Mohawk Hair

I picked up the Mohawk Hair product (http://www.daz3d.com/mohawk-hair) because it was exactly what I needed but didn't realize it was for carrara.

So I downloaded the Carrara trial hoping that I could export the hair as an obj and use it in Daz studio.

But I'm not sure where to begin. I think I'm loading the hair and it's listed on the right side of the screen under objects, but there's just an empty box in the center view.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hair isn't real geometry,. it's a rendered effect,. the hairs are generated ate render time, based on a few guide strands of dynamic hair, which the user can place, and shape.

Hair is created in Carrara by defining a "Growth area",. this is normally a selection of polygons on the model, or on a "hair cap" fitted to the model,. so,. in order to see any hair,. it needs to be applied to an object, (normally the figure it was made for) . or a hair cap,..

Simply adding the hair to an empty scene won't generate anything, because it has no surface to grow from.

There are similar "hair systems" for daz studio,. I don't know if any of those can be exported as OBJ,. but in Carrara, it's not an option,. since the hair is not made from geometry, it's generated at render time as an effect.

You could open M4, add the hair to his head,. and render it,.. or,. animate, simulate the hair dynamics, and render,. you may like using carrara :)

or,..

Daz3D have a 30 day return policy.

Hope it helps.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I might have to return it :(

The readme simply states Using the hair:

• Create a new scene (medium is best). Bring in Michael 4, Freak 4 or Hiro 4.
    • Once the figure is loaded, open up the hierarchy, so you can see all of the parts.
    • Open up the bottom browser to the objects area, so you can see the hair object.
    • Put your mouse pointer over the hair object and hold down the left button while dragging it over to the properties list on the right.
    • Release the button when the word model is highlighted.
    • This will put the hair into the list and parent it to the head so that it will move along with the head when posing.
    • IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO DO THIS BEFORE POSING THE FIGURE.
    • The hair will go into the correct position even if you apply it after the figure is posed.
    • When applying shaders to the hair keep in mind that the shaders are layered. After entering the shader room, select the shader you wish to use and while holding down the mouse button, drag it onto the colored sphere at the top right and release. This will apply the shader correctly to all of the hair.
    • If the basic Mohawk looks too thin/fine, there are two options for filling it out.
      • With the hair selected, go to the shader room. Select the first of the shaders and then select "thickness" from the list on the left. Change the top number from 50 to 65. This will cause the root to be thicker, thus making the hair look coarser and fuller.
      • If you want to keep the finer look, change the number of hairs. In the Assembley room with the hair selected, click on the tab "hair group" in the right hand properties box. Next make sure hair group (versus sides or stubble) is selected. Up the number of hairs from 15,000 to 25,000. This will add more hair to the Mohawk section while retaining the finer look.

​I loaded M4, drag/dropped the hair onto his head and still don't see anything except a bounding box :(

Although the readme implies you should be able to see something, I'm guessing you are correct and nothing will show until render, which means no geometry to export as an obj.

Thank you for answering me though

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

For use within Carrara, purchased strand-based hair sometimes is loaded invisible just depending upon how the vendor set it up.  There are two places to check.  One is in the Assemle room, select the hair (not the hair cap if one exists) and make sure that the "visible" box is checked in the "general" tab.  The second place is in the hair modeling room.  With the hair selected, click the wrench icon in the upper right to enter the modeling room.  Under the general tab there is an area for "hair model."  Make sure the boxes for "visible" and "show in 3d view" are both checked.

Can't help you wth exporting as an obj, although I believe one of the new plugins (either the dynamics cloth or the no poke through plugin) can convert dynamic hair to obj.

Post edited by Diomede on

Yeah, I checked both rooms and both were empty :(

I'll have to see if I can find something somewhere that looks almost exactly like that

Thank you for trying

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Just one more idea.  You said you "loaded M4, drag/dropped the hair onto his head"

I believe that that hair product was grown directly on the figure mesh.  Have you tried clicking and dragging the hair to the "model" in the M4 group?  When you load and open the M4, should see "Model" and "hip".  You open the hip hierarchy to find the head. I don't think that is where that hair goes because I don't think this product uses a hair cap.   Instead, try the "model." 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016

There's a pair of genesis1-based mohawks out there that might be in the $4 sale section right now if you can't get the carrara option to work. They're a bit curly for my taste, but look well done for traditonal hair and I'm certain they can be 'fit' to other characters with some tweaking. They may have straightening morphs too, so I'm just going from the promos...

I also recall a couple of more edgy mohawks for the M4/V4 characters that came over from RDNA. Look in their store, but you may have to wait for a sale if you want decent pricing.

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

Ugh, I didn't notice the "model" right under Michael 4 in the scene heirarchy before. I can see it now, but when I try to export it to obj, then import it into Daz, there's no geometry. I don't know if there is any way to make it into geometry either. (I've only just downloaded the Carrara trial and opened it for the first time today)

• no sadly not

LAMH in D|S you can, Poser hair you can with Hair converter but not Carrara hair

I often wish I could, I am sure it would be possible to code it with the SDK but those who can all say its not practical.