Dogwaffle post-processing of Carrara/Bryce png sequences

Probably to @Dartanbeck, but anyone else is encouraged to chime in...

If I have an animated backdrop 'png' file sequence of a scene that I'd like cartoon-ize a bit, is it pretty simple/possible to use Project Dogwaffle's animation and enhancement features to import and batch process the sequence to a toonized png sequence?

Based on what I've seen, it looks like just the sort of thing it can do, in addition to the core paint features.

(I have the DCG toon tools, and know that Carrara's toon rendering can provide some of this, but with external processing, I think I might be able to fine-tune the look I'm after, etc.)

While considering the above I'm also curious if DogWaffle does edge/detection outline rendering (given it's amazing element/motion tracking/masking, I'd bet it does)?

ideas/comments/tips?

tia,

--ms

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

You mean to actually use Howler to create the Toon effect from a straight render, right?

Not in an automatic function that I know of. DoggyFX (free download) has some tools for that kind of thing specifically, but it doesn't really just grab the outer edge and give it an outline. It does work and has options for tweaking... it's designed for cel shading, but straight photorealistic renders are difficult to get a clean cel shade effect in my experience - which isn't a lot. 

Howler is excellent in that it can import avi or sequenced image file, and can then save either as either. By the time they're in Howler, they're treated the same way - a filmstrip of images. When done, we can make them avi or sequenced no matter what they were before.

I must admit that I just came onboard with Dogwaffle in version 8.2, and now it's on 10, so I'm still new to a large part of it. 

Sorry I'm not much help. I was thinking of going for a sort of a Toony look for a little while, but changed my mind - so I haven't devoted much time into it. When I was thinking that it might be cool to make my animations through the "Oilify" artistic effect, I asked the developer, Dan Ritchie, if he knew of a way to animate the effect. He upgraded Howler with Oilify included in the animated filters!!! 

He's done a quite a few additions to the software that I asked for or offered as ideas, like mouse-wheel scrolling was another that we have after I requested it ;)

He never quits working on it - Ever!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016

Good tidbits - I've got the full version howler (9.2?) and have watched enough of the tutorials to know how little I know about the incredible capabilities of the tool.

My target may be as simple as loading the PNG series (I want to preserve alpha), run them through any adjustment(s) like contrast or 'watercolor stokes' that I'd make (these changes may changes may be scene-dependent...), and output a folder full of 'improved' PNGs, etc. 

I have PaintShopPro, which can also do batch processing/scripting, but it seemed like Howler could do it and is better suited for it... A good excuse to dig into it!

I like that the guys doing the project are so accesible and flexible. Not your usual situation by a long-shot.

I'll go poke around and see if I can zoom in on an answer. If it can do it, I'm sure they have a tutorial (!) -  I'll post back here if/when I learn anything!

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

I think the the only way to preserve the alpha would be to load it in as an animated brush, which will limit what you can do. Sorry about that - and I might be wrong - but I don't think so.

Here is DoggyFX

In the image on the right, note that there's a Toonify filter

Here is more information DoggyFX 1.29 

and the dowload link is at the bottom of This Page 

mindsong said:

I'll go poke around and see if I can zoom in on an answer. If it can do it, I'm sure they have a tutorial (!) -  I'll post back here if/when I learn anything!

I think there is a tutorial (can't seem to find it right now - gotta go) where Philip (or was it Dan?) used some simple methods to create a line effect - then he even made it squiggle as the hand-drawn cels of the old Charlie Brown movies.

I have been experimenting with some various methods for using the multi-pass render elements as selections and swap channel for enhancing and applying effects to my animations ;)

wow - it didn't occur to me that they would have a plugin, given the number of tweaks that can be done without one... very kewl - I need a light amount of 'toonifying', rather than the holy-grail (one button cel animation), so this tool might be just what I'm looking for.

thanks for digging into that! I'll let you know how my tests go - I've got to render the base sequence first, but it's a path to try ... off we go!

I know that some video editors and most photo editors have some of these kinds of effects too, but Howler just screams of having something novel/different in this vein, so I'm curious how it will go.

you rock!

--ms

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Mindsong :)

you may be interested in ExposureX ,. or SnapArt,..by Alienskin, the makers of EyeCandy

they're both post processing toolset's,..which can create artistic mediums such as pencil oil watercolour, and you can mix your own, then batch process a folder full of image with that customised filter.

www.alienskin.com

they should have Demo versions available to download and try

hope it helps :)

• Or just use GIMP (forever free)  in combination with this http://gmic.eu/ (best plugin ever) smiley

Ooooh, new toys to add to the kit... Thanks for the responses!

The Alienskin tools look infinite and promising and while I have/use GIMP, I didn't know about that plugin! That looks krazy! I haven't used GIMP in batch mode, but assume it can process a sequence of images, even if somehow called in a script/loop for each image frame? I've been using the Image-Magik toolkit and virtual-dub filters for most of my sequence post-work so far.

Both great pointers! thanks!

FWIW, my goal *was* to take fairly realistic background image sequences and 'lightly toonify' them for a anime-ish look. Looking at some of these options, maybe I want to consider some more edgy directions...

I both do and don't want to get distracted! Too many really incredible options.

cheers!

--ms

Yes... that looks really cool. I'll have to mention this to Dan - see if it might be a cool plugin for Dogwaffle!