genesis2 texture

hello evrybody!!!

I use often "old" V4, ands so on...Now I try to use genesis 2 female in C8,5 pro... I have it, with "razor cut pro" hair...

-can you  recommend me a very defined texture, sharp focus, for the female character??

- also, in the carrara render, the hair seems rather rough.. it seems that the alphas doesn't goes on a very "fuzzy" effect, very "soft" effect...

and last, ther is a new update?  bringing something about the genesis line???

thank you for help!!!

Comments

• also, I need a wet skin effect; I see in the shop a bundle which seems fine, but they say in the comments that it's used with Iray... Is it a wet skin genesis 2 female skin usable in C8,5????

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

There  are some carrara optimized skin shaders for Gen 2 female as well as male.

Here is a female one.

http://www.daz3d.com/dp-genesis-2-females-carrara-shaders-collection

• in fact, I own DP shaders for V6... I have put the folder "ringomonfort"  in "preset" shaders", and I have charged it in the shaders folder, when opening C8,5... But if I click on it to apply it, once selected the genesis 2 character,  it ask for all the jpg, and I can't find them...   well, I think I need an help to install it!!!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

The Carrara-optimized skin textures each require the base figure textures -- do you own V6?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

I have had C8.5 have occasional trouble finding the file.  Has something to do with my installation choices and file references.  Just need to correct it once.  The key is to find where the folder for the texture maps are.  For example, many texture maps for Genesis 2 are in the \Runtime\Textures\Daz\Characters\Genesis2 folder.  However, some vendors create their own folder in the Textures folder and put the files there.  For example, the texture maps for the Alani characer for Genesis 2 can be found in the \Runtime\SilverRaziel  folder.  The good news is that if you use DIM or whatever to find where installed files for your product are located, you only have to navigate to the folder once, not for each shading domain.  Then just click and drag that loaded global shader to your shader browser for future one-click use.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

Note that for me, the RingoMonfort skin shaders (Carrara) for DPVictoria 6 reference the default V6 maps caled "RyBelle" found in the \Runtime\Textures\Daz\Characters\Genesis2\Victoria6   folder.  So, if I try to load the V6 skin shader from the Carrara browser folder for RingoMonfort Victoria 6 to my model, then the first time I may get a file not found issue.  However, it is solved by navigating to the folder that has the texture maps (see RyBelle above).  Carrara then finds and loads all of the maps correctly for all of the shading domains.  I save that correctly loaded global shader back to the browser with a name like "loaded V6 shader" and have no future problems loading it.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

hello evrybody!!!

I use often "old" V4, ands so on...Now I try to use genesis 2 female in C8,5 pro... I have it, with "razor cut pro" hair...

-can you  recommend me a very defined texture, sharp focus, for the female character??

- also, in the carrara render, the hair seems rather rough.. it seems that the alphas doesn't goes on a very "fuzzy" effect, very "soft" effect...

and last, ther is a new update?  bringing something about the genesis line???

thank you for help!!!

For the Roughness of the hair, try rendering at Object Accuracy = 1.0 or 0.5

(Render Room, upper area, just under all of the check boxes) Shadow Accuracy can stay at 4, but you might get even better results by going for 2, 1, or even 0.5

To keep it at 2.0 for faster renders, take a look at the Bump channel. If it's using Bump, try turning the actual bump intensity down a bit

To do so, the Top Shader must be selected, then look at the list. Where bump is, you'll see the intensity slider.

But you said that you wanted Sharp Focus anyways, so you'd likely be wanting to take the first route I've mentioned - turn the Object Accuracy up to at least 1.0, 0.5 is even better, albeit a lot slower to render - but looks MUCH better. More crisp ;)

edited November 2016

in fact, I own DP shaders for V6... I have put the folder "ringomonfort"  in "preset" shaders", and I have charged it in the shaders folder, when opening C8,5... But if I click on it to apply it, once selected the genesis 2 character,  it ask for all the jpg, and I can't find them...   well, I think I need an help to install it!!!

Okay, so now in the Shader tab of the browser, look at the far right of the top of the browser window. You'll see a small row of icons. The furthest one to the right, looks like a dark sheet of paper, (File/Folder Menu) click that and select: Add Folder

Now browse to that Presets > Shaders folder (where you put the Ringo folder) select that. Note that if you select the entire "Shaders" folder, anything you add to that folder in the future will be available in there! :)   Otherwise you could just select the Ringo folder you made.

Once that's done:

Select Actor 

Go to the Texture Room

Drag the Ringo Shader preset onto the bib multi-colored ball on the top right of the Texture Room.

Go back to the Assemble Room Immediately

Click Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders

then Click Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Remove Unused Shaders

You're going to LOVE Ringo's shaders!!!

You'll still want to do like I said above, and use Object Accuracy = 1.0 or 0.5

NOTE:

Now that you have Ringo's awesome shader setup, you may also use those same shaders for other V6 textures by simply changing the texture maps in the Color, Highlight, and Bump channels for each shader. 

Enjoy!!! You're gonna love this!!!!

Oh... another tip

Try loading in the Three-Point Lighting preset found in the Scenes tab under Lighting Scenes. If you drag that preset into the instances tray on the right, under the word Scene, it'll all be inside of a single group. Select that group and rotate it until the camera in that group ends up in about the same spot as your camera - now the lights will be optimized for the angle of your camera - just make sure to aim them at your figure just the way you want them ;)

This video (at about 1:40) shows how I set up that 3 point lighting if the above sounds crazy! ;)

FileFolderMenu.jpg
    1367 x 727 - 548K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • thank you all of you for your help, and thank you so much, dartanbeck, for yourr time!! I ve been able to i nstall the  dp shaders, and effectively they are really powerfull!!!

I buy "wet, sweet and rain", install them via install manager, and I have (once again!) a curious problem: when I check, the folder is in "my daz library"... Opening Carrara, I update , in "content" that folder, but nope: nothing appear: it's installed, but impossible to find!  I miss something???

Sorry for leaving you hanging... frown I was away getting supplies from the far away city.

Okay, Daz Studio content is arranged in the Content folder under My Daz3d Library. Open that section in the browser and look in there.

I don't know what "wet, sweet and rain" is. So here's a little rundown:

Anything related to Genesis people, no matter which version of Genesis, is found in the "People" category.

Select the appropriate version of Genesis, and scroll down from there

• Top category - the Genesis figure
    • Characters - various characters made to work with this version, as well as their materials - most of them - others might be in Materials below
    • Clothing
    • Hair
    • Poses
    • Props
    • etc

That sort of thing. Daz3d animals and such are under Animals, scenery products seem to be a bit less organized, so I have to browse around a bit.

If we're really lost and can't figure out where something is, we can use DIM to help! 

• Find the product in the Installed tab
    • right-click and select "Show Installed Files"
    • Look for which folder the main stuf is in - not the Data folder

Does this help? If not, give me some more clues... we'll getcha going!!! 

Please know that I don't use Daz Studio all that much. So I haven't been buying much content that ONLY works with Daz Studio. But if it's something made to work with Genesis I'm fairly certain that I can help.

Also know that Genesis 3 does NOT work directly in Carrara. I guess there are work-arounds for getting poses exports to work for still renders, but I don't focus on stills, so I haven't been working with Genesis 3 at all. I like easy! :) even though I'm often doing thing that are less then easy! LOL

Oh... I even if it's something I don't regularly buy doesn't mean that I "can't" help... just that I might be less aware of how it's set up is all ;)

• oçh Dartanbeck,really many thanks for your help!!! 

I have to use, for an assignment, a wet skin, with drops of water... Now, I am ok with the genesis2-V6 character, textured (with your help!) with the carrara shaders... >If I understand well, it would be possible to add on top of the actual shaders  the shader of wet effect, as they are isolated by alphas...

So I buy "wet, sweat and rain", but it doesn't appear on the "people-materials-etc", once installed, and uploaded...  although I choose it as it seems to be for "genesis2"...

The other product I hesitate with was "wet body"... but now, I'm confused// does it doesn't worki, like the wet sweat etc product?     Is it usable on top of the Carrara shaders for V6???

I join screen capture to help to see what I'm about...

wetsweatandrain.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 422K
    wetsweatandrainwindow.jpg
    686 x 784 - 108K
    wetbody.jpg
    1457 x 917 - 417K

Yes, you can! Just not the same way you would with Daz Studio.The one for V4 and M4 (and any Generation 4) will work for V4, M4 (and other generation 4) as well as for the Genesis 1 Base Female and Base Male. While Wet Sweat and Drain will be for the Genesis 2 Female.

I'll put together some screenshots and instructions and get back to you. ;)

edited November 2016

If you've seen my videos, Carrara 8.5 First look and Carrara 8.5 First look2, you've seen how to set up initial shaders for Genesis 1's M5 character, along with Consolidating Duplicate Shaders and other tips. Those techniques apply to Genesis 2 figures as well - the same way.

This stuff is essential to using pretty much any sort of content in Carrara. Remeber, "Content" as the term is most commonly used in these forums, is made for either Poser or Daz Studio. In Carrara, these things load and work better and easier than they do in any other software other than those intended apps. But not all files work entirely in the same fashion as they would in either Poser or Daz Studio - so we have to learn some extra steps.

Personally, even using these extra steps is easier and more powerful than working in either Poser or Daz Studio... so it's still a huge WIN! for me. Just keep in mind that not everybody shares that same opinion ;)

=======================================================

Okay, so we've got V6's main shaders set up. To add custom texture maps, like these wet, sweat and drain, we'll need to figure out where they exist.

So go to DIM, find the product, and right-click > Show Installed Files

We're looking for the folder inside of My Daz3d Library > Runtime > Textures, which is probably the name of the artist, but might be something else. So scroll through the list until you find which folder that is.

Now refer to the images below.

Notice in this first one that we're looking at the Highlight Channel of the Limbs. The Highlight Channel is where the Spec maps go. The product you're looking to use modifies the Spec maps you're using - no matter which texture set you're using, to apply wetness and/or droplets of water.

This map is nice and dark to start with - which is perfect for this. Please note that some maps might require that we lower the brightness slider under the map for best results.

To do this, we can understand that we want the maps from the product to "Add" to our current spec maps, which will brighten the areas that are made to look more wet and/or have shiny droplets. This image shows us applying the Add function through Operators.

Now we need to Add the new spec map (from Wet, Sweat, and Drain) to our current one. Source 2 is currently empty, to to make things easy, let's just Ctrl + Drag our current Spec map into Source 2 to give it a Texture Map loader ;)

Now click the upper folder of the Texture Map loader in Source 2 and browse to the folder we've look up from DIM - find the Limbs map and load that one in here.

Note that if we're also adding water droplets, we'll also want to do this to the bump channel - same procedure ;)

TIP:

If the highlights turn out way too bright or blown out, try using "Multiply" instead of Add. This can be done the same way as the step where we've applied "Add", and the maps we've added will remain as they are! :)

================================================================

Now repeat this for the Torso and the Face! Consolidating Duplicate Shaders before doing any of this makes it so that we only have these three shaders to update for the whole figure!

V6_SpecHighlight_A.jpg
    1367 x 729 - 612K
    V6_SpecHighlight_B_Add.jpg
    744 x 717 - 377K
    V6_SpecHighlight_C_CtrlDrag.jpg
    668 x 477 - 223K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Let me know if this works for ya! ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I've a feeling that since these (Wet, Sweat, and Rain) textures are built for G2,. they should show up in "Smart content", rather than "Content"

it's annoying that Carrara has no way to filter out DS folders which either have stuff which doesn't apply to carrara,. (DS only items)

or stuff which carrara cannot see, (apparently empty folders)

In Carrara,. Select the G2 figure in your scene, Go to the Smart Content tab,.  then you can select by "Files" (all stuff) ,. "Categories",  or "Products" name (A to Z). 

The other set (WetBody) is for V4 etc,. which will also work on genesis 1,.

Those should show up in the standard content for poser/ds/ in the "Poses" folder.