directories dilemna

I am so sorry to post this, as I know most of you on here are Carrara gurus, and I am just a hobbyist...but... I only use Carrara. No poser or DAZ studio. I was using only V4 for years and manually downloaded everything into my runtime, so only had to point to one runtime. Now, using DIM for Genesis 6 characters, there is a new directory in my C drive/users/my libraries  etc etc, as well as a content/runtime in my F:program files/eovia/DAZ3D/poser 7 and F: program files/eovisa/DAZ3D/Daz STudio (or some such directories - I'm at work and typing from memory).

Do I need to somehow consolidate all those directories so that Carrara can see things, or does Carrara somehow know how to see them (not likely)? Is there a tutorial or thread that clearly explains exactly how to do it? I do not have good luck with the search funtion here on DAZ.

Thanks for any help. again.

Jay

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Jay :)

The folders inside the "program files" shouldn't have any content. (if you don't use either Poser or Daz Studio)

I suppose it depends on whether you had any content installed,. into a "runtime" folder,.. before you began using DIM,. you may have pointed DIM to that location,.

Since windows 7,. the Users files are stored under the User/MyDocuments,. or Public /Documents,. (for security reasons)

Poser and Daz Studio content installations also changed at that time.

DIM will use the Public/Documents folder to create a Daz3D / MyLibrary folder.

This is where all you Daz3D / Poser content files will be installed to,... rather than directly into the Program files/Daz3d/My Library, or, Poser / Runtime.

Genesis doesn't apear in the same Poser/Figures structure,.. it's smart content.

Daz Studio, uses a Database to provide "smart content" (genesis and above) .

DIM manages this database, and adds each product intalled,. it also uses this database to supply Carrara with a list of any installed content.

So,. Yes,. Carrara can see your content files which were installed using DIM,. wherever they're installed to.

as long as you have installed the Postgres database,. and you're using Dim to install stuff.

anything you've manually installed,... Dim doesn't know about.

you'll still have the older Poser "Runtime" and Daz Studio "Library"  folder views in the Content section of the browser, for older content, such as V4 and before.

Hope that makes sense and helps

• Thanks for the reply!
    As I left the house this morning my computer was installing Postgres.  I hadn't realized I needed it but read somewhere that I did. My new question is: Will Postgres "find" anything previously installed, or did it need to be there from the beginning?
    Thanks!
    Jay

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Yes ,. DIM keeps a list of what stuff it's installed,. it'll update that data, to the Postgres syetem,. and you should be all good.

glad to help :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

After PostgreSQL is installed, go to the Installed tab in DIM, click the Products checkbox at the top of the list to select everything, then right-click on any product and choose "Re-Import Metadata" > "for All Selected":.  That will add everything that you already installed to the database.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    jmlazgar said:

Thanks for the reply!
    As I left the house this morning my computer was installing Postgres.  I hadn't realized I needed it but read somewhere that I did. My new question is: Will Postgres "find" anything previously installed, or did it need to be there from the beginning?
    Thanks!
    Jay

Nope. It only recognized what DIM has installed - to my knowledge. There may be a way for Daz Studio to add things to it's database, but otherwise it'll only 'know' what DIM has put into it.

However, after I've started using DIM, I will never NOT use it again - I don't think. It really ROCKS!

Remember those times when everything (from Daz3d) was delivered via installers? All of thise clicks to get EACH product into the runtime. 

DIM makes this all incredibly immediate. It also makes it very easy to relocate products into new directories - though issues with saved files using the older location will still exist - DIM can't fix that.

But it also makes for a great little utility for knowing where to find files that we just can't seem to figure out their location, like textures under names we'd never be able to guess, etc.,

I am a Carrara user - not much of anything else. So I still like to use my older Poser Runtime structures. So I used DIM to create my runtime structures and used it to reinstall all of my older Poser format figures and their support content. Then I let it install all Genesis and Daz Animals and other Daz Studio-Only products to the default My Daz3d Library

• OK, thanks for everything. I like Genesis 2 much better than V$/M4, which I loved. Just really struggling to get used to where to find all the DIM installed stuff. I think installing postgres, I am hoping things will clear up. Will know when I get home. Thanks again for all help

Jay

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I just wrote this in another thread:

Inside the My Daz3d Library in the Content tab, 

Anything related to Genesis people, no matter which version of Genesis, is found in the "People" category.

Select the appropriate version of Genesis, and scroll down from there

• Top category - the Genesis figure
    • Characters - various characters made to work with this version, as well as their materials - most of them - others might be in Materials below
    • Clothing
    • Hair
    • Poses
    • Props
    • etc

That sort of thing. Daz3d animals and such are under Animals, scenery products seem to be a bit less organized, so I have to browse around a bit.

If we're really lost and can't figure out where something is, we can use DIM to help! 

• Find the product in the Installed tab
    • right-click and select "Show Installed Files"
    • Look for which folder the main stuf is in - not the Data folder

Does this help?