New Animation: "Luther The Demon Slayer"

Done for Renderosity's Halloween contest.  The animation was done in Carrara, using 3D elements purchased from Renderosity, DAZ3D and a few others.  The sound effects are from Digital Juice, the special effects in Particle Illusion, and the video edited in Magix Movie Edit Pro.   The inspiration was the great comic strip "Calvin & Hobbes", plus great horror movies like "The Exorcist" and "Rosemary's Baby". 

Luther The Demon Slayer.jpg
600 x 665 - 144K

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

Tremendous!!!!!!!

Great job.  Very inspirational - and humorous. 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Steve,  nicely done.yes The elements,story  and sound go well together.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Bravo!!! Loved it!!! devil

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016

heh, nicely done!

Did you happen to win the contest?, That was great!

(happy halloween, all!)

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • You had me at Calvin and Hobbs.  Really clever and well done.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Thanks to all for the kind words.  

Mindsong - No it didn't win.  You can see the winners here (download required but all are <50MB):

https://www.renderosity.com/2016-halloween-contest-winners-cms-18625

Unified Brain - Yes, Calvin & Hobbes is my alltime favorite comic strip.  I have "The Complete C&H", three big honkin' oversize books in a big heavy box set.  I often go through it looking for inspiration for a short animation.  Bill Watterson was very lucky to find a kid with an amazing imagination.  When he announced the end of the strip, a good friend of mine was outraged.  "Doesn't he know how much we need that strip!?!?"  He wasn't joking.  Attached is the last strip:

http://i.imgur.com/i6K7p.png

i6K7p.png
    1920 x 1200 - 466K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Nice to see a Raleigh chopper again,...allthough it brough back some painful memories.

Nice work Steve :)

3DAGE said:

Nice to see a Raleigh chopper again,...allthough it brough back some painful memories.

Nice work Steve :)

Thanks.  A little Googling indicates the Raleigh Chopper was a British product, I don't remember that name.  I think the bike in the video is supposed to be a Schwinn Stingray, from around the same time:

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/images/1981_schwinn_stingray.jpg

I also have painful "over the handlebars" memories, but it was on a bike that looked more like this:

http://www.theskeltons.org/bicycles/img/racer.jpg

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Calvin & Hobbes ++++ There's a lot more going on in there than most folks realize. I like the last strip you attached - pure class.

"the far side" and "bloom county" appeal to me the same way. Dilbert hits another chord entirely for obvious reason...

I was jumping (plywood on pile of rocks) on my stingray and the front-tire came off in mid air. Bit of a mess - hmmm, maybe that's when I hit my head... (grin)

--ms

Steve K said:

Thanks.  A little Googling indicates the Raleigh Chopper was a British product, I don't remember that name.  I think the bike in the video is supposed to be a Schwinn Stingray, 

Now that I think about it, I (dimly) recall Raleigh bikes being in the US shops back in the 60's, 70's.  I think of them as more "racing style" (like the one I crashed in the second link above), but probably just because that's what I was interested in.  So it could be a Raleigh Chopper.  

• Steve K said:
    Unified Brain - Yes, Calvin & Hobbes is my alltime favorite comic strip.  I have "The Complete C&H", three big honkin' oversize books in a big heavy box set.  I often go through it looking for inspiration for a short animation.  Bill Watterson was very lucky to find a kid with an amazing imagination.  When he announced the end of the strip, a good friend of mine was outraged.  "Doesn't he know how much we need that strip!?!?"  He wasn't joking.  Attached is the last strip:

I've got two books, Weirdos From Another Planet, and It's A Magical World (which contains the cartoon you posted).

The weapon in your video was both familiar and inspired.smiley

Steve K said:

I'm guessing you mean the water gun (Calvin's MO usually involved water balloons, and he usually ends up wet).  Surprisingly hard to find a 3D model, I *almost* decided to model it myself, should only take a few months with my modeling skills... but happily found this freebie:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/69836/gallery/11/Poser/Water-Gun-For-Poser

Many thanks to Uwe Goetz.

If you mean the holy water is familiar as a weapon, that would imply you've been fighting with Satan, the only one I know who it will work on.  It was inspired by this scene from "the Exorcist" (caution, pretty graphic)(the holy water part starts ~1:30):

In Neverwinter Nights RPG PC game, Holy Water has worked on a few minions of darkness ;)

Too bad we didn't have squirt guns. We had to get up close and personal!

• Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

I'm guessing you mean the water gun (Calvin's MO usually involved water balloons, and he usually ends up wet).  Surprisingly hard to find a 3D model, I *almost* decided to model it myself, should only take a few months with my modeling skills... but happily found this freebie:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/69836/gallery/11/Poser/Water-Gun-For-Poser

I was referring to the squirt gun.  It looked to me like a space gun out of one of Calvin's sci-fi fantasies.  I guess that my imagination is too vivid.smiley

Of course, as with any weapon you should first get some training in the use of holy water.  You want to avoid mistakes like this:

ROTFLMAO!!!

• Sooo....

What was that he was flinging off of the microphone, before he dipped it into the water? Priest spit?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Amazing work Steve, terrific animation!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Nice rain drops on the windows effects!

Xenopticon - I dunno, but after the mike got the dunking, I heard it censors dirty words now.

Thanks, Jonstark, it was fun doing it.  I wish Calvin was still around for more inspiration.

DesertDude - Thanks.  The rain drops are part of a Digital Juice FX package, demo reel here (I got it long ago before DJ went subscription, I don't know if they still sell it):