Spherical cameras and 3D in Carrara

Hi, all. I've had some pretty good success using Carrara's sperical camera to render 360 degree images and movies for youtube and PlaystationVR.  One thing I haven't been able to figure out though, is how to create a 3D side-by-side image that would create proper 3D on PSVR.  

Any suggestions! :)

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Carrara's default render engine, doesn't have that feature.

Octane renderer (plugin for Carrara) has it, and also has 32bit EXR export,..  I think lux may also have it.

cottage_anaglyph.jpg
    1673 x 974 - 714K
  • Cool! I'll check it out.  Thanks!  :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

There's another thread (recent) around here where ToeJam gives her recipe for VR 360

• yeah ddvmor has said he has done some but I too cannot figure out the stereoscopic ones even though iClone and Octane render do side by side or top bottom as well as anaglyph

the youtube metadata does not have a way to detect this

in carrara engine two renders through side by side converging cameras

( parent both to a target helper and point at modifier on each to another parented to it for converge point) 

then join the videos with Stereomoviemaker would be the way to do side by side top bottom but no idea how to play it as VR

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016

I assume you're exploring stereoscopic 3D rather than the usual use of the '3D' term in this neighborhood?

With the spherical camera, would something as simple as moving the camera in the 'x' some distance - depending on the scale of the scene (and possibly adjusting for convergence in y/z) and doing the second shot work? Then use virtualdub or a 3D capable video editor (magix MovieEdit or Sony Vegas family), or the free stereo-movie-maker tool:

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr/

Which can do most anything - producing AVI files.

I know @horo, over in the bryce forums did a quicktime QTVR with anaglyth (red/cyan glasses) images that had to have solved the same L/R dual image problem. I wonder if the tricks are recorded there?

Please let us know what you learn, as I am also interested in this technique and we might be able to put something compelling together if we get enough inputs/tricks in one place!

@3DAge - those features that make octane even more of a must-buy keep coming, don't they. I have yet to hear of anyone who has taken the leap say it was a bad move. Sigh... Time to stop tossing nickles at the PC+ stuff I don't really need, and save a real buck for the octane engines, isn't it...?

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

Using Sony Vegas (now owned by Magix), my older version at least, we can import stereoscopic footage from cameras that shoot that, or we can do as mindsong suggests - and to get the camera placement correct we can use any Daz3d (or other, for that matter) figure, and place the cameras at each eye of the figure - that's the distance suggested by Vegas. Once the cameras are aligned, the figure can be deleted. Now shoot each camera separately and import them separately into the stereoscopic app.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

There is a product just posted on Rendo which seems to provide for Carrara to render for this type of 3D image.  I haven't tried it but could be interesting for those who are into such things.

• There's an old thread that talks about how to make stereoscopic images: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1818/red-cyan-3d-glasses-recommended-to-look-at-this-thread#latest. Creating the two images is very easy in Carrara. all you need is two offset cameras. It can also be used on animations. There's plenty of free and not free software to combine images and clips. 

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited November 2016
    mindsong said:

I assume you're exploring stereoscopic 3D rather than the usual use of the '3D' term in this neighborhood?

With the spherical camera, would something as simple as moving the camera in the 'x' some distance - depending on the scale of the scene (and possibly adjusting for convergence in y/z) and doing the second shot work? Then use virtualdub or a 3D capable video editor (magix MovieEdit or Sony Vegas family), or the free stereo-movie-maker tool:

I know @horo, over in the bryce forums did a quicktime QTVR with anaglyth (red/cyan glasses) images that had to have solved the same L/R dual image problem. I wonder if the tricks are recorded there?

Please let us know what you learn, as I am also interested in this technique and we might be able to put something compelling together if we get enough inputs/tricks in one place!

@3DAge - those features that make octane even more of a must-buy keep coming, don't they. I have yet to hear of anyone who has taken the leap say it was a bad move. Sigh... Time to stop tossing nickles at the PC+ stuff I don't really need, and save a real buck for the octane engines, isn't it...?

cheers,

--ms

I use Fusion (free version), it is possible to produce somewhat good effect with 2D displacement driven by Depth Map, I wonder, since most of these anagliphics algorithms use some kind of automatic distance estimation is there any software which accounts for a rendered depth maps ?

There is a GIMP plugin which does that (G'MIC) but only uses one image and one depth map, that is what I simulate in Fusion where it's much faster and it can be done on image sequences ...

I wonder what software David Brinnen (from Brian's link) used in that first render of his, it is awesome smiley

Post edited by FifthElement on
  • I use Stereo Master and ShowMe3D for stills and I've tried Anaglyph Workshop: Movie Edition for animations.  Both are for the Mac.

edited November 2016
    mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

I use Fusion (free version), it is possible to produce somewhat good effect with 2D displacement driven by Depth Map, I wonder, since most of these anagliphics algorithms use some kind of automatic distance estimation is there any software which accounts for a rendered depth maps ?

There is a GIMP plugin which does that (G'MIC) but only uses one image and one depth map, that is what I simulate in Fusion where it's much faster and it can be done on image sequences ...

I wonder what software David Brinnen (from Brian's link) used in that first render of his, it is awesome smiley

Fusion can also use (is it 16 or 32 bit?) UV coordinates maps. I've often wondered if Carrara's 8 bit UV coordinates maps would work. The example I've seen in use was for their volumetric fog - was pretty cool.

But furthermore, I wonder if these other apps that people are using can use these types of data outputs. I'm sure whatever ILM came up with does. 

As much as I love watching this stuff evolve, I just can't (yet) devote enough energy into getting involved frown Maybe some day.

Fusion, on the other hand, I am getting a bit more involved with. Still trying to sort out whether to use it or HitFilm or perhaps both. There are a LOT of things that I love about HitFilm, but the particle emitter isn't available in the free version, where Fusion's is really wonderful in their free version. I think anyways... haven't actually tried it myself yet.

(EDIT: I removed all of that babble I had in here and moved it the Question for Dartanbeck thread where it fits better)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

ILM X-Lab release on Verizon - Rogue One: Recon 360 Experience "Behind the Scenes discussion"

• This works for Poser scenes rendered in Carrara

• mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

Thank you.  I can answer that question too...

Those were rendered using Bryce and this thing Horo and I made http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-true-3d-rendering to streamline the process.

I love it when we get a nice visit from the Master - David Brinnen! Hi David!

I guess it's my turn to visit your camp now. I surely wish I was literate towards Bryce. It's such a wonderful looking piece of kit!

This works for Poser scenes rendered in Carrara

Wow! This is very cool!

• I love it when we get a nice visit from the Master - David Brinnen! Hi David!

I guess it's my turn to visit your camp now. I surely wish I was literate towards Bryce. It's such a wonderful looking piece of kit!

Ha!  Hi!  Well honestly I don't feel very masterful of anything.  Bryce, in the way it presents itself, is at odds with almost anything else in that does something similar, so to the uninitiated it appears somewhat strange.  But since I picked up Bryce 2 first, I suppose it is easy for me to overlook these pecularities.  The 3D kit uses Bryce components to build a little "rig" that partially automates the creation of stereoscopic images generated from Bryce scenes.  Bryce is flexible enough to do things like this, but it was never intended.  Which of course makes it an interesting challenge.  Horo is really the one who undestands the nitty gritty of the stereoscopic viewing process, I just cobbled together the Bryce mechanics.  That's the kind of problems I like to solve, which now I've got into modelling, I find the process of picking appart models for UV mapping scratches a similar itch.  It's just the right kind of complicated for me.

• mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

Those were rendered using Bryce and this thing Horo and I made http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-true-3d-rendering to streamline the process.

Thanks for chipping in Dave, I was under impression that you used some kind of external software ...

I used to be Bryce user long time ago, so long ago that I remember Bryce Camps and when Clay and Agent Smith started, good times devil

Horo is really the one who undestands the nitty gritty of the stereoscopic viewing process, I just cobbled together the Bryce mechanics.  That's the kind of problems I like to solve, which now I've got into modelling, I find the process of picking appart models for UV mapping scratches a similar itch.  It's just the right kind of complicated for me.

Horo is truly a master too! Love that guy!

Yes... I was really happy to see that you've been making models... really, Really Nice models! Fantastic job!

What are you using, Modo?

mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

I used to be Bryce user long time ago, so long ago that I remember Bryce Camps and when Clay and Agent Smith started, good times devil

Really? Is there any software you haven't used?

One day I'm going to open my Bryce 7 Pro, pick up some Brinnen/Horo educational courses, and get down with that wonderful software. It's just too cool to not mess with!

• Never used big boys except Lightwave, I own version 10 which is fantastic, but I have not used it in a while, these days I use Carrara and Vue pretty much for everything smiley

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited November 2016

Horo is really the one who undestands the nitty gritty of the stereoscopic viewing process, I just cobbled together the Bryce mechanics.  That's the kind of problems I like to solve, which now I've got into modelling, I find the process of picking appart models for UV mapping scratches a similar itch.  It's just the right kind of complicated for me.

Horo is truly a master too! Love that guy!

Yes... I was really happy to see that you've been making models... really, Really Nice models! Fantastic job!

What are you using, Modo?

mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

Really? Is there any software you haven't used?

One day I'm going to open my Bryce 7 Pro, pick up some Brinnen/Horo educational courses, and get down with that wonderful software. It's just too cool to not mess with!

Bryce Camp! FifthElement, now we are delving back into the mists of time.  My only knowledge of this golden age comes from tales from Clay, who may, or may not, be dabbling in the delights of Terragen - and who can blame him, Terragen can do some nice landscapy things.  I have dabbled myself, but not extensively.

Dartanbeck, depending on how well you are familar with Bryce, there are many tutorials here http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/  for if you get stuck or of course, feel free to ask me directly, mail at davidbrinnen dot co dot uk and I will offer what help I can.

Yes, Modo.  I decided it was time to broaden my skill base, initially I began with DS, since that is closer to home and I already had some understanding of it.  I focused on materials and the rendering side of things, exploring the ins and outs of the render engine(s) - I got the Octane plugin to offer some alternative to 3D delight.  So sort of getting there, then Iray turned up, and instead of feeling thrilled to have a new toy to play with (as I would have if the software had been Bryce) I just felt miserable at having something more to learn.  At that point I recognised that DS wasn't for me.  I trialed Modo, following some tutorials by Peter Stammbach https://www.youtube.com/user/stammpe2  and I was sold.  It was DAZ's Allen Renfeldt that tipped me off on Modo, so I have him to thank for that suggestion.  I don't reget the purchase, though Modo is pricey, it is worth it for what I'm doing.  He also tipped me off to use UV Layout http://www.uvlayout.com/  for the UV mapping.  Which was again another good tip.  I could wibble on about UV mapping and modeling for hours - but I know that is drifting off topic.

Post edited by David Brinnen on

Yeah... sorry for the off topic here... haven't seen David in a  l o n g  time!

It was Allen who's also turned me onto Modo - though I haven't actually tried it. Carrara has me fully satisfied for what I'm doing (trying to make my animated movies using content). My pal has started trying his hand at making tutorials for UV Layout - I think he's doing pretty good, too ;)  Garstor's Tutorials

Okay... end OT! ;)   I think?

• Yeah... sorry for the off topic here... haven't seen David in a  l o n g  time!

It was Allen who's also turned me onto Modo - though I haven't actually tried it. Carrara has me fully satisfied for what I'm doing (trying to make my animated movies using content). My pal has started trying his hand at making tutorials for UV Layout - I think he's doing pretty good, too ;)  Garstor's Tutorials

Okay... end OT! ;)   I think?

Well, just let me know if you start another thread about Modo or UV layout and I'll happily throw in my "two pennorth".  Because the way I model is wrapped up with UV mapping.  Having learned the hard way...  To begin with UV mapping took 4x the modeling time, now it is about 2/5 th's.  That's not because I am any better at UV mapping, but because I model with UV mapping in mind.  It is the six pees "prior planning prevents p*** poor performamce".  Is p*** a swear word in the US?  The internet says yes, so I will include *** to save DAZ undue offence.  Thanks for the link, I've added to my watch list!

I have a thread here, where we can talk about all of this stuff... Modo, UV Layout, Bryce... anything we want!

UV Unwrapping

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016

I've used and like the Bryce 3D-rig mentioned above. You *do* have to be able to navigate Bryce well-enough to place and parent the camera-rig(s), so like most-thing-bryce, there's a 'getting started' curve, but worth the investment, once taken. The Docs that come with it are generic-enough and complete enough to be useful for 3D-stereo rendering in general - David and Horo always do a great job with the docs (PDFs and vids.).

The videos that David has collected and his own huge collection (many of which are part of his pay-for packages and generously free-to-watch) are almost as numerous and all-encompassing as the project-dogwaffle series. Not enough hours in a minute, I say!

Anyone who wants to play with Bryce for a particular feature (e.g. real HDR skies) can always count on the Bryce crew in that forum to help - much like the Carrara folks here.

Lastly, back on-topic -sort of, David and Horo have also put together a similar 'rig' for doing spherical maps of Bryce scenes that can be HDRI and/or simply mapped to Carrara skydomes if needed.

http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-spherical-mapper

and similarly

http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-scene-converter

Like here in the Carrara world,: good folks, cool products, and huge potential. We gotta support our SW cousins and you might find some lttle-known feature that just nails a problem in your workflow!

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

...and to get better acquainted with Bryce, subscribing to David Brinnen's YouTube channel is a Must!