Runtime error program request termination in unusual way

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited November 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Aaaargh.

Had a scene with multiple figures, conforming clothes, mostly prop hair, but also 2 dynamic hair.  Was doing fine.  However, at one point I was navigating the director's camera and got the following error message.  Frankly, I have had much bigger scenes so it should not have been a memory error.  Any insights on this error message?

Scene contained

1 G2F morphed to be Stephanie 6 with Ringo's skin shader and the dynamic hair called swept away, along with a G2F dress that I had done some custom 3D paint on.

1 M4 with the Daz hi res skin shaders, everyman dynamic hair, and the regency M4 conforming clothing

2 V3s with prop hair and V3 morphing clothes dresses (morphing starlet dress and morphing fantasy dress)

1 SP3 with prop hair and SP3 morphing clothes dress

1 M3 with prop hair and the M3 poet shirt and M3 morphing clothes pants 

1 M2 with prop hair and a conforming outfit from Daz's Michael cothes collection.

Oh Nooooooooooo.JPG
1513 x 931 - 190K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

It's hard to say. Internet browser being open can eat up a lot of memory.

Were the shaders consolidated? Any objects deleted without removing them?

Yeah, I've had a lot more figures than that in many scenes without issues, but I've also crashed Carrara with just a few... there are so many factors to try and summon a guess....

======================================

I've heard discussions regarding saving figures using compression being bad - yet I save everything I do using compression, a rare exception being when I'm quickly saving small scenes for testing stuff and working out answers for questions here on the forum and such.

That being said, I have a workflow where I work out individual people individually and save them to the browser, with all shaders optimized and consolidated - same with their clothing and hair.

Then I do the same with the actual scene - get it all optimized, consolidated and lit - then I save it to the browser.

After that, I bring in my individual characters, each of whom were already optimized and consolidated - and I've had a lot of success working this way - even though I save everything with compression and a preview render.

=====================================================

Still... not sure what upset Visual C++. Always a bummer when that happens.

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes Carrara can tend to 'stick' unless given a nudge by running something else in the foreground. For this I always just go to my render folder and open an image, which almost always nudges Carrara back out from what I would describe as being stuck. I'm not sure if that's a Visual C++ thing or not (?) 

Is such a Nudge just a silly coincidence and I'm not actually doing anything but pacifying my own impatience? Perhaps - but it doesn't seem so. There have been times when I would just wait and it almost always seems to take much longer if I do that instead of Nudging it... so who knows?