Terradome 2

Would terradome 2 be useful for Carrara?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

If the question is , can it be used in carrara,. probably. it's for poser. it's geometry with morphs and texture maps and some HDRi's

You can make your own sky dome from a half sphere in carrara,. but..

Carrara already has a sky dome  (scene environment) and the realistic sky editor with multiple cloud layers,. and you can use HDR background images for a 360 environment background and scene lighting,.  you can aslo add volumetric clouds

Carrara has terrains.,. you can replicate and randomise the position of a few different terrains to create a more varied landscape

terradome uses morphs to deform a set of meshes to create the terrains,.

you could also use that principle in carrara,. or just use a terrain.

As a set of texture maps and HDRi's   it may be a useful puchase,.

Daz 30 day return if it don't work for you

• ok -thanks

Was trying to get a sense if this would be a huge timesaver and fast rendering or if just as well to use native Carrara functions.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

When I use skydomes in Carrara, I set them to not cast or recieve shadows (upper general settings) but also ask the lights to NOT affect them, then I set the shader to glow the color map. Works like a charm, and can even be used as global illumination if you want. I don't use GI, but I've tested it with skydomes--- works great!

TerraDome 2 could certainly be a good timesaver if you see stuff for it you like! It a cool product. 

Things like this can be fantastic for the same reasons to use them in Poser or Studio - we just need a quick environment to render in.

I've become a LOT faster at slapping together really fast scenes using the Carrara stuff these days, so I've been avoiding using it, but I have a wonderful system I've created with all of my skydomes in one scene - their shaders all set to Glow and the scene lights ignore them. All I have to do is turn on the one I need - day, night, sunset, morning, city, farmland, etc., works really well and renders REALLY FAST!!!