes.  It appears to get deleted if DS is closed properly, though.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

If you only closed the render window, not Daz Studio itself, go to "File / Save Last Draw...".

Last render

• Mattymanx said:

If you only closed the render window, not Daz Studio itself, go to "File / Save Last Draw...".

Last render

I opened Daz Studio and checked before I posted that... Save Last Render is what I remembered, but they must have changed it because now it says Save Last Draw. (DS 4.9)

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I have the opposite problem with Carrara. You can bring up a lot of little test windows with that program, especially when you're still learning the ropes, and every single one asks for confirmation when you click on the 'x' to close it. As far as I can tell there is no option to modify this behaviour, and it's the only thing about the program that drives me nuts. I've a feeling that the initial funding for it was obtained via the sponsorship of some RSI medication company that benefits from that kind of thing :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    Mattymanx said:

Last render

I opened Daz Studio and checked before I posted that... Save Last Render is what I remembered, but they must have changed it because now it says Save Last Draw. (DS 4.9)

I think that saves the image from the viewport, not the render - "Save Last Render" is just below it in the File menu, but greyed out till you've completed a render.

• MelanieL said:
    Mattymanx said:

Last render

I think that saves the image from the viewport, not the render - "Save Last Render" is just below it in the File menu, but greyed out till you've completed a render.

It's somewhere around there... wink

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited October 2016

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    AllenArt said:

Once a render is finished, it writes to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render  

If you forget, you can go there and get your render, but you have to do it before you start DS up again as it gets deleted as soon as it starts.

This does work, but only if you don't start DS first like Knittingmommy says. I got back more than one render that way ;)

Laurie

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,881
    Tig-71 said:

Is there really no "fail safe" on Daz Studio 4.9 for saving your renders?  I keep losing them due to closing it after a render is done.  

I don't really understand the question? When a render is finished you can save it from within the render window before closing it.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Also if you set up the Render Album tab.  Set it to Capture Renders and then you can adjust how many it saves, and a maximum size.

Like retrieving it from the Temp directory, this only works per session in Daz Studio, but it's something.

• Taozen said:
    Tig-71 said:

Is there really no "fail safe" on Daz Studio 4.9 for saving your renders?  I keep losing them due to closing it after a render is done.  

I don't really understand the question? When a render is finished you can save it from within the render window before closing it.

I believe the OP is saying that they have accidentally closed without saving and there isn't popup window asking if you really want to do that without saving.  I know I have several test windows open at times and I have inadvertantly closed out the last good render on more than one occasion as I hadn't saved it before closing out all of the unwanted test renders.  Usually, I do remember to 'Save Last Render' when that happens before closing out DS completely.  I'm not sure why DS doesn't have a popup as failsafe against accidentally closing out a render.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,881
    Taozen said:
    Tig-71 said:

I believe the OP is saying that they have accidentally closed without saving and there isn't popup window asking if you really want to do that without saving.  I know I have several test windows open at times and I have inadvertantly closed out the last good render on more than one occasion as I hadn't saved it before closing out all of the unwanted test renders.  Usually, I do remember to 'Save Last Render' when that happens before closing out DS completely.  I'm not sure why DS doesn't have a popup as failsafe against accidentally closing out a render.

OK. Well I usually always save a finished render before closing the window if there is a good chance I might want to keep it. I can always delete it again. Better save than sorry, lol.

But I agree, some more options than the current ones might be useful, in this context.

• Taozen said:
    Taozen said:
    Tig-71 said:

OK. Well I usually always save a finished render before closing the window if there is a good chance I might want to keep it. I can always delete it again. Better save than sorry, lol.

But I agree, some more options than the current ones might be useful, in this context.

Yes, I really should do that, too.  It really is bad policy on my end to not do that.  As you say, I can always delete later.  I really need to work on that.  :)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Still, if you keep closing Studio without saving the render first (e.g. frequent issue), another popup may not help much. That is, it may not be the software.

• Taozen said:
    Tig-71 said:

If you've only closed the render window, and haven't quit Studio, all your renders from the session are in a temporary folder somewhere on your computer. On a Mac, it's one of the subfolders of ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/ ; I don't know what it is on Windows.

• D W JohnsonD W Johnson Posts: 19
    edited December 2017

4.10 crashed on me and the normal "Save last render" feature is greyed out...and yes! if you reload Daz because you're in a hurry, it gobbles that image up.  

It's just as Knittingmommy said.  I made a shortcut to my desktop for the above  temp/render folder location. Super big time saver. Thanks! 

Edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on